Bad resources

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Nyana

Re: Bad resources

Post by Nyana »

Vepacitta wrote:It's presumptuous to tell me that I cannot express my opinion or to imply that my having an opinion and expressing it is presumptuous.
Hi V,

I'm not denying you your opinion or your right of expression. I just don't think that in this case your opinion is all that accurate. That's my opinion. And the basis for my opinion is this: After Trungpa's death Ani Pema worked for many years to try to build up a practical foundation of personal responsibility in a pretty chaotic community. It was a thankless situation to put it mildly. Other people may very well have thrown their hands in the air and walked away from the whole thing. She didn't. And in time other people began to benefit from what she herself had learned along the way. Her message isn't perfect. Fortunately it doesn't have to be. In fact, a big part of her teaching has been about learning to face the "imperfections" of this messy thing we call our life. And face them with an open heart and a courageous mind -- not as a naïve abstraction -- but as a real, living, human heart and mind. This is where development happens. Right here. There's really no other way.

All the best,

Geoff
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Well said Nana...whatever ones own reservation concerning Vajrayana, and mine are profound..It cant be denied that Pema Chodren is a teacher of great wisdom and life experience.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Vepacitta

Post by Vepacitta »

Nana -

You should have spoken to me as this way in the first place instead of trying to shut me up and bully me. Your tone was not appreciated.

That being said - I still am extremely under impressed by Pema Chodron and I stand by those words. If a teacher has what I deem to be no moral ground - then there is nothing there - and not in a good way.

From Mt. Meru,

V.

NB - if you feel the need to keep this up about Ven Chodron - pm me - don't take up the thread with this.
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura
Viriya

Post by Viriya »

While not a dhamma book, I didn't enjoy Children Who Have Lived Before, by Trutz Hardo. It was pure recycled Stevenson...but the absolute worst of Stevenson, not even the tolerable aspects of his 'research'...in poor English and I have to hide it whenever I have friends come round because I'd rather them not see that offense on my bookshelf. I wouldn't give it away because I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Maybe it will make good compost...
I'm not very good at right speech, although I try, so please guide and correct me if necessary so I don't make bad kamma for myself and cause others to be annoyed. (=
alan

Post by alan »

Have to stand with V here.
alan

Post by alan »

Maybe there was a reason it all fell apart. Maybe, it should just fall apart.