In your view, understanding, Parinibbana is:

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?

In your view, understanding, Parinibbana is:

not applicable, there is no rebirth, it is annihilation for all
2%
no more becoming, non-existence as we know it but not annihilation since there is no self
38%
existence in a buddha-field / realm
5%
pantheism
5%
citta continues in paranibbana
11%
a subtle existence that is ineffable, inexpressible
17%
don't know or agnostic about it, set-aside for now
22%

Total votes: 187

Mr Man

Re: In your view, understanding, Parinibbana is:

Post by Mr Man »

David N. Snyder wrote:
Yes, that would be ideal, but since they are "in" parinibbana, we can't ask them. :tongue:
Ahh so you subscribe to the "existence in a buddha-field / realm" option David. :tongue:
subaru

Post by subaru »

Spiny Norman wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote: The victor in this poll doesn't determine the absolute truth and was not meant to do that.
That's a relief. ;)
maybe the one with least votes is the truth... since we r talking about a path of letting-go ... hohoho <-- joking.. not false-speech
:candle:
Herbie

Post by Herbie »

"Parinibbana" is no term of English language. So either there is a definition for "parinibbana" or there is none. In both cases the poll is not reasonable because if there is no definition then the select list is an inappropriate restriction of individual fantasy and if there is a definition why ask for individual views at all?
Inspiration is based on the exchange of different linguistic expressions. But inspiration is best knowing how language relates to truth. :smile:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

subaru wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote: The victor in this poll doesn't determine the absolute truth and was not meant to do that.
That's a relief. ;)
maybe the one with least votes is the truth... since we r talking about a path of letting-go ... hohoho <-- joking.. not false-speech
What would Buddha vote if he was here now.
:thinking:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon »

I put down number 2, although I have to make the proviso that I disagree with the term 'non-existence as we know it'. I think that non-existence is something that needs to also be set aside. The Kotthita Sutta has something quite interesting to say on this topic:
Then Ven. Maha Kotthita went to Ven. Sariputta and, on arrival, exchanged courteous greetings with him. After an exchange of friendly greetings & courtesies, he sat to one side. As he was sitting there, he said to Ven. Sariputta, "With the remainderless stopping & fading of the six contact-media [vision, hearing, smell, taste, touch, & intellection] is it the case that there is anything else?"

[Sariputta:] "Don't say that, my friend."

[Maha Kotthita:] "With the remainderless stopping & fading of the six contact-media, is it the case that there is not anything else?"
[Sariputta:] "The statement, 'With the remainderless stopping & fading of the six contact-media [vision, hearing, smell, taste, touch, & intellection] is it the case that there is anything else?' objectifies non-objectification.[1] The statement, '... is it the case that there is not anything else ... [objectifies non-objectification.]...However far the six contact-media go, that is how far objectification goes. However far objectification goes, that is how far the six contact media go. With the remainderless fading & stopping of the six contact-media, there comes to be the stopping, the allaying of objectification.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Herbie wrote:"Parinibbana" is no term of English language. So either there is a definition for "parinibbana" or there is none. In both cases the poll is not reasonable because if there is no definition then the select list is an inappropriate restriction of individual fantasy and if there is a definition why ask for individual views at all?
Did you read the thread? There is a list of definitions on page 1 of this thread. There are lots of threads and polls here on DW; if you don't like any of them, then don't participate. Not every discussion is everyone's cup of tea.

As I mentioned previously, the victor in this poll does not determine the absolute truth. It just shows where some Buddhists are on this issue, not much different than a poll on any other issue; it just shows views.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Mr Man wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:
Yes, that would be ideal, but since they are "in" parinibbana, we can't ask them. :tongue:
Ahh so you subscribe to the "existence in a buddha-field / realm" option David. :tongue:
:D

When I was in India, I met some Theravada Buddhist nuns who showed us around their temple. They mentioned that they hope to attain Nibbana soon so that they can meet the Buddha.

Lots of wide varying views in Buddhism on this subject.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

subaru wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:That's a relief. ;)
I don't like being in fashion anyway. ;)
Buddha save me from new-agers!
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I still haven't voted for this due to following reasons.
a) If you vote it become a view, it is an attempt to objectify the non-objectified
b) If I voted, I indirectly indicating that I am an Arahant.
c) If I am not Arahant, there is no point of assuming about it. It becomes a hindarance
d) Sutta always indicate the qualities of Nibbana not what Nibbana is.
So it is best to limit our understanding to the description of the Sutta.

This however is not the criticism of the people who vote.
This is just another view point.
:juggling:
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

SarathW wrote: So it is best to limit our understanding to the description of the Sutta.
The suttas are subject to interpretation though.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

Spiny Norman wrote:
SarathW wrote: So it is best to limit our understanding to the description of the Sutta.
The suttas are subject to interpretation though.
That's a big problem. And we are subject to sticking to our own interpretations only. That's a bigger problem.
Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder »

I think it more an issue of being patient, waiting till we have attained the ability to unbind and release, so that our understanding will be experiential rather than intellectual or simply a matter of belief. Beliefs have led mankind down some very dark and foolish paths. My favorite belief is from Popeye's perspective where he believed that Whimpy would would repay him next tuesday for a hamburger today?....or something to that effect:
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
Herbie

Post by Herbie »

In m view Parinibbana is a buddhist idea.
Inspiration is based on the exchange of different linguistic expressions. But inspiration is best knowing how language relates to truth. :smile:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Herbie wrote:In m view Parinibbana is a buddhist idea.
Agree.
Asking what is Parinibbana is something like asking what is New York.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Wouldn't the Buddha as per the Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta pretty much vote for the last option and remain in epistemic epoche, that is, until actual awakening leads one to see the truth for oneself? This is how I've always seen it anyways.

Voted for the last option, for the record. :tongue:
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14