Why would people do that ?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Aloka

Re: Why would people do that ?

Post by Aloka »

tiltbillings wrote:
Aloka wrote: As for Element -yes I regard him as a friend - but I certainly don't monitor his movements on the internet, not do I have any control over what he does.
Only element/nick is responsible for his actions, but since you are his friend -- so you say --, why don't you ask why he is so persistent in making an unpleasant pest of himself. That would speak directly to the OP and maybe we can be understand this annoying behavior.
You should ask him yourself in a kind rather than hostile way and perhaps you might find out.

Please don't keep laying this whole thing at my feet Tilt, it really isn't fair. I live on the other side of the world to Element.

If I had the answers I'd tell you.

:anjali:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Aloka wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
Aloka wrote: As for Element -yes I regard him as a friend - but I certainly don't monitor his movements on the internet, not do I have any control over what he does.
Only element/nick is responsible for his actions, but since you are his friend -- so you say --, why don't you ask why he is so persistent in making an unpleasant pest of himself. That would speak directly to the OP and maybe we can be understand this annoying behavior.
You should ask him yourself in a kind rather than hostile way and perhaps you might find out.

Please don't keep laying this whole thing at my feet Tilt, it really isn't fair. I live on the other side of the world to Element.

If I had the answers I'd tell you.
I am not laying anything at your feet. I responding to the fact that you are essentisally defending your self described friend for his repeated disruptive behavior on this forum.

As you suggest, I'll ask him kindly why he is doing this:

Element/Nick, is there something we did in our finally banning you after due process for your repeated violations of the TOS that upset you such that you feel it is necessary for you to attack this forum with your repeated incursions and decptions?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

tiltbillings wrote:
I am not laying anything at your feet. I responding to the fact that you are essentisally defending your self described friend for his repeated disruptive behavior on this forum.
Where have I done that ? I have tried to point out that there might be kinder ways of doing things, that's all.

I also would prefer not to be involved with this any longer, thanks.
Last edited by Aloka on Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Aloka wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
I am not laying anything at your feet. I responding to the fact that you are essentially defending your self described friend for his repeated disruptive behavior on this forum.
Where have I done that ? I have tried to point out that there are kinder ways of doing things, that's all.
Let me ask you directly.

Do you approve of his behavior here?

We banned him after his repeated violations of the TOS, after giving him repeated warnings, after suspending his account several times. The behavior did not change, so we banned him. After all this we should let him back in? If so why?

He has shown no kindness towards the forum management and he has shown no kindness towards the members here with his deceptions and hostile PMs. Why should we let him back? Also, we should not identify the behavior as we see it?

Why don't you condemn this behavior of his?

Basically, we would simply like his attacks on this forum to stop. So, we should say: "Please, Nick, do not attack us any more"?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Peter:

Lack of empathy (Hard to feel empathy on the Internet; you can't SEE the effects of your words on what are essentially just more words on your computer screen).

Lack of accountability (People have said things to me on the Internet which would have earned them a punch to the head if they had said it to my face :lol: and I suspect they knew it).

Lack of identity. Sociopaths can go where others fear to tread. Or something like that. In other words if you let everybody in on a forum, you're going to get everybody, including sociopaths and troublemakers. Ban, them, they'll come back under another alias.

Lack of impulse control. (Think twice before typing once was something someone told me once upon a time).

There are other reasons of course, but basically people are ornery and if you put a bunch together they'll behave badly. At least this is what history teaches us.

M4
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Metta-4 wrote: There are other reasons of course, but basically people are ornery and if you put a bunch together they'll behave badly. At least this is what history teaches us.
Some will behave badly, but fortunately not all.

chownah

Post by chownah »

Element,
Nick,
whoever,
I'd like to hear your side of this. Next time you have an active account here please send me a short private message informing me of your view of what's going on. I won't tell the moderators about our conversation.....
chownah
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Chownah,
chownah wrote:Element,
Nick,
whoever,
I'd like to hear your side of this. Next time you have an active account here please send me a short private message informing me of your view of what's going on. I won't tell the moderators about our conversation.....
chownah
Or better still, how about go where he has a valid active account either at Buddhism Without Boundaries or at New Buddhist (where he is dhamma dhatu) and ask him there.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Nick,
whoever,
chownah
Why invite him to violate the rules further? Retro has given you good advice where you can contact him and to compare notes and complain about Dhamma Wheel to your hearts delight. Also, you can post your complaints at the anti-Dhamma Wheel blog.

Ben

Post by Ben »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Chownah,
Nick,
whoever,
chownah
Or better still, how about go where he has a valid active account either at Buddhism Without Boundaries or at New Buddhist (where he is dhamma dhatu) and ask him there.

Metta,
Retro. :)
And do send him our kind regards!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
chownah

Post by chownah »

tiltbillings wrote:
Nick,
whoever,
chownah
Why invite him to violate the rules further? Retro has given you good advice where you can contact him and to compare notes and complain about Dhamma Wheel to your hearts delight. Also, you can post your complaints at the anti-Dhamma Wheel blog.
I have not invite him to violate the rules. I have no notes. If I have complaints about dhammawheel or its moderators I do it right here in PM's....you should already be very aware of that since you have seen many if not all of my complaints.....

Perhaps I'll check out the anti-Dhamma Wheel blog at your suggestion....can you provide a link?
Thanks for the suggestion,
chownah
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

chownah wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
Nick,
whoever,
chownah
I have not invite him to violate the rules. I have no notes. If I have complaints about dhammawheel or its moderators I do it right here in PM's....you should already be very aware of that since you have seen many if not all of my complaints.....
As Retro said, if you want to talk with element, please do so elsewhere. Here, with good reason, he is persona non grata.
Perhaps I'll check out the anti-Dhamma Wheel blog at your suggestion....can you provide a link?
No. That is what Google is for.

cooran

Post by cooran »

Hey guys,

Can we all take a deep breath? Aloka and chownah are valued members, and even if they don't really know all that the Mods have been through, that's O.K.
Mods always get criticised - that's part of Mod-Suffering. Sometimes members are offended - that'sO.K. - that's part of Member-Suffering. Let go of ego - and don't take things personally - in the end there is no you, no me, .... we are each just a flux of becoming, which hopefully we can work on and bring to Stilling.

with mahametta to all,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

chownah

Post by chownah »

I went and looked at the site.....did not see any bashing...not any...none...zip....makes me wonder why anyone who would describe it that way....but maybe my judgement is premature. If someone could go there and find some bashing and show it to me I would be very glad to see it.

Over there some text is produced with the claim that it is a deleted post....it has to do with a discussion of christianity which allegedlly occcurred here.....I read the alleged post and could see no real reason for it being deleted. I did see that retrofuturist posted over there (in another place...not in the thread I'm discussing)...maybe he could inform me as to the authenticity of the alleged post that was deleted and why it was deleted if it was....and also if he has seen any bashing over there.

The alleged post had some alleged links to other alleged discussion allegedly here on Dhammawheel. When I clicked on these links it seemed as if it came to Dhammawheel (here) and that the discussion had been deleted......both of them......is Dhammawheel trying to hide something? I know that this is all just circumstantial and am not making accusations...I'm just would like to know...I'm very curious because what has been described in such harsh and pejoritive terms has it seems turned out to be so benign....even friendly and in the spirit of helpfulness....although my first impressions can often be wrong.

I'm not condoning anything that is against the TOS and if I have posted anything here that is against the TOS or any other rule or law then it is unintentional and I beg your forgiveness.
chownah