Today is Uposatha Day.
I truly love Visuddhimagga, it might be way above my head but I'll die trying to understand( I read Thai Visuddhimagga written in Thai).
Abhidhamma View: Aggregate
[Presented by Dr.Tep Sastri @ sariputtadhamma/JTN]
Vism. p. 460- 462 (excerpt):
100. III. i. A. (a) 2. But that with root-cause is that associated with non-greed, etc., as the cause of the result. It is of eight kinds because it is classed according to joy, etc., like the profitable of the sense sphere.
101. III. i. A. (b) Unprofitable resultant, though, is without root-cause only. It is of seven kinds as eye-consciousness, ear-, nose-, tongue-, and body-consciousness, mind-element with the function of receiving, and mind-consciousness-element with the function of investigating, etc., and having five positions.
102. Profitable resultant, though, has desirable or desirable-neutral objects only, while these have undesirable or undesirable-neutral objects only. The former are of three kinds, being classed according to equanimity, bodily pleasure, and mental joy, while these are of two kinds, being classed according to bodily pain and equanimity. So with these seven kinds of unprofitable resultant and the previous sixteen kinds of profitable resultant, sense-sphere resultant consciousness is of twentythree kinds.
103. III. i. B. That of the fine-material sphere, however, is of five kinds like the profitable.
104. III. i. C. And as that of the fine-material sphere [was like the profitable of that sphere] so that of the immaterial sphere is of four kinds like the profitable too.
105. III. i. D. The supramundane resultant is of four kinds because it is [respectively] the fruitions of the consciousnesses associated with the four paths. It occurs in two ways, that is to say, as [fruition in] the cognitive series of the path and as fruition attainment (see Ch. XXII). So resultant consciousness in all the four planes is of thirty-six kinds.
106. III. ii. The functional, however, is of three kinds according to plane: (A) of the sense sphere, (B) of the fine-material sphere, (C) of the immaterial sphere. Herein, III. ii. A., that of the sense sphere, is of two kinds, namely, (1) without rootcause, and (2) with root-cause.
III. ii. A. 1. Herein, that without root-cause is that devoid of non-greed, etc., as the cause of result. That is of two kinds, being classed as mind-element, and mind-consciousness-element.
107. Herein, the mind-element has the characteristics of being the forerunner of eye-consciousness, etc., and of cognizing visible data and so on. Its function is to advert. It is manifested as confrontation of visible data, and so on. Its proximate cause is the interruption of [the continued occurrence of consciousness as] lifecontinuum. It is associated with equanimity only.
108. But the mind-consciousness-element is of two kinds, namely, shared by all and not shared by all. Herein, that shared by all is the functional [mindconsciousness-element] accompanied by equanimity without root-cause. It has the characteristic of cognizing the six kinds of objects. Its function is to determine at the five doors and to advert at the mind door. It is manifested as the states [of determining and adverting] corresponding to those [last-mentioned two functions]. Its proximate cause is the departure either of the resultant mind-consciousness-element without root-cause [in the first case], or of one among the kinds of life-continuum [in the second]. ... So the sense-sphere functional without root-cause is of three kinds.
109. III. ii. A. 2. That, however, with root cause is of eight kinds, like the profitable, arises in trainers and ordinary men only, this arises in Arahants only. This is the difference here. So firstly, that of the sense sphere is of eleven kinds.
III. ii. B., III. ii. C. That, however, of the fine-material sphere, and that of the immaterial sphere are [respectively] of five kinds and of four kinds like the profitable. But they should be understood to differ from the profitable in that they arise only in Arahants. So functional consciousness in the three planes is of twenty kinds in all.
110. So the 21 kinds of profitable, the 12 kinds of unprofitable, the 36 kinds of resultant, and the 20 kinds of functional, amount in all to 89 kinds of consciousness. And these occur in the fourteen modes of (a) rebirth-linking, (b) life-continuum, (c) adverting, (d) seeing, (e) hearing, (f) smelling, (g) tasting, (h) touching, (i) receiving, (j) investigating, (k) determining, (l) impulsion, (m)
registration, and (n) death.
Love Buddha's dhamma,