the great vegetarian debate

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Re: I'm a new vegetarian! Some questions...

Postby notself » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:43 pm

Clueless Git wrote:
Tex wrote:Yep, after contemplating it for quite some time, I finally decided I'm not going to eat meat anymore.

Congrats Tex :)

The 'trick' is simply to make sure your diet includes a good rotation from the different veggie food groups and from within each food group be sure to rotate through all the different colours.

No animal can synthesise stuff like iron and B12. Any iron, b12 etc that the cold dead flesh of animals contains comes soley from the vegetable matter which they eat.

You may get some 'detox' symptons as your body adjusts to a far cleaner diet than it has been used to btw.

Iron can be found in many vegetables. B12 only comes from animal products. Butter, milk and eggs all contain B12
Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he is indeed the noblest victor who conquers himself. ---Dhp 103
notself

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:36 am

Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
BubbaBuddhist

Postby Tex » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:50 am

Bubbabuddhist wrote:Image

:woohoo:
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi
Tex

Postby appicchato » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:14 am

notself wrote:B12 only comes from animal products. Butter, milk and eggs all contain B12

My bottle of 'One A Day' says I get 300% of our MDR of vitamin B12 in every pill...which animal does that come from?...
appicchato

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:18 am

notself wrote:B12 only comes from animal products. Butter, milk and eggs all contain B12

The adult human only needs 2.4 micrograms of B12 per day and it is stored in the body. (1,000 micrograms equals one gram) Thus, a vegan could take supplements or simply eat one egg or cheese meal per month or so and get all the B12 they need.

There are some vegan sources (in limited amounts) that have B12 too, including tempeh, miso, sea vegetables, and nutritional yeast.

For lacto-ovo (dairy and eggs) vegetarians it is not an issue and they consume more than enough of B12 and other nutrients, with a balanced, healthy diet (limited amounts of junk food).
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Monkey Mind » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:22 am

My own experience: any veggie product that is supposed to simulate meat, like tofurkey, is just YUCKY. I prefer veggie food that acts like veggie food. I love garden burgers, but they never really claimed to be a meat substitute.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Monkey Mind

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:37 am

Greetings,

I enjoy mock meat products.

A personal favourite are the ones that come in tins, in some variety of light sauce.

Cook some noodles, set them aside, heat the contents of the tin in a pan, add some chilies etc., pop noodles back into pan, stir and serve.

:woohoo:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:55 am

Monkey Mind wrote:

My own experience: any veggie product that is supposed to simulate meat, like tofurkey, is just YUCKY. I prefer veggie food that acts like veggie food. I love garden burgers, but they never really claimed to be a meat substitute.

tofurkey is not very good, but the Morning Star generally stuff is.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Prasadachitta » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:59 am

I love this stuff

"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Prasadachitta

Postby Ben » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:37 pm

I still haven't recovered since you guys revealed that Buffalos don't have wings.
I'm gutted!

And what sort of depraved mind invents, or for that matter eats, tofurkey?
I actually made a de-diddly-liscious meal the other night. Its a chinese dish of battered cubes of tofu with mushrooms in a silky light sauce. It was excellent. Fit for a hungry Venerable Huifeng!
kind regards

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby alan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:09 pm

Take a look at Spirulina as a supplement. It's cheap and very healthful. Chlorella is also excellent. I take 3 grams a day.
alan

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:39 pm

Alas, I had posted a plethora of my gourmet vegetarian recipes, many of which were four-alarm spicy, on esangha's vegetarian recipe forum. Including my vegetarian egg mcmuffin, blackened thai tofu, saitan medallions in mixed mushroom gravy, a full-course meal including dessert from a single spaghetti squash (LOL) and other masterpieces. Ah alas, alas.

J
BubbaBuddhist

Postby Sanghamitta » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:25 pm

gabrielbranbury wrote:I love this stuff

I think quorn is far and away the best mock meat product, I gather though that there is a problem obtaining it in the US ? True ?

Tofu and other soy products ARE yucky. Soy beans themselves are nice though. And lentils and other beans and nuts are good sources of protein.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:51 pm

Sanghamitta wrote:

I think quorn is far and away the best mock meat product, I gather though that there is a problem obtaining it in the US ? True ?

Tofu and other soy products ARE yucky. Soy beans themselves are nice though. And lentils and other beans and nuts are good sources of protein.

I have no problem getting Quorn in San Francisco. A lot of the U.S. is pretty patchy when it comes to meat alternatives.

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Prasadachitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:03 pm

Quorn is great. One of my daughters would not believe it wasnt real chicken. Its so much like meat that some hyperveggies would probably feel guilty.. :smile:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:28 pm

Quorn is easily obtainable everywhere I've lived in the US, from Deep South to Midwest. It's fungus by the way, for the soy-phobic.

It takes marinades very well. Quite absorbent. Cut your time down in fact from meat in your recipes or the quorn becomes over-saturated. It also works well batter-dipped, crumb rolled, tempuraed, shake-n-baked, blackened.

John R
The Galloping Gourmet of vegetarians

BubbaBuddhist

Postby Potato » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:41 am

Quorn was developed from a soil fungus found in a British village in the 1960s. The claim on the label that it is "mushroom in origin" is misleading, because the soil fungus and mushrooms are both fungi in the same way that clams and humans are both animals -- no one would claim that clams and humans are similar.

I like of Boca Burgers and Morningstar Farm's Chipotle Black Bean Burgers, but meat substitutes are not a staple in my diet.

Vitamin B12 does not come from animals, it comes from bacteria. :)
Potato

Postby Ben » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:30 am

Did someone say fungus?

My fungus of choice is truffle!

http://www.trufflesaustralis.com.au/index.html
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby jcsuperstar » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:46 am

Sanghamitta wrote:

um tofu is amazing thank you

how could anything this guy is the god of not be amazing...

สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby dspiewak » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:25 pm

I heard a Dhamma talk once in which the monk warned about vegetarianism - that it could lead to self-righteous behavior (e.g. looking down on non-vegetarians). I find it interesting that so many Theravada practitioners, who are not urged to give up meat, have done so anyway. I wonder if it's just a coincidence?

The hardest part for me was formulating a way to explain it to people. The truth is that I just don't have the heart for it anymore. When I see meat I have a very clear vision that there is flesh just like that inside me and the animals and people I love, and that vision doesn't seem to be going away with age. I tried going without meat, and it turns out I could do it, so I kept it up. This explanation does not translate well to casual conversation, though.

"I saw when we went to Big Uncle Porkchop's Meat Shack And More, you got the potato salad. Whatsa matter, you vegetarian?"
"Actually, yes."
"Mind if I ask what motivated you do give up meat?"
"Uh......."
dspiewak

PreviousNext

Return to Open Dhamma