Seventeen thought moments

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
SarathW

Seventeen thought moments

Post by SarathW »

Did Buddha talk about seventeen thought moments? If so can you give me the link for the related Sutta.
Thanks

For the benefit of the beginner please read the attached link, to learn about seventeen thought moments.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el322.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
mikenz66

Re: Seventeen thought moments

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi SarathW,

There are two issues here:

1. Did the Buddha teach the Abhidhamma? This is a debate which belongs outside this particular forum, in The great Abhidhamma Pitaka authenticity debate

2. Where are the mind-moments spelled out (in the Abhidhamma itself, or in the Commentaries)?

I don't know the answer to the second question, since I only have a copy of the Comprehensive Manual of the Abhidhamma, which is a late commentary [See: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=826" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for an on-line version]. I hope someone can chip in and inform us.

:anjali:
Mike
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
mikenz66 wrote:2. Where are the mind-moments spelled out (in the Abhidhamma itself, or in the Commentaries)?
In asking a similar question once I was advised that it's the commentaries only, as distinct from the Abhidhamma Pitaka.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

retrofuturist wrote:In asking a similar question once I was advised that it's the commentaries only, as distinct from the Abhidhamma Pitaka.
Yes, the theory of momentariness is absent from the Abhidhammapiṭaka. David Kalupahana, Buddhist Philosophy: A Historical Analysis:
  • It is significant that the Abhidhamma pitaka of the Theravadins makes no mention of either the theory of atoms or the theory of moments. They are certainly not found in either the Pali Nikayas or the Chinese Agamas.
Buddhaghosa seems to have acknowledged this as well. Kalupahana continues:
  • In his commentary on the Dhammasangani, Buddhaghosa makes a very important remark regarding the theory of moments. He says: "Herein, the continued present (santatipaccuppanna) finds mention in the commentaries (atthakatha); the enduring or long present (addhapaccuppanna) in the discourses (sutta). Some say that the thought existing in the momentary present (khanapaccuppanna) becomes the object of telepathic insight" (DhsA, p. 421). According to this statement, it was 'some people' (keci) who spoke about the momentary present; it was found neither in the discourses nor in the commentaries preserved at the Mahavihara which Buddhaghosa was using for his own commentaries in Pali.
Of course, this hasn't stopped people from reading a theory of momentariness into the Abhidhammapiṭaka.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Mike
What a debate!
Thanks for the link. You said
“This whole thread is starting to puzzle me. It seems clear that the translation of many technical points in the Suttas is only possible with a careful reading of commentaries and a lifetime of study.”

I wish to add that by practicing and experience oneself will find the answer. By the way I do not venerate books. For me it is not possible to understand anything in this world by only reading a book. To me it is the difference between a medical student and the practicing doctor.

I have read Narada’s Manual of Abhidhamma many times in conjunction with N.G.K Mendis “The Abhidhamma in Practice”. Though it is not easy to read I think every Buddhist should read them.

In regard to seventeen thought moment, I do not think that Buddha ever will teach something like that, as it is make the Dhamma even harder to understand. However I am not prepared to throw it out the window yet. When I was eleven years old I remember my brain was ticking very fast, when thought occurred to me. I never bother to count them because I thought it was normal!

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el322.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/abhidhamma.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”