"The Broken Buddha" by Ven.Dhammika and other scandals

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Re: "The Broken Buddha" by Ven.Dhammika and other scandals

Postby Dan74 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:55 pm

Perkele, while this is how it is likely to be perceived my intention was not to "team up against" anyone. Just recently Blackbird and I disagreed rather strongly. This is what happens on these fora a lot and some of it can be useful - we can learn from different perspectives.

Binocular is a frequent contributor and as such is bound to run into some disagreements. I don't think we should take them personally. What do you think?
_/|\_
Dan74

Postby manas » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:50 pm

Hi Perry

just a suggestion: I don't think your title accurately reflects the subject matter being discussed. 'The Broken Buddha' is a book, and it's neither a scandal, nor is it scandalous. 'Controversial' might be a more fitting term, imo. But really, many of the issues Ven. Dhammika raises are quite common knowledge nowadays. What would be scandalous, would be if he encouraged readers to abandon Buddhism on the basis of these problems - but he does no such thing, and in my case I will disclose that this book spurred me to delve more deeply into, and rely on, the Pali Canon as the ultimate authority in matters of doctrine, with individual teachers' primary role now being to help me understand and interpret it for myself. The end result of reading his book, has been a strengthening and deepening of my conviction in the Buddha Dhamma.

kind regards
manas
:anjali:
manas

Postby Ben » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:54 pm

manas wrote:Hi Perry

just a suggestion: I don't think your title accurately reflects the subject matter being discussed.

Various threads on the alleged misdeeds of others have been merged.
kind regards,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby manas » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:12 am

Ben wrote:
manas wrote:Hi Perry

just a suggestion: I don't think your title accurately reflects the subject matter being discussed.

Various threads on the alleged misdeeds of others have been merged.
kind regards,

Ben

Ah, thanks for clarifying that Ben, I did not know.

:anjali:
manas

Postby Ben » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:42 am

This thread will be locked temporarily.
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Open Dhamma