Choice

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Aloof

Re: Choice

Post by Aloof »

On second thoughts... Lotus sutra is not for everyday persons. Persons who are not ardently on the path of Lotus sutra should remain away from it.
But it gives many answers not available anywhere else. Reading it won"t harm anyone. Misreading it is wrong. Condeming it without understanding is very very wrong. Do not condemn , but you may remain away from its details which do not agree with you.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Aloof wrote:On second thoughts... Lotus sutra is not for everyday persons. Persons who are not ardently on the path of Lotus sutra should remain away from it.
But it gives many answers not available anywhere else. Reading it won"t harm anyone. Misreading it is wrong. Condeming it without understanding is very very wrong. Do not condemn , but you may remain away from its details which do not agree with you.
It does not give any answers. It gives a strongly and ugly sectarian point of view that condemns anyone who rejects it. It is hardly Buddhism at it best. Why do come to a Theravada forum and advocate for a text that characterizes the Theravada teachings in the worst possible way?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Aloof

Post by Aloof »

tiltbillings wrote:. Why do come to a Theravada forum and advocate for a text that characterizes the Theravada teachings in the worst possible way?

I am not advocating it. I am fighting an aggression. I only answered a question whose answer was available in lotus sutra. I again repeat that Lotus sutra is not available for everyone and one should better keep away from it. BUT IT MAY BE VERY VERY IMPORTANT FOR SOME ONE. We should not deprive that SINE ONE from the contact.
Please understand I am very very serious. That is why I told in DEFENCE the golden cover, golden words and many many manhours spent in preserving it.

This text awaits for SOME ONE very very special. Thanks and please with folded hands.
Aloof

Post by Aloof »

Moreover we are on the thread "connection to other paths". Do we not discus christianity, mahayan or hinduism here.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Aloof wrote:
tiltbillings wrote: Why do come to a Theravada forum and advocate for a text that characterizes the Theravada teachings in the worst possible way?

I am not advocating it. I am fighting an aggression. I only answered a question whose answer was available in lotus sutra. I again repeat that Lotus sutra is not available for everyone and one should better keep away from it. BUT IT MAY BE VERY VERY IMPORTANT FOR SOME ONE. We should not deprive that SINE ONE from the contact.
Please understand I am very very serious. That is why I told in DEFENCE the golden cover, golden words and many many manhours spent in preserving it.

This text awaits for SOME ONE very very special. Thanks and please with folded hands.
That is your opinion, which needless to say, I do not share. I have read the Lotus sutra carefully three times, hoping to find value in the text. This is a text that was not taught by the Buddha, but, rather it gives us a highly sectarian vision things, but brushing aside its ugly sectarianism, it gives no real answers in its mystical, cosmic Buddha notion. One is far better off which the Pali texts and equivalents, and there are far better Mahayana texts if one so inclined. Again, the Lotus Sutra has no place on this forum.
Moreover we are on the thread "connection to other paths". Do we not discus christianity, mahayan or hinduism here.
And that is the point: What is the connexion of the Lotus Sutra to the Theravada? Nothing. If you want to tout the "virtues of the Lotus Sutra, that your choice, and how that plays out will be determined by the management here as the lines up what you say to the Term of Service.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Aloof

Post by Aloof »

So be it
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

If we are suggesting other forums for questions about the Mahayana I would add the small Zen Forum (http://www.zenforuminternational.org/) which was started in reaction to Dharmawheel. You can post questions in the "Ask the teacher" section to get an response from actual Zen teachers or in the other sections to get a response from the members.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Caodemarte wrote:If we are suggesting other forums for questions about the Mahayana I would add the small Zen Forum (http://www.zenforuminternational.org/) which was started in reaction to Dharmawheel. You can post questions in the "Ask the teacher" section to get an response from actual Zen teachers or in the other sections to get a response from the members.
DharmaWheel was started after ZFI was started. ZFI was a response to the really nasty treatment Zen got at the hands of some individual who ran the now dead E-Sangha. DhammaWheel was also started in response to the extreme autocratic behavior of some of the E-Sangha management.

Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

Yes, I recently joined Dharmawheel because I thought it had been cleaned up. I quit after a short while when it became clear that some of the same people, including the one you mention, who were so destructive before were poisoning the atmosphere once again. That is why I hesitate to steer anyone that way.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Caodemarte wrote:Yes, I recently joined Dharmawheel because I thought it had been cleaned up. I quit after a short while when it became clear that some of the same people, including the one you mention, who were so destructive before were poisoning the atmosphere once again. That is why I hesitate to steer anyone that way.
I know what you mean.