Is it possible to find an Arahant on the internet?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
dhammacoustic

Is it possible to find an Arahant on the internet?

Post by dhammacoustic »

Well, I don't mean on craiglist, of course :tongue:

Though I've been thinking about it, would one ever get online? Post in forums and stuff?

So if I opened a thread or placed an ad somewhere (in here, for example) would a real one contact me?

:anjali:
Last edited by dhammacoustic on Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
tiltbillings

Re: Is it possible to find an Arahant on the internet?

Post by tiltbillings »

It is possible to find people who claim to be arahant on the internet: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5569
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

For the real thing:
http://Www.accesstoinsight.org
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Certainly, you can find a path to find an Arahant.
By the way how would you know that he is an Arahant?
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Would an arahant know much more than a well-educated and well-practiced Buddhist?
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

SarathW wrote:Certainly, you can find a path to find an Arahant.
By the way how would you know that he is an Arahant?
This comes pretty close:
MN 95 wrote:"Yes, Master Gotama, to this extent there is the safeguarding of the truth. To this extent one safeguards the truth. We regard this as the safeguarding of the truth. But to what extent is there an awakening to the truth? To what extent does one awaken to the truth? We ask Master Gotama about awakening to the truth."

"There is the case, Bharadvaja, where a monk lives in dependence on a certain village or town. Then a householder or householder's son goes to him and observes him with regard to three mental qualities — qualities based on greed, qualities based on aversion, qualities based on delusion: 'Are there in this venerable one any such qualities based on greed that, with his mind overcome by these qualities, he might say, "I know," while not knowing, or say, "I see," while not seeing; or that he might urge another to act in a way that was for his/her long-term harm & pain?' As he observes him, he comes to know, 'There are in this venerable one no such qualities based on greed... His bodily behavior & verbal behavior are those of one not greedy. And the Dhamma he teaches is deep, hard to see, hard to realize, tranquil, refined, beyond the scope of conjecture, subtle, to-be-experienced by the wise. This Dhamma can't easily be taught by a person who's greedy.

When, on observing that the monk is purified with regard to qualities based on greed, he next observes him with regard to qualities based on aversion: 'Are there in this venerable one any such qualities based on aversion that, with his mind overcome by these qualities, he might say, "I know," while not knowing, or say, "I see," while not seeing; or that he might urge another to act in a way that was for his/her long-term harm & pain?' As he observes him, he comes to know, 'There are in this venerable one no such qualities based on aversion... His bodily behavior & verbal behavior are those of one not aversive. And the Dhamma he teaches is deep, hard to see, hard to realize, tranquil, refined, beyond the scope of conjecture, subtle, to-be-experienced by the wise. This Dhamma can't easily be taught by a person who's aversive.

When, on observing that the monk is purified with regard to qualities based on aversion, he next observes him with regard to qualities based on delusion: 'Are there in this venerable one any such qualities based on delusion that, with his mind overcome by these qualities, he might say, "I know," while not knowing, or say, "I see," while not seeing; or that he might urge another to act in a way that was for his/her long-term harm & pain?' As he observes him, he comes to know, 'There are in this venerable one no such qualities based on delusion... His bodily behavior & verbal behavior are those of one not deluded. And the Dhamma he teaches is deep, hard to see, hard to realize, tranquil, refined, beyond the scope of conjecture, subtle, to-be-experienced by the wise. This Dhamma can't easily be taught by a person who's deluded.

When, on observing that the monk is purified with regard to qualities based on delusion, he places conviction in him. With the arising of conviction, he visits him & grows close to him. Growing close to him, he lends ear. Lending ear, he hears the Dhamma. Hearing the Dhamma, he remembers it. Remembering it, he penetrates the meaning of those dhammas. Penetrating the meaning, he comes to an agreement through pondering those dhammas. There being an agreement through pondering those dhammas, desire arises. With the arising of desire, he becomes willing. Willing, he contemplates (lit: "weighs," "compares"). Contemplating, he makes an exertion. Exerting himself, he both realizes the ultimate meaning of the truth with his body and sees by penetrating it with discernment.

"To this extent, Bharadvaja, there is an awakening to the truth. To this extent one awakens to the truth. I describe this as an awakening to the truth. But it is not yet the final attainment of the truth.
Of course this wouldn't be possible over the internet.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Viscid wrote:Would an arahant know much more than a well-educated and well-practiced Buddhist?
Possibly not more in terms of intellectual knowledge. But in terms of the wisdom that cuts through delusion, most definitely.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:thumbsup:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”