Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
yawares

Abhidhamma View : The Arahant

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

:candle: Abhidhamma View : The Arahant :candle:
[Presented by Dr.Tep Sastri @sariputtadhamma/JTN]

CMA IX, p. 362-363:

Having developed the Path of Arahantship, with the total abandonment of defilements one becomes an
Arahant, a destroyer of the taints, a supreme recipient of offerings in the world.

The five fetters abandoned by the first three paths are called the lower fetters (orambhaagiya-
sa.myojana) because they bind beings to the lower world, the sensuous plane of existence. One who has
eradicated them, the non-returner, no longer returns to the sensuous plane, but he is still bound to
the round of existence by the five higher fetters (uddhambhaagiya-sa.myojana). With the attainment of
the path of Arahantship, these five higher fetters are also eradicated: desire for fine-material
existence, desire for immaterial existence, conceit, restlesness, and ignorance. The fourth path also
destroys the remaining two taints --the taint of attachment to existence and the taint of ignorance
--for which reason the Arahant is called a "destroyer of the taints" (khii.naasava). The path of
Arahantship eradicates, too, the remaining unwholesome cetasikas left unabandoned by the earlier paths:
delusion, shamelessness, fearlessness of wrongdoing, restlessness, conceit, sloth and torpor.

It is amazing to me to know that the lower ariyans (the stream-enterer, the once-returner, the non-
returner) still have "shamelessness" and "fearlessness" of wrongdoing!

************* :anjali:
:heart: Love Buddha's dhamma,
yawares/sirikanya
:heart:
DAWN

Re: Abhidhamma View : The Arahant

Post by DAWN »

yawares wrote: ..........
It is amazing to me to know that the lower ariyans (the stream-enterer, the once-returner, the non-

yawares/sirikanya
And also if an Arahant have a fear of wrong doing, still it do it sometimes but feel shame after ?
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
yawares

Post by yawares »

DAWN wrote:
yawares wrote: ..........

yawares/sirikanya
And also if an Arahant have a fear of wrong doing, still it do it sometimes but feel shame after ?

Dear DAWN,
Let me break your question in two parts.
1) Does an Arahant, who has completely abandoned shamelessness and fearlessness of wrongdoing, have fear and shame of wrongdoing?

2) Does an Arahant do something wrong sometimes, and he/she feels ashame later?

Answer:
1) No, the fear & shame of wrong doings are found in people who are not perfect in kusala dhammas. Since Arahants are perfect in kusala dhammas, they neither are fearful nor fearless in wrongdoings (akusala kammas). Same for shameful and shameless.

2) No, an Arahant who is perfect in kusala dhammas no longer has kilesas (defilements), so to feel ashame later (after a wrongdoing) is not applicable to Arahants.

Truly appreciate your question,
yawares
:smile:
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

I see now.
If i understand rightly, this statement about shame and fear is made on the fact that arahant dont do any wrongdoing, and if he dont do it, it because he have shame and fear. :thinking:

Thanks you Yawares :namaste:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
yawares

Post by yawares »

DAWN wrote:I see now.
If i understand rightly, this statement about shame and fear is made on the fact that arahant dont do any wrongdoing, and if he dont do it, it because he have shame and fear. :thinking:

Dear DAWN,
Arahants are beyond SHAME and FEAR.

I love your question/thinking
yawares
:anjali:
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

yawares wrote:
DAWN wrote:I see now.

Dear DAWN,
Arahants are beyond SHAME and FEAR.

I love your question/thinking
yawares
:anjali:
Oh yes!
It's more exectly.
:namaste:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...