“cittam pabhassaram, akandukehi kilesehi": sutta reference?

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
fivebells

“cittam pabhassaram, akandukehi kilesehi": sutta reference?

Post by fivebells »

On page 72 of Small Boat, Great Mountain, Ajahn Amaro translates “cittam abhassaram, akandukehi kilesehi” as “the heart’s nature is intrinsically radiant; defilements are only visitors,” citing "A I.61". I am having trouble finding this sutta. This isn't it, as the Pali doesn't match. Googling for "akandukehi kilesehi" doesn't seem to turn up anything informative. Perhaps he is using an unusual transliteration?

Anyway, I'd appreciate a link to this sutta, and preferably an independent translation.
piotr

Re: “cittam pabhassaram, akandukehi kilesehi": sutta referen

Post by piotr »

Note (!) that "nature" & "intrinsically" are absent in the Pāli original.
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

Thanks, piotr. I'd found that by looking for A 1.6.1 in the PTS system, but the translation seemed so different and the Pali didn't seem like a good match. I can see now that a lot of his Pali words have roots in common with the A 1.6.1-4 Pali, though. I think you're probably right.
Ananda26

Post by Ananda26 »

fivebells wrote:On page 72 of Small Boat, Great Mountain, Ajahn Amaro translates “cittam abhassaram, akandukehi kilesehi” as “the heart’s nature is intrinsically radiant; defilements are only visitors,” citing "A I.61". I am having trouble finding this sutta. This isn't it, as the Pali doesn't match. Googling for "akandukehi kilesehi" doesn't seem to turn up anything informative. Perhaps he is using an unusual transliteration?

Anyway, I'd appreciate a link to this sutta, and preferably an independent translation.
From the section of the ones in Anguttara Nikaya, Numerical Discourses of the Buddha.
49. ‘‘Pabhassaramidaṃ, bhikkhave, cittaṃ. Tañca kho āgantukehi upakkilesehi upakkiliṭṭha’’nti. Navamaṃ.

50. ‘‘Pabhassaramidaṃ, bhikkhave, cittaṃ. Tañca kho āgantukehi upakkilesehi vippamutta’’nti. Dasamaṃ.

Paṇihitaacchavaggo pañcamo.