Why would people do that ?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Re: Why would people do that ?

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:52 am

alan wrote:Which is why I asked a question in a thread about the question.
And knowing that it is highly unlikely that we will ever know the answer?
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
User avatar
tiltbillings
 
Posts: 19404
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: Why would people do that ?

Postby alan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:04 am

Maybe. But the asking in itself is helpful.
alan
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:14 am
Location: Miramar beach, Fl.

Re: Why would people do that ?

Postby PeterB » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:55 am

TMingyur wrote:Why would one think about and try to analyse the motivations of others?

Kind regards



There could be a number of reasons. Why are YOU attempting to analyse the motivations of another ?
PeterB
 
Posts: 3903
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:35 pm

Re: Why would people do that ?

Postby chownah » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:27 am

alan wrote: Or perhaps you could just state the obvious, which is that Element has no sense of shame.


alan,
It seems to me that to be able to conclude that someone has no sense of shame one must know the person fairly well. How long have you known element? Have you ever seen him relate to his family? Have you ever seen him cry or heard him cry out in pain? Is he gay...or straight? What kind of music does he like and what is his favorite topping to have on a pizza?
chownah
chownah
 
Posts: 2670
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Why would people do that ?

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:33 am

chownah wrote:
alan wrote: Or perhaps you could just state the obvious, which is that Element has no sense of shame.


alan,
It seems to me that to be able to conclude that someone has no sense of shame one must know the person fairly well. How long have you known element? Have you ever seen him relate to his family? Have you ever seen him cry or heard him cry out in pain? Is he gay...or straight? What kind of music does he like and what is his favorite topping to have on a pizza?
chownah


All of which is irrelevant to his behaviour here. And those of us who have been involved in the cyber-sangha for a number of years know of his serial trollish behaviour.
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus


Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16073
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: Land of the sleeping gods

Re: Why would people do that ?

Postby PeterB » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:34 am

All examples of faulty logic and non sequitur. It is unnecessary to know any of things.
What IS in this context the sole necessary thing to know is that he posted to this forum on 100 seperate occasions under 100 different names in an attempt to suggest that he was other than the person he claimed. And that further he sent PM's to a number of people of a hostile and fraudulent nature.
None of which is affected either way by his social mores, his sexuality, his taste in beverages, or the colour of his hair.
And if you cant see that "Chownah" then you have a problem.
PeterB
 
Posts: 3903
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:35 pm

Re: Why would people do that ?

Postby christopher::: » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:41 am

I have nothing to add to this topic but think Chris offered a worthwhile perspective...

cooran wrote:Hey guys,

Can we all take a deep breath? Aloka and chownah are valued members, and even if they don't really know all that the Mods have been through, that's O.K.
Mods always get criticised - that's part of Mod-Suffering. Sometimes members are offended - that'sO.K. - that's part of Member-Suffering. Let go of ego - and don't take things personally - in the end there is no you, no me, .... we are each just a flux of becoming, which hopefully we can work on and bring to Stilling.

with mahametta to all,
Chris


The more we hold on to (or push away) anything the more we suffer.

:toilet:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
User avatar
christopher:::
 
Posts: 1319
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:56 am

Re: Why would people do that ?

Postby chownah » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:46 am

chownah wrote:
alan wrote: Or perhaps you could just state the obvious, which is that Element has no sense of shame.


alan,
It seems to me that to be able to conclude that someone has no sense of shame one must know the person fairly well. How long have you known element? Have you ever seen him relate to his family? Have you ever seen him cry or heard him cry out in pain? Is he gay...or straight? What kind of music does he like and what is his favorite topping to have on a pizza?
chownah

Ben,
You are correct that this is not relevant toward what you are trying to establish....but I am not addressing that....what I am address is whether alan actually knows element well enough to be able to apparopriately make the statement that it is obvious that element has no sense of shame. Do you think that alan has enough knowledge of element as a person to be able to make that determination....I think he does not....but ultimately only alan can answer whether alan thinks he knows enough about element the person to make the claim..not you...not me..and not PeterB.
chownah

PeterB,
You are applying my post to your scenerio which is not where I intended it to apply....clearly it would not be illogical to apply elements human traits toward the end you are discussing....but I am not addressing the issue you raise I am raising an issue with alan as to whether he thinks he knows element well enough as a person to make the statement that it is obvious that element has not sense of shame....that is all......
chownah
chownah
 
Posts: 2670
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Why would people do that ?

Postby PeterB » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:50 am

Sounds like you are disappearing up your own fundamental understanding chownah.
PeterB
 
Posts: 3903
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:35 pm

Re: Why would people do that ?

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:51 am

christopher::: wrote:I have nothing to add to this topic but think Chris offered a worthwhile perspective...

cooran wrote:Hey guys,

Can we all take a deep breath? Aloka and chownah are valued members, and even if they don't really know all that the Mods have been through, that's O.K.
Mods always get criticised - that's part of Mod-Suffering. Sometimes members are offended - that'sO.K. - that's part of Member-Suffering. Let go of ego - and don't take things personally - in the end there is no you, no me, .... we are each just a flux of becoming, which hopefully we can work on and bring to Stilling.

with mahametta to all,
Chris


The more we hold on to (or push away) anything the more we suffer.

:toilet:
I closed this thread once already based upon cooran's complaint, and chownah complained that I was pulling a fast one, trying to get the last word, criticizing element and the anti-Dhamma Wheel blog. So, now the thread is open again because of his complaints and has anything new been offered? Not really. For some reason chownah seem almost totally incapable of seeing the point of the management of this forum in relation to having to deal with ongoing bad behavior by one person, and as for the anti-Dhamma Wheel blog, that is best ignored. I am simply waiting.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
User avatar
tiltbillings
 
Posts: 19404
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: Why would people do that ?

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:52 am

Any reason not to close this thread again?
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
User avatar
tiltbillings
 
Posts: 19404
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: Why would people do that ?

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:10 am

chownah wrote:Ben,
You are correct that this is not relevant toward what you are trying to establish....but I am not addressing that....what I am address is whether alan actually knows element well enough to be able to apparopriately make the statement that it is obvious that element has no sense of shame. Do you think that alan has enough knowledge of element as a person to be able to make that determination....I think he does not....but ultimately only alan can answer whether alan thinks he knows enough about element the person to make the claim..not you...not me..and not PeterB.
chownah

PeterB,
You are applying my post to your scenerio which is not where I intended it to apply....clearly it would not be illogical to apply elements human traits toward the end you are discussing....but I am not addressing the issue you raise I am raising an issue with alan as to whether he thinks he knows element well enough as a person to make the statement that it is obvious that element has not sense of shame....that is all......
chownah


Chownah,

With respect, what we do know about anyone's intentions and 'inner world', especially on the internet, is their behaviour. Someone's behaviour, especially if observed over a long period of time, is a pretty good window into their mind. Behaviour speaks a shipload more than mere words. This observation may have led Alan to ask the question. Whether Element experiences shame in the real world or on the internet - for me its academic and I think it belongs in the realm of mental health professionals, which I am not. I'm pretty sure Alan isn't a mental health professional either though I could be wrong. But given the serial trollish behaviour of Element, I think Alan's question is reasonable. Its not unreasonable to try and understand why some people engage in anti-social behaviour. As for Element - as a result of his behaviour he is persona non grata and will remain so.
kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus


Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16073
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: Land of the sleeping gods

Re: Why would people do that ?

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:53 am

For those who might be interested, the person known as Element, who has repeatedly and deceptively violated the Terms Of Service of this forum, has been made global moderator of the forum Buddhism Without Boundaries.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
User avatar
tiltbillings
 
Posts: 19404
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Previous

Return to Open Dhamma

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Goofaholix, paddington, phil, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests