In your view, understanding, Parinibbana is:

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?

In your view, understanding, Parinibbana is:

not applicable, there is no rebirth, it is annihilation for all
2%
no more becoming, non-existence as we know it but not annihilation since there is no self
38%
existence in a buddha-field / realm
5%
pantheism
5%
citta continues in paranibbana
11%
a subtle existence that is ineffable, inexpressible
17%
don't know or agnostic about it, set-aside for now
22%

Total votes: 187

daverupa

Re: In your view, understanding, Parinibbana is:

Post by daverupa »

thepea wrote:One with God.
How does this relate to the poll options in the OP?
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
thepea

Post by thepea »

daverupa wrote:
Its closest to #7 with a bit of atheism.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

thepea wrote:
daverupa wrote:
Being "One with God" is a combination of 'don't know or agnostic about it, set-aside for now' and a bit of atheism?

That makes no sense. None at all. Please explain this, if you can. (Remain focused on parinibbana, please, and try not to write a whole essay.)
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

I still don't understand the practical difference between the first two options on the poll.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Spiny Norman wrote:I still don't understand the practical difference between the first two options on the poll.
The first is a materialism; everyone dies the same, with the same result: annihilation of the person, their ending and utter cessation.

The second is a parinibbana that comes after practice, not automatically.

The metaphysical difference may be similar, but this is why the Buddha was often confused for an annihilationist, back in the day.

thepea

Post by thepea »

daverupa wrote:
Being "One with God" is a combination of 'don't know or agnostic about it, set-aside for now' and a bit of atheism?

That makes no sense. None at all. Please explain this, if you can. (Remain focused on parinibbana, please, and try not to write a whole essay.)
Holding to no belief in the existence of God(nibanna) God is unknowable one can only be God.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

thepea wrote:Holding to no belief in the existence of God(nibanna) God is unknowable one can only be God.
Gibberish; nowhere in the poll, and nowhere in the denotation of the term 'nibbana', nor of 'parinibbana', the OP here.

Please stop contributing off-topic, inaccurate prate.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

daverupa wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:I still don't understand the practical difference between the first two options on the poll.
The first is a materialism; everyone dies the same, with the same result: annihilation of the person, their ending and utter cessation.

The second is a parinibbana that comes after practice, not automatically.

The metaphysical difference may be similar, but this is why the Buddha was often confused for an annihilationist, back in the day.
Correct, that is what I meant; thanks for pointing that out / clarifying that.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

thepea wrote:
daverupa wrote:
No, being "one with God" sounds more like pantheism; not number 7 at all.
thepea

Post by thepea »

David N. Snyder wrote:
No, being "one with God" sounds more like pantheism; not number 7 at all.
Hello David,
Pantheism.
1.a doctrine that identifies God with the universe, or regards the universe as a manifestation of God.
2. rare
worship that admits or tolerates all gods.

The use of "identifying" God leads me to belive this is not a good fit. I think #7 is closer (the way I described it) to my view than pantheism.
Identify seems to objectify God.
Herbie

Post by Herbie »

I guess from a buddhist perspective I would count as a nihilist. But from a non-buddhist philosophical perspective I do not qualify as nihilist. Anyway i have chosen
"not applicable, there is no rebirth, it is annihilation for all"
Inspiration is based on the exchange of different linguistic expressions. But inspiration is best knowing how language relates to truth. :smile:
Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon »

Reading through the Suttas, I came across something that I think captures my view on the subject quite succinctly.
AN 4.174
Then the Venerable Mahākoṭṭhita approached the Venerable Sāriputta and exchanged greetings with
him. When they had concluded their greetings and cordial talk, he sat down to one side and asked the
Venerable Sāriputta:
(1) “Friend, with the remainderless fading away and cessation of the six bases for contact, is there
anything else?” 879
“Do not say so, friend.”
(2) “With the remainderless fading away and cessation of the six bases for contact, is there nothing
else?”
“Do not say so, friend.”
(3) “With the remainderless fading away and cessation of the six bases for contact, is there both
something else and nothing else?”
“Do not say so, friend.”
(4) “With the remainderless fading away and cessation of the six bases for contact, is there neither
something else nor nothing else?”
“Do not say so, friend.” 880
“Friend, when you are asked: ‘With the remainderless fading away and cessation of the six bases for
contact, is there something else?’ you say: ‘Do not say so, friend.’ And when you are asked: ‘With the
remainderless fading away and cessation of the six bases for contact, is there nothing else? … Is there
both something else and nothing else? … Is there neither something else nor nothing else?’ [in each case]
you say: ‘Do not say so, friend.’ In what way should the meaning of this statement be understood?”
(1) “Friend, if one says: ‘With the remainderless fading away and cessation of the six bases for contact,
there is something else,’ one proliferates that which is not to be proliferated. 881 (2) If one says: ‘Friend,
with the remainderless fading away and cessation of the six bases for contact, there is nothing else,’ one
proliferates that which is not to be proliferated. (3) If one says: ‘Friend, with the remainderless fading
away and cessation of the six bases for contact, there is both something else and nothing else,’ one
proliferates that which is not to be proliferated. (4) If one says: ‘Friend, with the remainderless fadingaway and cessation of the six bases for contact, there is neither something else nor nothing else,’ one
proliferates that which is not to be proliferated.
“Friend, as far as the range of the six bases for contact extends, just so far extends the range of
proliferation. 882 As far as the range of proliferation extends, [162] just so far extends the range of the six
bases for contact. With the remainderless fading away and cessation of the six bases for contact there is
the cessation of proliferation, the subsiding of proliferation.”
So far as I can see, the meaning of this is that saying that Nibbana is something or saying that it is nothing are both wrong because Nibbana is totally beyond our concepts, and so it cannot be characterized either way. I actually put down both #2 and #6 for the poll because they are the closest to this, but they both fall on opposite sides of it so I couldn't pick between the two.

I'm just mentioning this to put down my opinion, not to really argue for anything though.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Parinibbana, aka:" nibbana without remainder" is a complete and remainderless cessation of the 5 aggregates without anything remaining.

The reason it is beyond concepts is because there isn't anything there that could be a basis for concepts.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Alex
My understanding is you cant cease the five aggregate.
Cessation of perception and feeling is considered the Parinibbana.
I may be wrong. :)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

SarathW wrote:Hi Alex
My understanding is you cant cease the five aggregate.
So, do you believe in some sort of eternal existence of 5 aggregates?