Abandoning hindrances

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
tiltbillings

Re: Abandoning hindrances

Post by tiltbillings »

Brizzy wrote:
I am really sorry, I still dont know what your question is.
Which seems to suggests you do not really know what momentary concentration is. "..."the ability to maintain a high degree of concentrated, non-distracted awareness of whatever dhammas comes into awareness: in the seen, just the seen, etc, as they - dhammas - naturally rise and fall." Not part of your experience?
Also you seem quite blaize about "momentary concentration" not being mentioned in the suttas,
That is odd statement. You keep asking me what it is and where in the suttas it is, and I dutifully answer.
one would expect it to be there if it mattered.
It is there. It simply is not called by that name, given that the term "momentary concentration" is a later coinage, but not the idea: "in the seen just the seen, etc."
I wrote:
you wrote:I should have said Satipatthana begins by abandoning the hindrances from where the four foundations via the jhanas can be discerned.
Not that you have shown.
Do show us how that parapraph you quoted from the Satipatthana Sutta supports your contention.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Brizzy wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
in [b]The Jhanas In Theravada Buddhist Meditation [/b]Ven Henepola Gunaratana wrote:Whereas the sequence of training undertaken by the samathayanika meditator is unproblematic, the vipassanayanika's approach presents the difficulty of accounting for the concentration he uses to provide a basis for insight. Concentration is needed in order to see and know things as they are, but without access concentration or jhana, what concentration can he use? The solution to this problem is found in a type of concentration distinct from the access and absorption concentrations pertaining to the vehicle of serenity, called "momentary concentration" (khanika samadhi). Despite its name, momentary concentration does not signify a single moment of concentration amidst a current of distracted thoughts, but a dynamic concentration which flows from object to object in the ever-changing flux of phenomena, retaining a constant degree of intensity and collectedness sufficient to purify the mind of the hindrances. Momentary concentration arises in the samathayanika simultaneously with his post-jhanic attainment of insight, but for the vipassanayanika it develops naturally and spontaneously in the course of his insight practice without his having to fix the mind upon a single exclusive object. Thus the follower of the vehicle of insight does not omit concentration altogether from his training, but develops it in a different manner from the practitioner of serenity. Without gaining jhana he goes directly into contemplation on the five aggregates and by observing them constantly from moment to moment acquires momentary concentration as an accompaniment of his investigations. This momentary concentration fulfills the same function as the basic jhana of the serenity vehicle, providing the foundation of mental clarity needed for insight to emerge.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el351.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hi
Again this is not sutta material
It is, however, not out of line with the sutta material.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Brizzy

Post by Brizzy »

Hi tiltbillings

I swore off posting on this forum, because of the countless and ridiculous editing of my posts............so here I am back again. :smile:

You say that momentary concentration is not out of line with the suttas. Where in the four Nikayas, the real heart of the Buddhas teachings, is momentary concentration taught? Please, please, please give me references and I promise I will rush off to read them.

Metta :smile:

(If its not in the Nikayas - its not the Dhamma)

I am thinking of making this my signature. What do you think?