Arahat in Sri Lanka

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
D1W1

Arahat in Sri Lanka

Post by D1W1 »

Hello all,

Has anyone read the story of someone who accidentally met an Arahant at the remote place in Sri Lanka?
I think this person called Dharmasar. Not sure if he is still in touch with the Arahant but does anyone know whether the story is real? Thanks.

EDIT:
...I visited one of the monasteries, way up in the mountains and so far back in the woods there was no telephone or electricity. There I met The Arahant. Long story short, he is a senior monk who has realized the complete teaching of the Buddha. I convinced him that the world needs his teachings very badly. Especially, he was shocked when I described what is being taught as ‘Buddhism’ in the Western countries.

Eventually, I was able to convince him to share his wisdom on the Internet. To get him to agree to this, I had to promise to keep his identity and location confidential. He does not want followers or disciples, or ‘spiritual tourists’ showing up at his doorstep. I also had to build him a stone cottage and become his assistant and apprentice. Now I am a candidate for ordination, having been put through an intense course of meditation. I have made tremendous progress under the Arahant’s direction...

https://thearahant.wordpress.com/about/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by D1W1 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Man

Re: Arahat in Sri Lanka

Post by Mr Man »

Hi Diwi
I haven't heard of the story.
D1W1

Post by D1W1 »

Mr Man wrote:Hi Diwi
I haven't heard of the story.
Hi Mr Man, just edited my post.
dhammarelax

Post by dhammarelax »

D1W1 wrote:Hello all,

Has anyone read the story of someone who accidentally met an Arahant at the remote place in Sri Lanka?
I think this person called Dharmasar. Not sure if he is still in touch with the Arahant but does anyone know whether the story is real? Thanks.

EDIT:
...I visited one of the monasteries, way up in the mountains and so far back in the woods there was no telephone or electricity. There I met The Arahant. Long story short, he is a senior monk who has realized the complete teaching of the Buddha. I convinced him that the world needs his teachings very badly. Especially, he was shocked when I described what is being taught as ‘Buddhism’ in the Western countries.

Eventually, I was able to convince him to share his wisdom on the Internet. To get him to agree to this, I had to promise to keep his identity and location confidential. He does not want followers or disciples, or ‘spiritual tourists’ showing up at his doorstep. I also had to build him a stone cottage and become his assistant and apprentice. Now I am a candidate for ordination, having been put through an intense course of meditation. I have made tremendous progress under the Arahant’s direction...

https://thearahant.wordpress.com/about/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From the link:
"The Arahant: Jhana, like any state of consciousness, is a platform of awareness. It provides a background for perception that, like any context, colors the phenomena one perceives in that state. When the mind is concentrated it becomes luminous and clear, and any identification with phenomena is seen as an obstacle to the mind approaching its original state."
The minds "original state"is something the Buddha did not teach.
"There is also a horizontal relation between them. For example, if through our practice we are able to arrest the process of Dependent Origination at the stage of Contact, we immediately find ourselves at Wisdom Sight on the Noble Eightfold Path, and can realize the coveted Eye of the Teaching. The earlier we can arrest the progression of Dependent Origination, the higher we find ourselves on the Noble Eightfold Path."
I dont think this was taught by the Buddha, having seen a few times ear contact I haven't experienced "the coveted Eye of the Teaching".
"Q: It seems like whenever I violate my integrity in the slightest or do any little thing wrong, I get an immediate reaction. Why is this?

The Arahant: It’s an example of ‘instant kamma‘. When a person’s kamma is very clean, when they are close to enlightenment, they have very little or no bad kamma. Consequently whenever they slip, the result comes immediately."
Has anyone a Sutta reference for this "instant Kamma"?, I believe this to be correct.
"When you can let go of identifying with thoughts, you are able to see the inner light in full strength, a magnificent vision. Finally, you will realize that the inner light is coming from your self—your authentic self, not your false ego. At that time the subject/object dichotomy turns inside-out, and you realize what you really are: you are the inner light."
"you are the inner light", seems like a doctrine of the self, this was not taught by the Buddha, maybe this monk is following the Dhammakaya sect.

I didn't read all the entries, most of the things seem correct, but the "you are the inner light" sounds like a big mistake, this internal light is treated in the Suttas as something wholesome but not as "you are the inner light".

Smile all the time
dhammarelax
Last edited by dhammarelax on Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5
SDC

Post by SDC »

Hello, dhammarelax, in some of your recent posts it is difficult to tell what is quoted and what is yours. Not telling you what to do, just pointing it out.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
dhammarelax

Post by dhammarelax »

SDC wrote:Hello, dhammarelax, in some of your recent posts it is difficult to tell what is quoted and what is yours. Not telling you what to do, just pointing it out.
I edited the post. Thanks.
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

dhammarelax wrote:

EDIT:

https://thearahant.wordpress.com/about/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From the link:
"The Arahant: Jhana, like any state of consciousness, is a platform of awareness. It provides a background for perception that, like any context, colors the phenomena one perceives in that state. When the mind is concentrated it becomes luminous and clear, and any identification with phenomena is seen as an obstacle to the mind approaching its original state."
"There is also a horizontal relation between them. For example, if through our practice we are able to arrest the process of Dependent Origination at the stage of Contact, we immediately find ourselves at Wisdom Sight on the Noble Eightfold Path, and can realize the coveted Eye of the Teaching. The earlier we can arrest the progression of Dependent Origination, the higher we find ourselves on the Noble Eightfold Path."
I dont think this was taught by the Buddha, having seen a few times ear contact I haven't experienced "the coveted Eye of the Teaching".
"Q: It seems like whenever I violate my integrity in the slightest or do any little thing wrong, I get an immediate reaction. Why is this?

The Arahant: It’s an example of ‘instant kamma‘. When a person’s kamma is very clean, when they are close to enlightenment, they have very little or no bad kamma. Consequently whenever they slip, the result comes immediately."
Has anyone a Sutta reference for this "instant Kamma"?, I believe this to be correct.
"When you can let go of identifying with thoughts, you are able to see the inner light in full strength, a magnificent vision. Finally, you will realize that the inner light is coming from your self—your authentic self, not your false ego. At that time the subject/object dichotomy turns inside-out, and you realize what you really are: you are the inner light."
"you are the inner light", seems like a doctrine of the self, this was not taught by the Buddha, maybe this monk is following the Dhammakaya sect.

I didn't read all the entries, most of the things seem correct, but the "you are the inner light" sounds like a big mistake, this internal light is treated in the Suttas as something wholesome but not as "you are the inner light".

Smile all the time
dhammarelax
The minds original state is something the Buddha did in fact teach "Luminous, monks, is the mind. And it is defiled by incoming defilements."
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

thearahant.wordpress.com wrote:So there is a lot more to do after attaining to Arahant. It is not the end of the game; actually it is just the beginning, the price of the ticket to the really interesting places.
'nough said.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It's not easy to tell a deluded person that they are deluded since none of us are completely free from delusion ourselves. Only a Buddha or someone like him would know how to fix a deluded “Arahant's” problem or those of his disciples and supporters.

IMO (which is not worth a lot because I haven't lived in Sri Lanka since 1991 and then only for one Rains), Buddhism in Sri Lanka is so degenerate (150 Monks standing for parliament!?) that the general populace are disenchanted with monks. They are searching earnestly for genuine, practising monks, who have gained some stage of enlightenment. However, if faith is strong and wisdom is weak, the field is ripe for fake teachers to appear. Everyone wants to find a short and easy path to nibbāna, but those times have long since gone.

Some say that to attain nibbāna is no longer possible, others say that it is easy. I think that both of these two extremes are wrong.

Anuruddha Mahāvitakka Sutta
  1. This Dhamma is for one who wants little, not for one who wants much (appicchassāyaṃ dhammo, nāyaṃ dhammo mahicchassa).
  2. This Dhamma is for the contented, not for the discontented (santuṭṭhassāyaṃ dhammo, nāyaṃ dhammo asantuṭṭhassa).
  3. This Dhamma is for the reclusive, not for one fond of society (pavivittassāyaṃ dhammo, nāyaṃ dhammo saṅgaṇikārāmassa).
  4. This Dhamma is for the energetic, not for the lazy (āraddhavīriyassāyaṃ dhammo, nāyaṃ dhammo kusītassa).
  5. This Dhamma is for one with well-established mindfulness, not for one of confused mindfulness (upaṭṭhitassatissāyaṃ dhammo, nāyaṃ dhammo muṭṭhassatissa).
  6. This Dhamma is for the composed, not for the uncomposed (samāhitassāyaṃ dhammo, nāyaṃ dhammo asamāhitassa).
  7. This Dhamma is for the wise, not for the unwise (paññavato ayaṃ dhammo, nāyaṃ dhammo duppaññassa).
  8. This Dhamma is for one who is free from impediments, not for one who delights in impediments (nippapañcārāmassāyaṃ dhammo nippapañcaratino, nāyaṃ dhammo papañcārāmassa papañcaratino).
All beings are the owners of their own kamma, and will inherit its results.

Bearing that in mind, it is not our duty to dissuade you from your chosen path, but to me this doesn't seem to be how genuine Arahants teach or operate.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
FutureBhikkhu

Post by FutureBhikkhu »

D1W1 wrote:
https://thearahant.wordpress.com/about/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just to state the obvious, this person could have been contact with an arahant, or he could be answering the submitted questions himself.
Has anyone else followed his YouTube videos that were heavily based upon the reading of R.G de S. Wettimuny's book entitled Ambiguity of Existence? The series ran from around 2013-2014 and were hosted by someone called Buddha Dave aka Nyanasara Thero aka Dharmasara (there is a reason why he has to have different aliases). He is a very intelligent guy, and quite astute, but at the same time very suspicious in his intentions (imo).

It would be interesting to hear from anybody else who watched his Skillful Living Network videos, and whether they checked to see if the "spam" about his past actions were true or false....
Keep on developing the causes of the Ultimate. Moreover, use your ingenuity to find novel ways to do acts of Goodness.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Some food for thought regarding this 'original mind' business.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

FutureBhikkhu wrote:
D1W1 wrote:
https://thearahant.wordpress.com/about/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just to state the obvious, this person could have been contact with an arahant, or he could be answering the submitted questions himself.
Has anyone else followed his YouTube videos that were heavily based upon the reading of R.G de S. Wettimuny's book entitled Ambiguity of Existence? The series ran from around 2013-2014 and were hosted by someone called Buddha Dave aka Nyanasara Thero aka Dharmasara (there is a reason why he has to have different aliases). He is a very intelligent guy, and quite astute, but at the same time very suspicious in his intentions (imo).

It would be interesting to hear from anybody else who watched his Skillful Living Network videos, and whether they checked to see if the "spam" about his past actions were true or false....
There are reports and photos on the internet of this guy and some of his disciples in India years ago, it was a big scandal, but that does not mean that everything he says is useless, I agree with your assessment that he is intelligent.

On this forum, there are lengthy discussions about the teachings of a monk who believed that he is a sotapanna, suffered from satyriasis (uncontrollable or excessive sexual desire in a man) then committed suicide! Does not sound like a perfectly sane human being, does he?

Rajneesh (Osho) was another controversial figure who did not denounce sex and had a lot of controversy regarding the actions of his disciples (and then got deported from the US), but it wont be fair to say that he had nothing to teach or that he was not innovative in his ways.

Chogyam Trungpa was an alcoholic and a womanizer and his "crazy wisdom" is another example, yet if you read his book "cutting through spiritual materialism" you wont take him lightly

There is only a fine line that separates genius from madness, but both are useful in the way they challenge our assumptions and habitual thinking. I find it funny when people search for help, and at the same time put themselves in a position to judge others. Personally, I think that the safest way is to practice alone, but if we decide to listen to what others have to say, then we better be humble and just listen, accepting what agrees with our own observations and common sense, and reject the rest.

Peace
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

One of my friends, said (few days back) that he visited an Arahants (in Sri Lanka).
He has very little knowledge about Buddha's teaching, so I ask how does he know about it.
He said all the people say that this particular monk is an Arahant.
The problem is only a Arhant will know whether another is an Arahant.
However a person with Sutta knowledge with some practice can tell who is not an Arahant.
So it is for our well being to understand Sutta and practice, so we will be able to find the right teacher.
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
dhammarelax

Post by dhammarelax »

ihrjordan wrote:
dhammarelax wrote:

EDIT:

https://thearahant.wordpress.com/about/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From the link:

Smile all the time
dhammarelax
The minds original state is something the Buddha did in fact teach "Luminous, monks, is the mind. And it is defiled by incoming defilements."
Thanks for the quote, although this doesn't mean its the original state of the mind but the state of the mind without defilements, is interesting, I dont know if this quote is evoked by the Dhammakaya sect but since is not part of the Jhana descriptions it must mean a superior state to the jhanas, maybe the mind of the arahant is radiant, I believe I read some references to this in Ajahn Muns related literature and I had a related experience when I practiced the Bud-dho breathing method never thought of it to be something so important.

smile all the time
dhammarelax
D1W1

Post by D1W1 »

Wow! Thanks guys for the quick response.
dhammarelax wrote:you are the inner light", seems like a doctrine of the self, this was not taught by the Buddha, maybe this monk is following the Dhammakaya sect.dhammarelax
In my opinion, theoretically, Nibbana can be attained by those who follow Buddha's teaching but each human being has different habit, kamma, etc.. but this doesn't mean the cessation of birth and death is not available for them. So, I would say the attainment and realization of release is not always 100% same from one individual to another.
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
Bearing that in mind, it is not our duty to dissuade you from your chosen path, but to me this doesn't seem to be how genuine Arahants teach or operate.
Thanks Bhante.
Would you be able to share your thoughts why he doesn't seem to be a genuine Arahant?