Is it better to start working gradually or cold turkey?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
ninjbyte

Is it better to start working gradually or cold turkey?

Post by ninjbyte »

Sorry, this is my first post, and I'm not sure whether it belongs more in the Ethics section or here... But it's a pressing question for me, so please, I ask for your advice.

I'm a failing student. I want to change my life, and I've found the dharma. It makes so much sense to me. So now, I want to start following the path wholeheartedly. My question is: I have an enormous amount of irrational fear while I'm studying, or at least trying to - which is the reason I've been avoiding it all the time. I've been pathologically avoiding it for 2 years now. I'm basically trembling while I'm writing this. But I have faith that with committed action, new understanding, and stopping all this avoidance, I can start turning this around.

Is it better to trying to start studying gradually or fully? As in, should I aim to increase the amount of time I study a day (2 hours the first day, then 3 hours, 4 hours), or should I start straight out by studying 8 hours a day every day? Should I aim to feel as much discomfort as possible or practice right effort like in the Sona Sutta?

Please tell me what you think. I'd like to have instructions so I can at least put my mind to rest about them and not having to doubt them.

In case you think 8 is too much, I'm at my fourth year of medicine, and it's actually a moderate amount according to my friends.
TheNoBSBuddhist

Re: Is it better to start working gradually or cold turkey?

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

Hello, and welcome, here!

Pardon me if I am mistaken, but would I be right in thinking you have actually posted this on another forum?

(It could be someone else....)
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
ninjbyte

Post by ninjbyte »

Yes, on another forum I asked how to deal with my emotions. Now that question is solved. Now I'd want to answer a final question before practice... how long should I practice and how? Gradually or cold turkey?

Since a user on that board told me about this one, I thought about posting this question here, as he said that you guys were pure Theravada :)
Derek

Post by Derek »

ninjbyte wrote:I'm at my fourth year of medicine
You should definitely talk to Daniel Ingram, who shared that he also had tremendous aversion toward studying during medical school. Now he's fully qualified and is also the author of a meditation book, Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha. I believe meditation was part of what helped him get through school.
TheNoBSBuddhist

That was kind of them.
I would definitely say I am Theravada.

But the 'pure' is highly questionable....! :tongue:

It depends on realistically what you believe you can do.

For example, a person might say "I am going to lose 2 stone, and become as fit as I can!"

Another might say "I want to lose 3lbs a week, and become as fit as I can!"

They want the same things, but one prefers to look at the whole challenge and go for it, the other wants to do it in manageable goals....

If you have a fear of doing something, psychologists (AFAIK) say that the best way to to overcome your fear is gradual exposure to what scares you.

For example, I have a needle phobia. So, acclimatising me to conquering and controlling my fear, was a gradual and slow exposure to aspects of syringes, that scared me.
Eventually, we were able to (if you will forgive the pun) pinpoint precisely what it was about syringes that scared me.

It was the actual instant of the needle penetrating the skin, and causing pain...

The interesting thing is, that the fear has never left me; however, it does not control me, I control it.

If ever it happens that I need an injection now, there is a precise procedure, a ritual if you like, that I must go through to be completely relaxed and 'accepting' of the injection. So far, every single medical professional I have encountered, has always been sympathetic, understanding and completely co-operative.

So my suggestion to you would be to start small, and give yourself a definite goal; and also, remember to reward yourself.

Ridiculous as it sounds, have something good 'waiting for you' at the end of each episode of studying.
Make it worth your while.

"Right - I am going to study from 'now' until XX o'clock. When I finish, I'm going to....."

And gradually, increase your time, but not so that it triggers a feeling of apprehension. Even if you increase gradually, by only 15-minute increments, you are still working towards studying well, and efficiently.
Last edited by TheNoBSBuddhist on Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
ninjbyte

Post by ninjbyte »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:That was kind of them.
I would definitely say I am Theravada.

But the 'pure' is highly questionable....! :tongue:

It depends on realistically what you believe you can do.

For example, a person might say "I am going to lose 2 stone, and become as fit as I can!"

Another might say "I want to lose 3lbs a week, and become as fit as I can!"

They want the same things, but one prefers to look at the whole challenge and go for it, the other wants to do it in manageable goals....

If you have a fear of doing something, psychologists (AFAIK) say that the best way to to overcome your fear is gradual exposure to what scares you.

For example, I have a needle phobia. So, acclimatising me to conquering and controlling my fear, was a gradual and slow exposure to aspects of syringes, that scared me.
Eventually, we were able to (if you will forgive the pun) pinpoint precisely what it was about syringes that scared me.
The interesting thing is, that the fear has never left me; however, it does not control me, I control it.

If ever it happens that I need an injection now, there is a precise procedure, a ritual if you like, that I must go through to be completely relaxed and 'accepting' of the injection. So far, every single medical professional I have encountered, has always been sympathetic, understanding and completely co-operative.

So my suggestion to you would be to start small, and give yourself a definite goal; and also, remember to reward yourself.

Ridiculous as it sounds, have something good 'waiting for you' at the end of each episode of studying.
Make it worth your while.

"Right - I am going to study from 'now' until XX o'clock. When I finish, I'm going to....."

And gradually, increase your time, but not so that it triggers a feeling of apprehension. Even if you increase gradually, by only 15-minute increments, you are still working towards studying well, and efficiently.
It was the actual instant of the needle penetrating the skin, and causing pain...

This was the kind of answer I was looking for... So it isn't unskillful to approach it gradually! :bow: But also...
Derek wrote:
ninjbyte wrote:I'm at my fourth year of medicine
You should definitely talk to Daniel Ingram, who shared that he also had tremendous aversion toward studying during medical school. Now he's fully qualified and is also the author of a meditation book, Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha. I believe meditation was part of what helped him get through school.
This is very, very, very interesting to me. Does he reply on his board? Could you remember where he has written or said such a thing? Since his experience is so specific to mine, I'd really like to know how he approached the problem.
TheNoBSBuddhist

Just to clarify:
The last line in my post you quoted, ninjbyte, actually 'jumped' out of place while I posted. (No, I don't know how either!)

I replaced it in the correct position in my original post. (Thank goodness for the 'EDIT' button!)

Derek

Post by Derek »

I don't remember where it was he told his story, but here's a little snippet from his website:
"I have also found that I can use resolutions in my daily life to good effect. For instance, when studying for a medical school exam, I might resolve, "For this hour, I will study this hematology syllabus so that I will increase my knowledge and skill as an aspiring doctor and thus be less likely to kill patients and more likely to help them."
That's from http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/gue ... TB+Resolve

You can talk to Daniel on the "Discussion" section of the above website.
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:Hello, and welcome, here!

Pardon me if I am mistaken, but would I be right in thinking you have actually posted this on another forum?

(It could be someone else....)
I can think of three recent examples of you, no BS, posting the same topic on two different forums.......
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
ninjbyte

Post by ninjbyte »

Thank you all for your answers! I will start to practice accordingly, and try to also ask David for advice. :bow:
Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder »

ninjbyte wrote:Thank you all for your answers! I will start to practice accordingly, and try to also ask David for advice. :bow:

From reading your posts my assumption is that you are asking about studying Buddhism and not about studying medicine.

One thing that needs to be clarified is that Buddhism requires practice along with study, much like you must apply what you learn in medicine in order to come to a complete understanding of what you learn in texts. Otherwise, I agree with what has already been said: It is your practice, take it at whatever speed is most beneficial for you.

_/\_Ron
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
TheNoBSBuddhist

No, I think he is asking about his actual studies in medicine.
According to a thread he posted on another forum, this is a real stumbling block for him.

ninjbyte

Post by ninjbyte »

Ron-The-Elder wrote:
ninjbyte wrote:Thank you all for your answers! I will start to practice accordingly, and try to also ask David for advice. :bow:

From reading your posts my assumption is that you are asking about studying Buddhism and not about studying medicine.

One thing that needs to be clarified is that Buddhism requires practice along with study, much like you must apply what you learn in medicine in order to come to a complete understanding of what you learn in texts. Otherwise, I agree with what has already been said: It is your practice, take it at whatever speed is most beneficial for you.

_/\_Ron
I'm sorry I haven't been clear. As TheNoBSBuddhist said, my questions were about my studies in medicine. I want to apply myself and resolve this problem once and for all, without hurting anyone with my negligence.
Derek

Post by Derek »

ninjbyte wrote:try to also ask David for advice. :bow:
His name is Daniel. He's really hardcore. Makes NoBSBuddhist seem like a wimp ;)
TheNoBSBuddhist

Oh really....?!? :twisted: :guns:

:embarassed:

(I might look him up meself ack-tcherly.... :D )