What were they thinking?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
cooran

What were they thinking?

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

What were they thinking? by Rita M. Gross
A Buddhist-feminist scholar responds to an all-male panel on the "risks and benefits" of opening Buddhist leadership to women
http://www.tricycle.com/blog/what-were-they-thinking

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
m0rl0ck

Re: What were they thinking?

Post by m0rl0ck »

Good for her. I remember thinking myself that the whole thing, at best, seemed like an exercise in irrelevance.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

m0rl0ck wrote:Good for her. I remember thinking myself that the whole thing, at best, seemed like an exercise in irrelevance.
Absolutely.

:namaste:
Kim
plwk

Post by plwk »

:popcorn:

Rita, We invited a number of women to contribute to the symposium, but they either didn't respond or declined to participate.
You were among those we invited to contribute. You didn't respond to the invitation.
In light of that fact, I'm quite puzzled that you're accusing us of "unbelievable levels of ignorance and arrogance."
We would love to add a contribution from you if you're willing.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

plwk wrote::popcorn:

Rita, We invited a number of women to contribute to the symposium, but they either didn't respond or declined to participate.
You were among those we invited to contribute. You didn't respond to the invitation.
In light of that fact, I'm quite puzzled that you're accusing us of "unbelievable levels of ignorance and arrogance."
You know if i had gotten that letter, and were female, idk if i would first wonder if it had gotten stuck in a time warp or if i were a canary invited to a conference of cats. :)
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello plwk,

Could you give a link to where this quote is from? - or specify, if there is no link.

With metta,
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
plwk

Post by plwk »

Chris, from the very link you gave us in the OP, comments section
cooran

Post by cooran »

plwk

Post by plwk »

:popcorn:

You know if i had gotten that letter, and were female, idk if i would first wonder if it had gotten stuck in a time warp or if i were a canary invited to a conference of cats. :)
Now imagine this sensei.. the late Baroness Thatcher when she was in her heyday having to deal with a Cabinet of sausage fest or Hillary Clinton & her colourful & power packed career with daunting men ... conference of cats?
They made them purr and sit like kitties... my own late maternal granny took no slack from the men in her life...
chownah

Post by chownah »

I'm trying to understand just exactly what happened. From what I gather there is a website called Patheos which made a call for papers on the topic of women in leadership roles in Buddhism with the intent of publishing them. It seems that there was no actual physical meeting with panelists meeting and discussing things face to face, just a bunch of papers published. It also appears that Patheos invited both men and women to contribute papers but no women submitted papers. Is this what happened? I went to the Patheos website but found it too cluttered for me to be able to find out in the limited time I have for this topic.....has anyone else looked there and found out if what I am assuming happened did or did not in fact happen the way I am imagining?
chownah
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Unbelievably and stupidly tone-deaf. Hold off until you get qualified women participants.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

plwk wrote:Hillary Clinton & her colourful & power packed career
Colorful indeed...

:mrgreen:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

chownah wrote:I'm trying to understand just exactly what happened. From what I gather there is a website called Patheos which made a call for papers on the topic of women in leadership roles in Buddhism with the intent of publishing them. It seems that there was no actual physical meeting with panelists meeting and discussing things face to face, just a bunch of papers published. It also appears that Patheos invited both men and women to contribute papers but no women submitted papers. Is this what happened? I went to the Patheos website but found it too cluttered for me to be able to find out in the limited time I have for this topic.....has anyone else looked there and found out if what I am assuming happened did or did not in fact happen the way I am imagining?
chownah
Maybe buddhasoup could help??? I see he was the first commentor.
If you post the links you used I'll try to find something but I am on my phone and find it tricky to use the internet.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
chownah

Post by chownah »

Cittasanto wrote:Maybe buddhasoup could help??? I see he was the first commentor.
If you post the links you used I'll try to find something but I am on my phone and find it tricky to use the internet.
www.patheos.com/
chownah
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Well I have to say the I find the whole notion of "leadership opportunities" odd in relation to Buddhism. What kind of leadership opportunities are we talking about?