Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
yawares

Abhidhamma Study:Sobha Cittas and Cetasikas

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

This Uposatha Day I proudly present:

:candle: Abhidhamma Study:Sobha Cittas and Cetasikas :candle:
[Presented by Dr.Tep Sastri @SariputtaDhamma/JTN/Mult]

I think one reason the Buddha taught us to contemplate on the impermanence characteristic of feelings is for us to be mindful about the drawbacks of feelings so that the mind will not fall for sensuality and become deluded.
Allow me to make two brief notes:

Note 1.

A fundamental idea that we tend to forget is: when the mind does not rise above worldly emotions, it will fall under, i.e. become too weak to abandon, lobha or dosa or moha.

Only beautiful consciousnesses (sobha cittas) are without unwholesome mental factors -- as explained by CMA Guide to Compendium of Consciousness I, 12. Page 45.

This type of consciousness is called beautiful, because it is accompanied by beautiful mental factors(cetasikas) such as:

i) The universal beautiful factors: saddha, hiri, ottappa, alobha, adosa, amoha, neutrality of mind, tranquillity of the mental body and of mind, lightness, malleability, and so on.

ii) The abstinences: right speech, right action, right livelihood.

iii) The illimitables: compassion(karunaa) and appreciative joy(muditaa).

iv) Non-delusion(amoha): this is synonymous with wisdom(pa~n~naa) and knowledge (~naa.na).
Unfortunately, some of us still think these lokuttara dhammas are also found in worldlings.

Note 2.

When one sees a defilement in another person, an external 'citta in citta' is seen. Often, effacement (sallekha, removal) can be done in that moment of insight.

12. "But herein, Cunda, effacement should be practiced by you:

(1) Others will be harmful; we shall not be harmful here — thus effacement can be done.
... ...
(44) The thought should be produced: 'Others will misapprehend according to their individual views, hold on to them tenaciously and not easily discard them; we shall not misapprehend according to individual views nor hold on to them tenaciously, but shall discard them with ease.'
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nypo.html

And the effacement of the 44 defilements is one of the most important benefits of Dhamma practice, in my humble and sincere opinion.
Love Buddha's dhamma,
yawares/sirikanya :heart: