failing to meditate at home retreat

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Sokehi

Re: failing to meditate at home retreat

Post by Sokehi »

Just saying I'm sorry for your loss as well and will include this into my tonights metta meditation :anjali:
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

purple planet wrote:I am trying to do a home retreat (talking to a teacher on the phone) - i can manage with the no eating -sleeping 6 hours - no music ect by will force
but i fail some times to manage to sit throw a meditation sitting -

what is the best thing to do once i cant keep meditating - i always get very tired when i give up on the meditation

until i found a better way i decided that instead of eating or watching videos whenever i fail to meditate i will just continue the retreat as usual i will just sleep whenever i feel i cant continue until i have the power to meditate again

does anybody have a better idea of what to do when i dont fell like i can continue to meditate ?
Pretend like you are at a retreat at an actual temple. You aren't allowed to just get up and walk out of the meditation hall whenever you want. You have a schedule and you keep the schedule. I find solo retreats do require much more effort and discipline than is required at a temple retreat. That is precisely why solo retreats are such good practice! As I see it, it's just a matter of discipline.

If the retreat schedule calls for you to sit for this long in the morning, etc. That is what you do. It doesn't matter what you want to do or don't want to do. That is what you do, period. That is how I structure my solo retreats. It does take discipline.

:anjali:
Kamran

Post by Kamran »

I would listen to motivational dhamma talks like those of Thanissaro Bikhu. He gives a 15 min pep talk to the monks at his monastery before the evening meditation. They are available at dhammatalks.org.

Note that even for the monks at Thanissaro's monastery effort is required keep them motivated.