Illusion and Emptiness

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Re: Illusion and Emptiness

Postby Prasadachitta » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:25 pm

tiltbillings wrote:
gabrielbranbury wrote:Hi Tilt,

You And I do not disagree. Because I have a certain amount of reverence for and confidence in the Sangha generally, I tend to take it for granted that the teachings of Abhidhamma are for the purpose of diminishing and ending suffering and not for establishing philosophical arguments. This conclusion does not arise out of intense study even though I do enjoy a good Dhamma book from time to time. Gabe
not for establishing philosophical arguments On the other hand it is worthwhile having some idea of what the teachings are actually saying, and it is worthwhile to respond to a gross misrepresentation of the Theravada idea of dhammas we are seeing in 5heap's msgs. The Mahayana/Madhyamaka critique of the ideas of dharmas as being ultimate partless particles with findable true existence does not really address what is found in the Theravadin texts.

The various Tibetan scholastic tenet systems developed by the various schools of Tibetan Buddhism serves a didactic purpose for those schools, but it is not a solid basis for understanding any extinct or extant school of Buddhism outside the one putting forth the tenet sustem.



Hi Tilt,

Again I agree with your statements. I am not a fan of that particular didactic paradigm even though it appears to me to have been quite effective for many.

Metta

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
User avatar
Prasadachitta
 
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:52 am
Location: San Francisco (The Mission) Ca USA

Re: Illusion and Emptiness

Postby catmoon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:02 pm

not sure who said this but... wrote: The Mahayana/Madhyamaka critique of the ideas of dharmas as being ultimate partless particles with findable true existence does not really address what is found in the Theravadin texts.



Is Shantideva a valid Theravadin text? I may be reading him wrong, but he seems to shred the bolded concepts pretty thoroughly.
User avatar
catmoon
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:59 am

Re: Illusion and Emptiness

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:06 pm

catmoon wrote:
not sure who said this but... wrote: The Mahayana/Madhyamaka critique of the ideas of dharmas as being ultimate partless particles with findable true existence does not really address what is found in the Theravadin texts.



Is Shantideva a valid Theravadin text? I may be reading him wrong, but he seems to shred the bolded concepts pretty thoroughly.


Shantideva is a person, not a text so no :tongue:

but it would still be no, I believe he was mahasangha not Theravadin.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
User avatar
Cittasanto
 
Posts: 5831
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Ellan Vannin

Re: Illusion and Emptiness

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:59 pm

Manapa wrote:
catmoon wrote:
not sure who said this but... wrote: The Mahayana/Madhyamaka critique of the ideas of dharmas as being ultimate partless particles with findable true existence does not really address what is found in the Theravadin texts.



Is Shantideva a valid Theravadin text? I may be reading him wrong, but he seems to shred the bolded concepts pretty thoroughly.


Shantideva is a person, not a text so no :tongue:

but it would still be no, I believe he was mahasangha not Theravadin.

Shantideva was a Madhyamika and one of the first great systematizers of the Mahayana.

but he seems to shred the bolded concepts pretty thoroughly.
Sure, however, he is not addressing the Theravada.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
User avatar
tiltbillings
 
Posts: 19765
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Previous

Return to Open Dhamma

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cooran, Google [Bot] and 6 guests