Danger of Vipassana

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
rowyourboat

Re: Danger of Vipassana

Post by rowyourboat »

Well said Raga mala!
:clap:

with metta
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
uragamuni

Post by uragamuni »

Raga Mala wrote:Hillstrom believes that there is a self-soul and she believes there is a continuity/permanence to phenomena.
That's exactly the problem: she is always referencing a self. For example:
Hillstrom wrote:As meditation progresses still further, both the mental events and the observing mind begin to seem alien and impersonal, as if they do not really belong to the observer.
There she is talking about self in the ultimate sense (the self of the observer)... Keep that in mind and reread the Hillstrom's text. The same misconception is repeated again and again.
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

There is no way this woman can understand vipassana. A fish might have been trying to describe land.

with metta
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Individual

Post by Individual »

rahula80 wrote:Hi,

If non-Buddhists were to drop by, they would be put off by the discussion here.
Should've thought of that before starting the thread :|
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Non-buddhists need not be offended - they are in a Buddhist site- nothing wrong with expressing our views.

with metta
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rahula80

Post by rahula80 »

Hi,

Individual & rowyourboat,

I don't think there is anything wrong in starting the thread. Non-Buddhist may be here to learn about Buddhism. They would be interested to see Buddhist responses to the query, answering the question, rather than ad hominem response - so much anger, distrust - it this what Buddhism teaches?

I don't see anything wrong if we want to criticise Hilstrom, provided we can point what she was wrong about her description of Vipassana.

Regards,
Rahula
rahula80

Post by rahula80 »

Hi,

Gabe, Thanks a lot for your response. I greatly appreciate it.

".....finally comes when meditators break through Nirvana, a state in which all awareness of physical and mental phenomena ceases, at least for a short time."

Isn't this nirodha samapatti?

Regards,
Rahula
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

rahula80 wrote:Hi,

Individual & rowyourboat,

I don't think there is anything wrong in starting the thread. Non-Buddhist may be here to learn about Buddhism. They would be interested to see Buddhist responses to the query, answering the question, rather than ad hominem response - so much anger, distrust - it this what Buddhism teaches?

I don't see anything wrong if we want to criticise Hilstrom, provided we can point what she was wrong about her description of Vipassana.

Regards,
Rahula
Hi Rahula,

I think it is brilliant to start this thread. However I don't understand why stating anything negative (including 'she is deliberately trying to mislead') is seen as acting out of anger?? It might be the honest truth. The Buddha was never scared to say the truth, however unpalatable it was- no PC here then.

with metta
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha