Jack Kornfield "Psychedelics and Spiritual Practice"

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
chownah

Re: Jack Kornfield "Psychedelics and Spiritual Practice"

Post by chownah »

As for chownah arguing for psychodelics
I think a serious mistake has been made. I do not think that I have ever argued for psychodelics. If anyone thinks I have argued for psychodelics I ask them to please show me the post where I did that.....I don't think you will find it....but if there is one I want to see how I have mistakenly done so.
chownah
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

chownah wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:Suramerayamajja pamadatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness.
I guess then if one must undergo major surgery then one should not accept anesthetic since they are intoxicating and lead to carelessness.
chownah
Medicine is acceptable. Even monks are allowed medicine, so of course lay people are allowed to take medicine, so this can include taking medicine, narcotics for health and medical procedures.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

chownah wrote:
I think a serious mistake has been made. I do not think that I have ever argued for psychodelics. If anyone thinks I have argued for psychodelics I ask them to please show me the post where I did that.....I don't think you will find it....but if there is one I want to see how I have mistakenly done so.
chownah
Sloppy wording on my part, chownah. I apologise.
_/|\_
chownah

Post by chownah »

Dan74 wrote:
chownah wrote:
chownah
Sloppy wording on my part, chownah. I apologise.
Apology accepted.
Thanks.
chownah
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

David N. Snyder wrote:Medicine is acceptable. Even monks are allowed medicine, so of course lay people are allowed to take medicine, so this can include taking medicine, narcotics for health and medical procedures.
A psychedelic can, under the right circumstances, be considered a medicine (and some are considered sacred medicine in certain cultures).
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Nicolas wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:Medicine is acceptable. Even monks are allowed medicine, so of course lay people are allowed to take medicine, so this can include taking medicine, narcotics for health and medical procedures.
A psychedelic can, under the right circumstances, be considered a medicine (and some are considered sacred medicine in certain cultures).
Correct. Here in Nevada and also in many other states, marijuana is allowed with a prescription for various health conditions. Personally, I have no problem with narcotics or psychedelics for health / medical reasons. What I don't accept for me personally is the recreational use or the deluded view that it can create enlightenment experiences. Others may do what they want or hold different views, just mentioning that for me personally I would only take for health / medical reasons.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

David N. Snyder wrote:Personally, I have no problem with narcotics or psychedelics for health / medical reasons. What I don't accept for me personally is the recreational use or the deluded view that it can create enlightenment experiences. Others may do what they want or hold different views, just mentioning that for me personally I would only take for health / medical reasons.
Wise words :anjali: