Bhikkuni Prophecy?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
nathan

Re: Bhikkuni Prophecy?

Post by nathan »

What I reflect on in this regard is not primarily the conduct of well trained and accomplished Bhikkhus and Bhukkhunis but the nature of the world. If I consider the ways that patriarchal societies have behaved over the past two and a half thousand years then the Buddha's concern seems to accord well with what is known of the worlds history since his time. In his day, the surrounding culture honored and respected its wandering truth seekers and supported them with the necessities. Even so the surrounding culture was a patriarchal society which held men in higher regard. As the centuries since the Buddha's day passed the successive domination of ever more intolerant and patriarchal societies seems to have become an ever stronger characteristic of the world.

In light of that, it is not the inclusion of Bhikkhunis that is a threat to the true Dhamma, it is the intolerance of the surrounding societies in the world which would rather do away with the Sangha than see women elevated to positions of highest respect. To have to bow to and serve such women was and still often is a challenge to what is for many the alleged natural order of society. Although I cannot fathom the depth of his insights into the world I feel that it is primarily his concern for the preservation of the Dhamma and the Sangha within a hostile and intolerant world which was foremost in the Buddhas mind, not any of the natural qualities or characteristics that distinguish men from women, any of which would likely have been only remotely secondary concerns.

:anjali:
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
fabianfred

Post by fabianfred »

Since women in all ages and societies are in a position where they can be easily overwhelmed, being at the mercy of their sex, a Boddhisattva is never born as a woman. Their long struggle to perfect themselves is difficult enough without that disadvantage. Thence Buddhas are also only born as males because they are still boddhisattvas right up until the moment when they attain enlightenment.
Rui Sousa

Post by Rui Sousa »

nathan wrote: To have to bow to and serve such women was and still often is a challenge to what is for many the alleged natural order of society.
I believe that is a huge obstacle for some lay people to support the ordained women.
With Metta
manas

Post by manas »

fabianfred wrote:Since women in all ages and societies are in a position where they can be easily overwhelmed, being at the mercy of their sex, a Boddhisattva is never born as a woman. Their long struggle to perfect themselves is difficult enough without that disadvantage. Thence Buddhas are also only born as males because they are still boddhisattvas right up until the moment when they attain enlightenment.
Pardon my ignorance, but how are women 'at the mercy of their sex' any more than we men are? For example, most men I know are actually MORE obsessed with sex desire than most women I know, so it can't be that that is the particular obstacle. Are you talking perhaps about menstruation as being the obstacle? (And if so, please explain how that would hinder enlightenment). I'm confused, so please clarify with specifics, how are women more at the mercy of their sex than we men are?

Btw, I bet that it was a male who wrote that Bodhisattvas and Buddhas are always born male...just as I'm certain that the Blessed Kwan Yin would beg to differ!
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

manasikara wrote:
fabianfred wrote:Since women in all ages and societies are in a position where they can be easily overwhelmed, being at the mercy of their sex, a Boddhisattva is never born as a woman. Their long struggle to perfect themselves is difficult enough without that disadvantage. Thence Buddhas are also only born as males because they are still boddhisattvas right up until the moment when they attain enlightenment.
Pardon my ignorance, but how are women 'at the mercy of their sex' any more than we men are? For example, most men I know are actually MORE obsessed with sex desire than most women I know, so it can't be that that is the particular obstacle. Are you talking perhaps about menstruation as being the obstacle? (And if so, please explain how that would hinder enlightenment). I'm confused, so please clarify with specifics, how are women more at the mercy of their sex than we men are?

Btw, I bet that it was a male who wrote that Bodhisattvas and Buddhas are always born male...just as I'm certain that the Blessed Kwan Yin would beg to differ!
social norms and duties of women are the issue, for women here, the Bodhisatta concept in Theravada is not the same as that found in Mahayana..., within the pali canon it is only the last existence as a Prince and a wandering recluse, before he gained enlightenment, that the Buddha referred to himself as a Bodhisatta, it could be argued that a woman in their last life before enlightenment is a Bodhisatta, although, if it was a Sammasambuddha that is being referred to, then that maybe different due to the social position etc they are suppose to have before leaving home to homelessness.

there is a thread on the Bodhisatta concept in pali texts theravada and its difference to the Mahayana model somewhere on this forum.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
manas

Post by manas »

I think I see your point. If we look at the human realm across time, men have always tended to be socially dominant (not due to more worthiness, or intellect, but as, quite bluntly, the more physically strong and generally more aggressive of the two sexes (testosterone plays a role in the latter). So I can see how there is a disadvantage in terms of what one's options are with regards to renunciation / wandering around as an ascetic if one has a female body. There would be a greater risk of being pursued, assaulted, etc. Is that kind of what you were getting at, that women are limited by their social role and function? :thinking:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

manasikara wrote:I think I see your point. If we look at the human realm across time, men have always tended to be socially dominant (not due to more worthiness, or intellect, but as, quite bluntly, the more physically strong and generally more aggressive of the two sexes (testosterone plays a role in the latter). So I can see how there is a disadvantage in terms of what one's options are with regards to renunciation / wandering around as an ascetic if one has a female body. There would be a greater risk of being pursued, assaulted, etc. Is that kind of what you were getting at, that women are limited by their social role and function? :thinking:
to an extent yes, women are fully capable of realising truth, but are at times at a disadvantage, due to society or the fact they are physically weaker! look at the rules and origin stories for their vinaya. and hunter gatherer societies.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
manas

Post by manas »

Anyway, for the record, this male would happily bow down to, and respectfully serve, anyone who had attained one of the Ariyan Paths, ie the Noble Disciples of the Buddha, whether they be male, female or anywhere inbetween. Gender is not important; realization is. :anjali:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

manasikara wrote:Anyway, for the record, this male would happily bow down to, and respectfully serve, anyone who had attained one of the Ariyan Paths, ie the Noble Disciples of the Buddha, whether they be male, female or anywhere inbetween. Gender is not important; realization is. :anjali:
There are three genders mentioned in the texts and the third type is not allowed to ordain, period!

these rules are to protect the sanghas integrety in the eyes of the supporters, it is like any club, not everyone is allowed to be a full member, but that doesn't disqualify them from enlightenment, just the robes.

John Stuart Mill
manas

Post by manas »

...So hermaphrodites cannot join the Bhikkhu Sangha? (It's a trivial detail, but I'm wondering if that's what you meant. I can certainly see how it would create a problem for living communally with members of the same gender)... :thinking:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

manasikara wrote:...So hermaphrodites cannot join the Bhikkhu Sangha? (It's a trivial detail, but I'm wondering if that's what you meant. I can certainly see how it would create a problem for living communally with members of the same gender)... :thinking:
actually I don't think the third sex is so specific, but would include them.

John Stuart Mill
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

What I know is that in Australia they ordained bhikkunis at Bodinyana monastery and the monastery got excommunicated from the Thai Forest Sangha for that. They (the monks and abbot at Bodinyana) say it's perfectly legal according to the vinaya to ordain bhikkunis.
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Indrajala

Post by Indrajala »

The aforementioned prophecy where allowing bhikkunis into the community is said to shorten the lifespan of the dhamma in the world is only found in the canons of Sthaviravāda schools (Sarvāstivādins, Mahīśāsaka, Dharmaguptaka, Theravādins and Haimavātas). There is no mention of it in any extant literature from the Mahāsāṃghika branch of early Nikāya Buddhism.

This suggests that this idea of women being responsible for the premature demise of the dhamma was introduced after the schism in 340 BCE at Pāṭaliputra, which resulted in the two main branches of Nikāya Buddhism, Mahāsāṃghika and Sthaviravāda, coming to exist.

It is a canonical teaching in Theravāda, but not all early Buddhist schools had such a teaching.