Fixed reference point

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
cuno

Fixed reference point

Post by cuno »

Hi folks;
Nowadays without a fixed reference point I am getting lost, overcome by the waves of change flowing round and round within my mind. In the busyness of my life, I need to have a reference point to anchor my attention to. This is like an aid to help maintain presence of my mind. And I am very upset about Why I can't stay in a non-doing state. :cry:
I am very curious if Echart,Osho,Maharaj or any other enlightened people ever used a fixed reference point (breath,touch point etc)when they are in a constant state of struggle in their daily lives after they are enlightened.

Cuno
Individual

Re: Fixed reference point

Post by Individual »

This question seems incoherent. What Eckhart, Osho, and Maharaj taught has nothing to do with Theravada Buddhism.

Now, a question: With what reference point do you obsess over having a fixed reference point?
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

cuno wrote:Hi folks;
Nowadays without a fixed reference point I am getting lost, overcome by the waves of change flowing round and round within my mind. In the busyness of my life, I need to have a reference point to anchor my attention to. This is like an aid to help maintain presence of my mind. And I am very upset about Why I can't stay in a non-doing state. :cry:
I am very curious if Echart,Osho,Maharaj or any other enlightened people ever used a fixed reference point (breath,touch point etc)when they are in a constant state of struggle in their daily lives after they are enlightened.

Cuno
It sounds like vatta. Use a daily abhyanga massage oil that corresponds with your dosha. This will ground you in a matter of days, perhaps a week.

Kevin
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Cuno
There is always a mala if you want something tactile. I have heard coming back to the breath recommended when one gets carried away by thought and emotion. I have used the hara, touching my finger and thumb together, and breath. These days i use the sense of background awareness.

I dont know which specific teachers might have recommended what, but you might also try just being mindful of whats coming up and just watching it. If you can see it you arent embedded in it, so thats good anyway :)
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Virgo wrote:

Cuno
It sounds like vatta. Use a daily abhyanga massage oil that corresponds with your dosha. This will ground you in a matter of days, perhaps a week.

Kevin
The oils are thick, rich, and heavy. They cover your whole body and soak into the dhatus, healing them and transferring herbs into the system. Because your whole body is covered with this thick, rich oil, a certain percentage of your mind is in your body even when you are thinking of something else, attracted there by the physical sensation of the oil that covers all of your skin. This grounds you and brings you down into your body for a while. Even after washing it off, a layer stays and soaks into your skin, grounding you and healing your body.

Kevin
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

I think what might be helpful here is developing body-awareness/energy that is not so head-centered, that is in the core of body, more stable and not so sensitive to the whirlwind. You might find the instructions here helpful in that regard, especially the parts about spreading awareness throughout the body found in the section "Method 2":

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books ... n_Mind.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230