Ingram, et al - "Hard Core Dharma" & claims of attainment

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Modus.Ponens

Re: Ingram, et al - "Hard Core Dharma" & claims of attainmen

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Viscid wrote:
daverupa wrote:Knowing the minds of others is an iddhi; projecting, objectifying, and proliferating over smiles is something else.

This is getting quite

:offtopic:
It's not really that off-topic. Ingram's status as an arahant is in question. Are the suttas the final authority in determining an individual's level of attainment? If yes, then Daniel Ingram is not an arahant, as his behaviour contradicts some requirements as stated in the suttas. If no, then we have to make that determination using, in part, our own intuition. If we're going to either support or refute his claim of attainment based on our own intuition, we should investigate our reasons for doing so. I think we underestimate just how much influence a person's appearance has in our assessment of them-- if Ingram appeared more like a traditional Burmese forest monk, we'd be less critical of his claim. If Modus Ponens sees a quality in Ingram which he feels is evidence of Ingram's attainment, then we should closely scrutinize that perception to determine whether or not such a conclusion is warranted.
Viscid, I know you mean well, and this is not just for you. It's for most people who I have been exchanging posts with.

I wil (try to)l stop posting because you are not reading my posts carefully. Rather, you are reacting impulsively. I never said that Ingram's body/face/eye language indicated that he is an arahat. I'm saying that something spiritually profound is going on there, that can't be faked with such ease. It can be jhanas, or any level of arya. I just don't know.

The only recent "progress" in the discussion of dhamma itself, was with culaavuso. I think you are trying to make something as complex and organic as the human experience into rigid theoretical models, culaavuso.

I'm honestly tired of this discussion. I think I've learned all I had to learn within this discussion.

Daverupa, sorry for the detour into body language.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

tiltbillings wrote:
Modus.Ponens wrote: The "pedestal arahat" doesn't make much sense to me.
For what ever reason you seem to desperately want him to be an arahant. By his definition he is. I would suggest, if you have done so already, go spend time on his forum and see what you find. It may be more to your liking.
Don't alter my msg without acknowledgement that you have done so.
I frequent both forums. I like both of the forums, but I frequent DW more. And I'm not going to leave just because I don't think arahats are perfect. I don't understand why you are suggesting that I leave for this silly reason. I've been here since the first week after this forum started.
I am not asking you to leave; I am suggesting to you that if you find Ingram's reinterpretation of the Dhamma of interest to explore it further, and his forum would be the place to do it. Quite frankly the circular argumentation you have been carrying on here makes little sense to me.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

tiltbillings wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
Modus.Ponens wrote: The "pedestal arahat" doesn't make much sense to me.
For what ever reason you seem to desperately want him to be an arahant. By his definition he is. I would suggest, if you have done so already, go spend time on his forum and see what you find. It may be more to your liking.
Don't alter my msg without acknowledgement that you have done so.
I frequent both forums. I like both of the forums, but I frequent DW more. And I'm not going to leave just because I don't think arahats are perfect. I don't understand why you are suggesting that I leave for this silly reason. I've been here since the first week after this forum started.
I am not asking you to leave; I am suggesting to you that if you find Ingram's reinterpretation of the Dhamma of interest to explore it further, and his forum would be the place to do it. Quite frankly the circular argumentation you have been carrying on here makes little sense to me.
I underlined the part of your post that was relevant to me. Aknowledgement done.

Now, can you aknowledge and explain why my first post on page 37, where I responded to you, is gone and substituted by this messge I'm quoting right now? It seems more relevant than underlining a part of a post I want to adress. Or, if you want, we can have this discussion in private, with the moderation of at least one admin, if they wish so.

I too am tired of the circular argument because people continue to bring up points that I've refuted before, intead of refuting my refutations. Hence the tiresome circularity and repetition.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Modus.Ponens wrote:
Now, can you aknowledge and explain why my first post on page 37.
Yep/ I hit edit rather than quote and did not catch that I made that mistake, and my apologies to you for that. And now the original is back.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

tiltbillings wrote:
Modus.Ponens wrote:
Now, can you aknowledge and explain why my first post on page 37.
Yep/ I hit edit rather than quote and did not catch that I made that mistake, and my apologies to you for that. And now the original is back.
Thank you.
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

Modus.Ponens wrote:I think you are trying to make something as complex and organic as the human experience into rigid theoretical models, culaavuso.
Can you please expand on what you mean here?

Does this mean that reading the Nikāyas to understand the definition of the word arahant as used in that context is misguided? Or is trying to understand the two definitions of arahant in order to compare and contrast them misguided? Does this mean that the Nikāyas are simply wrong in their description of the moral conduct of an arahant, or perhaps that the definition they use is an impossible ideal?

What is the proper way to learn the definition(s) of the word arahant?
vesak2014

Post by vesak2014 »

Mkoll wrote:Saw this on the sister site.

~~~
I listened to most of it. It doesn't really get into anything regarding Theravada Buddhism until ~1:55.
How about around 1:30, it does. When I heard "Sayadaw" at 1:50, I had enough clue that Ingram is not what he claims to be.

It is very easy to recognize people who openly claim their arahant attainment as deluded. They teach wrong view. But it is not easy for people to recognize those who also do (claim and teach) the similar but subtly, especially if they are well known and well regarded people. The later contribute to dhamma corruption much more effectively than the first.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

vesak2014 wrote:
Mkoll wrote:Saw this on the sister site.

~~~
I listened to most of it. It doesn't really get into anything regarding Theravada Buddhism until ~1:55.
How about around 1:30, it does. When I heard "Sayadaw" at 1:50, I had enough clue that Ingram is not what he claims to be.

It is very easy to recognize people who openly claim their arahant attainment as deluded. They teach wrong view. But it is not easy for people to recognize those who also do (claim and teach) the similar but subtly, especially if they are well known and well regarded people. The later contribute to dhamma corruption much more effectively than the first.
What I found interesting in watching this video is how inarticulate he was in talking about his experiences.

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Modus.Ponens wrote:
Aloka wrote:
Viscid wrote:
A couple of other people who (I interpret) to have an enlightened expression are Adyashanti and Jack Kornfield....

...I do also see it with Ingram.. It's an expression I actually find somewhat unsettling-- perhaps such unfettered ease conflicts with my conflicted nature.
I'm puzzled as to why men smiling in their photos should be thought to have "enlightened expressions". By that reasoning, just about everyone I know who has smiled pleasantly in a photo, must be enlightened!

Obviously a picture cannot be conclusive of anything. Only a video can be scrutinised enough to reach reasonable conclusions.

But can you see the difference between these 4 smiles? Are they significant?

Asking me this is just irrelevant nonsense, sorry.

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Modus,

You've yet to respond to my post about Dr. Ingram admitting that he may be "full of s**t" at ~2:08 in the video.

Here, I've actually taken a few minutes to transcribe his words so you get the context. Watch the video itself for proof.
So my best skeptical inquiry into the nature of the thing doesn’t find any last, little things, you know. And if they’re there I’m totally deluded about them, you know, which is another option. You’ve gotta keep that one in mind, I might be just totally full of s**t, you know, excuse my language. You know, so, but, uhm, if it is, it’s a level of delusion I haven’t managed to crack, so I’ll leave that skillful door open if that makes sense from a reasonable skepticism point of view.

-From 2:08:06-2:08:32
Here are the premises:

1) Dr. Ingram claims he is an arahant.
2) Dr. Ingram claims he might be "totally deluded", might be "totally full of s**t", and might have "a level of delusion I haven't managed to crack".

Here's the question:

Do you think an arahant could have those uncertainties listed in the second premise?
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

culaavuso wrote:
What is the proper way to learn the definition(s) of the word arahant?
8 fold path?
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Mkoll wrote:Modus,

You've yet to respond to my post about Dr. Ingram admitting that he may be "full of s**t" at ~2:08 in the video.

Here, I've actually taken a few minutes to transcribe his words so you get the context. Watch the video itself for proof.
So my best skeptical inquiry into the nature of the thing doesn’t find any last, little things, you know. And if they’re there I’m totally deluded about them, you know, which is another option. You’ve gotta keep that one in mind, I might be just totally full of s**t, you know, excuse my language. You know, so, but, uhm, if it is, it’s a level of delusion I haven’t managed to crack, so I’ll leave that skillful door open if that makes sense from a reasonable skepticism point of view.

-From 2:08:06-2:08:32
Here are the premises:

1) Dr. Ingram claims he is an arahant.
2) Dr. Ingram claims he might be "totally deluded", might be "totally full of s**t", and might have "a level of delusion I haven't managed to crack".

Here's the question:

Do you think an arahant could have those uncertainties listed in the second premise?
I think continuing this discussion is pointless. You (all?) have made up your mind. I have too, in the ways I've described here. The hostility is palpable, so there's nothing to be gained by continuing to discuss this.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Modus,

OK, I understand.

But if you change your mind, I would like to hear your answer to my question.

:thanks:
IanAnd

Post by IanAnd »

tiltbillings wrote: What I found interesting in watching this video is how inarticulate he was in talking about his experiences.
Are you suggesting that an arahant (either ancient or modern) is immune from being inarticulate?

If so, what are your thoughts about the communication skills of the person who many accept as being a modern-day arahant the Ven. Acariya Maha Boowa?

(BTW, I understand your comment and agree with it. I, too, sometimes find Daniel's communication to be somewhat puzzling as to what point he is intending to make.)
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV
MisterRunon

Post by MisterRunon »

To those who think this topic ispointless: it is not.

I recently discovered Daniel. My curiosity was piqued when I'd heard that he was a self-proclaimed Arahant, which led me to google up "daniel ingram arahant." It landed me on this site. I'd say this issue has already been settled; it came out of Daniel's own mouth that he is not an Arahant in the Buddha-Dhamma context.

Discussion about this topic is important because Daniel claims to teach Buddhism, but he actually conflates it with some other practice that he has created himself. In that regard, I do think people of the Buddhist community have the right to bring his claims to the fore. If someone is using your reputation as a means for their credibility, then you have every right to respond.

U Pandita is still alive, right? Has anyone brought up Daniel's claims to him, and has he officially said anything? I'd think it would be an issue worth clarifying (for U Pandita), since Daniel has been building a following in the name of The Buddha.