Are experiences inherently valuable?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
rolling_boulder

Are experiences inherently valuable?

Post by rolling_boulder »

Hi,

What I came to ask is the question in the subject.
Stated in another way, are experiences valuable in and of themselves?

I.e. you will hear people tell you "Go travel, it's worth it for the experience."
or "Go to this restaurant, it's expensive but it's worth it for the experience."

Thanks
RB
The world is swept away. It does not endure...
The world is without shelter, without protector...
The world is without ownership. One has to pass on, leaving everything behind...
The world is insufficient, insatiable, a slave to craving.
Goofaholix

Re: Are experiences inherently valuable?

Post by Goofaholix »

No, the value comes not so much from the experience but from the wisdom that you may or may not apply or learn from the experience.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Goof,

Well said. You've hit the nail on the head IMO.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
bodom

Post by bodom »

image.jpg
image.jpg (68.31 KiB) Viewed 1747 times
:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Digity

Post by Digity »

What if spend a day at the beach and feel very relaxed afterwards? Doesn't that have value? Sure, you didn't gain much wisdom, but it was distressing and you feel more relaxed. That has value. If you don't provide outlets for stress then it just builds up and can lead to problems.
subaru

Post by subaru »

If I think it is, then to me it is valuable

If I think it is not, then to me it is not valuable, my mind will decide if it's valuable or otherwise with the objective to make me feel good/wise/happy

If I ask people's opinion, then it could be anything, depending on who I ask, I have no idea the criteria they use to decide what to say

If I stop thinking but instead experience the experience, then it is neither valuable nor valueless, it is just reality

IMHO, all the above are ok as long as I am aware which mode of 'reality' I am in
Last edited by subaru on Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
:candle:
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

No worth learning thru experience that walking down a dark street alone is a bad idea or riding a motorbike without a helmet. Not everything is worth learning thru experience. Googling does just as well. :stirthepot:
subaru

Post by subaru »

subaru wrote: my mind will decide if it's valuable or otherwise with the objective to make me feel good/wise/happy

And as times goes by. One day, if think that even the 'Happiness' that my mind gives me in it's fabricated reality is Unsatisfactory,

Then...

I go seek the Buddha, Dhamma and the Sangha for happiness in unconditioned reality.... no harm trying.. what have I got to loose?
:candle:
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

rolling_boulder wrote:
What I came to ask is the question in the subject.
Stated in another way, are experiences valuable in and of themselves?
Life as a human being is full of experiences of one kind or another, but attraction or aversion to them is optional.

Here's a quote from Ajahn Sumedho in "The Way it Is "(p.68) which might be helpful in connection with difficult experiences:
Being born as a human being is a real challenge in terms of how to use this experience of birth, human experience, this sensitive state that we’re living in. Some people think about committing suicide: “just get it over with” — it’s just too hard to bear, too much to stand, a lifetime of this continuous irritation and guilt, remorse and fear of the unknown. It can be so utterly depressing that we think it’s better to kill ourselves. Or, as the Buddha encouraged us, we can wake up to it, learn from it, see it as an opportunity, as a challenge, as something to learn from. We can develop wisdom in terms of the conditions and the experiences that we have in this life — which are not guaranteed always to be the best.

Many of us have had to experience all kinds of frustrations, disappointments, disillusionments and failures. Of course if we take that personally, we want to end it all very quickly. But if we put it in the context of knowing the world as the world, we can take anything. We have incredible abilities to learn from even the most unfair and miserable, painful and nasty conditions. These are not obstructions to enlightenment; this issue is whether we we use them to awaken or not.

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/intui ... reness.pdf

NotMe

Post by NotMe »

bodom wrote:
image.jpg
Brings tears ... so true.

Thank you, bodom.
gben

Post by gben »

Anything that helps life continue is valuable. Anything used to help others is valuable.

If memories are used to this end then they are valuable.

If memories are used to help your self, they are destructive.

You take no chances with your life and limb not for your own sake, but so tomorrow you can use them for the sake of others.

In the moments spent serving others, the self ceases to be, so how will you spend all moments?