[Book] The Mind Illuminated

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Nicolas

[Book] The Mind Illuminated

Post by Nicolas »

Have any of you read the new book by Upasaka Culadasa, The Mind Illuminated? I've heard good things about it online.
Aloka

Re: [Book] The Mind Illuminated

Post by Aloka »

I haven't read it myself.

According to this website:
With over four decades of mediation experience, Culadasa builds on the nine-stage model of meditation originally articulated by the ancient Indian sage Asanga, crystallizing the entire meditative journey into 10 clearly defined stages.

http://scienceandnonduality.com/speaker ... ates-ph-d/
The Indian teacher Asanga (3rd-4th century) is well known in Tibetan Buddhism - and he claimed to have been transported to the Tushita heaven and given teachings from the next Buddha Maitreya.

gben

Post by gben »

Aloka wrote:
With over four decades of mediation experience, Culadasa builds on the nine-stage model of meditation originally articulated by the ancient Indian sage Asanga, crystallizing the entire meditative journey into 10 clearly defined stages.
The Indian teacher Asanga (3rd-4th century) is well known in Tibetan Buddhism - and he claimed to have been transported to the Tushita heaven and given teachings from the next Buddha Maitreya..

There are no stages in real meditation, there is only meditating and not meditating.

There is no hierarchy that is real, ignore them all.

When you are thinking then you are not meditating, when you are meditating you are not thinking,

The End
sfoobar

Post by sfoobar »

I am reading it at the moment and really like it so far! :anjali:
Javi

Post by Javi »

I have it and I think it is a pretty good introduction and practice manual.
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14