Let pet to kill?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
whynotme

Let pet to kill?

Post by whynotme »

Some animals are hunter in born and so, hunts when hungry. Do you let them kill, especially when providing them food is hard?

What should be done?
Please stop following me
Mr Man

Re: Let pet to kill?

Post by Mr Man »

whynotme wrote:Some animals are hunter in born and so, hunts when hungry. Do you let them kill, especially when providing them food is hard?

What should be done?
Do you have this dilemma? If you have a pet and cannot provide food for it have you considered having it adopted?
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

I came a cross a passage recently in a Book called "The Collected Teachings of Ajahn Chah - Vol. 1 Daily Life Practice"
To summarize the background, Ajahn Chah gave a Dhammatalk and was talking about morality when he said this:
"A cat catches mice, but we don't say it is doing evil, because it has no concepts of knowledge of good or bad, right or wrong. These beings are outside the circle of human beings. It is the animal realm. The Buddha pointed out that this group is just living according to the animal kind of kamma. Those who understand right and wrong, good and evil, are humans. The Buddha taught his Dhamma for humans."
I think we shouldn't concern ourselves too much with the kamma of other beings.
We should be mindful about our own kamma.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

As a hypothetical situation that is also true...

My sister had a cat. It was indoor-outdoor but mostly outdoor. It would bring her dead birds and small rodents from its adventures outdoors even though it always had access to cat food.

If she was a practicing Buddhist, what would be the right thing to do if she wanted to keep the cat? Should she have confined the cat indoors? Let things continue as they were?

In reality, she gave the cat to some nice people who are keeping it indoors.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
martinfrank

Post by martinfrank »

acinteyyo wrote: I think we shouldn't concern ourselves too much with the kamma of other beings.
:goodpost:
The Noble Eightfold Path: Proposed to all, imposed on none.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

martinfrank wrote:
acinteyyo wrote: I think we shouldn't concern ourselves too much with the kamma of other beings.
Not having a concepts of knowledge of good or bad, right or wrong will not help you to escape from Kamma.
If you hold a hot iron you will get burned whether you have a knowledge or not.
This is applicable to animal too I suppose.
:thinking:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
whynotme

Post by whynotme »

acinteyyo wrote:I came a cross a passage recently in a Book called "The Collected Teachings of Ajahn Chah - Vol. 1 Daily Life Practice"
To summarize the background, Ajahn Chah gave a Dhammatalk and was talking about morality when he said this:
"A cat catches mice, but we don't say it is doing evil, because it has no concepts of knowledge of good or bad, right or wrong. These beings are outside the circle of human beings. It is the animal realm. The Buddha pointed out that this group is just living according to the animal kind of kamma. Those who understand right and wrong, good and evil, are humans. The Buddha taught his Dhamma for humans."
I think we shouldn't concern ourselves too much with the kamma of other beings.

best wishes, acinteyyo
I think you answer is good, the problem of concerning my own kamma is that I let something to be killed, even when I could prevent it. So it is partly my responsibility, and so on my kamma.

What do you think? Is this the kamma of the pet owner?
Please stop following me
Ben

Post by Ben »

The kamma of the pet owner is he intention of the pet owner.
Was it your intention that those animals were killed? If not, then you do not reap the fruits of your pets actions.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..