What is beauty, actually?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
chownah

Re: What is beauty, actually?

Post by chownah »

On the Mickey Mouse Show they offered a very good approach to understanding exactly what beauty is......they would just say , "Beauty is as Beauty does....that's what Wise Men say...." I think that by contemplating this wisdom will arise and all will be reviled.....
chownah
alan

Post by alan »

Thank you, Kim!
I need good feedback like that. Too often I just hear praise, which is nice, but doesn't help much.
To your points:
Yeah, Coconut Island is too colorful. That is why I am so unsure of it. True to form, lots of people like it. But I did not manipulate the colors. That is summer light here.
Gulf light #3: That's the gulf! It really looks like that, under ideal circumstances. It is the romantic in me--I'm in love with that green.
One reason why the project is called "Gulf Light" is to show the extraordinary combination of shallow water and a shell/light sand bottom under high summer skies. Deeper water is more blue, as I'm sure you know.
Static: Yes, that is a legit complaint. My photos have always been kind of static. But I keep doing it anyway. Something about stasis appeals to me. Crazy light/crazy colors=require stasis? Either way, I like to show a point of reference that can be easily known by the viewer. Find it kind of comforting. My attempts to go off static usually fail.
Personally, I'm not static. I'm kind of cynical. But for some reasons I like the photos to be romantic, perhaps simple, images that express the world as I wish it could be.
chownah

Post by chownah »

What is ugliness, actually?
Could it be that beauty is to attachment as ugliness is to aversion?
Why is it that "beauty" is so often referred to but even the word "ugliness" seems foreign from lack of use....maybe it is because we are attracted to beauty and repelled from the ugliness?....so could it be that beauty just means we are attracted and ugliness just means that we are repelled?....could it be just that simple?
chownah
cooran

Post by cooran »

chownah wrote:What is ugliness, actually?
Could it be that beauty is to attachment as ugliness is to aversion?
Why is it that "beauty" is so often referred to but even the word "ugliness" seems foreign from lack of use....maybe it is because we are attracted to beauty and repelled from the ugliness?....so could it be that beauty just means we are attracted and ugliness just means that we are repelled?....could it be just that simple?
chownah
Hello chownah,

Yes - this post combined with your previous one about Beauty being in the eye of the Beholder sums it up. There is nothing that has something intrinsic called 'beauty' or 'ugliness'. It is just attachment and aversion exhibiting their nature.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Vepacitta

Post by Vepacitta »

Personally, I think beauty has a lot to do with our own perceptions.

Case in point - at university there was a girl in the class ahead of me who was stunningly beautiful. So striking it was hard to look at her.

However, she wasn't a terribly nice person. And a few years later, it just struck me - hey - Tracy no longer looks beautiful to me. I can still see her perfect features, etc. but ... she no longer looked 'beautiful' to me.

I mentioned this 'phenomenon' to someone who had gone to high school with this 'beautiful' girl, and she said, 'O yeh, that happened to me too. I remember when I first saw her in high school - blown away by how gorgeous she was - and then, as I got to know her - she ceased to be pretty. She's an 'ugly' person, really.

Talk about anicca ... not just of beauty but the anicca of our own perceptions ...

V.
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura