Buddha talked to Acharn Mun?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
greenjuice

Buddha talked to Acharn Mun?

Postby greenjuice » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:43 am

Mkoll

Re: Buddha talked to Acharn Mun?

Postby Mkoll » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:58 am

In Ven. Mun's biography written by Ven. Bua, there are all sorts of interesting stories about Ven. Mun being visited by devas, Buddhas, arahants, etc. It's available for free download . It's worth the read just to learn about the incredible determination of monks like Ajahn Mun, really awe-inspiring.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Sokehi

Postby Sokehi » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:24 am

I've read this book only halfways but instead of encouragement for practice out of it I was disheartened by all these visits of Devas and superworldly stuff like that. I'm not saying I don't believe in it or that I believe in it... it just doesn't matter to me at all. I just found as much as helpful to my practice as discussions about the end of the universe or the recent soccer results.
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

Dhammanando

Postby Dhammanando » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:13 am

Sokehi

Postby Sokehi » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:17 am

:goodpost:
Dear Bhante it amazes me how rapidly you produce so very often some well fitting sutta quotes, thank you!

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

kirk5a

Postby kirk5a » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:55 pm

Well I had a dream where I spoke briefly with the Buddha and observed him in action. Now if that doesn't seem like a mind-blowing, Dhamma-shattering occurance (that was just a dream, we might suppose, anything can happen in a dream), why should it be so outrageous that Ajahn Mun had a conversation with the Buddha in a meditative state of some sort? We might say "well that's just the imaginings of one's own mind then, that's all... " or we might think there is a bit more to it than that. Either way, there's the question of whether it imparted something valuable that you did not know before.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

Dhammanando

Postby Dhammanando » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:31 pm

Sokehi

Postby Sokehi » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:36 pm

"Like the cardinal with his ‘special revelations’, Ajahn Maha Bua could justify virtually anything simply by claiming that it had been directly revealed to Ajahn Mun by the Buddha himself."

This ! attitude or social mechanism within religious organisations has sometimes caused a lot of trouble let alone cruelty - a greater being said this to me therefore I'm allowed to do this. That is exactly why I stopped reading these biograhies or basically every bio that I came across in the past years that are so very popular in Thailand.

kirk5a

Postby kirk5a » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:44 pm

"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

rohana

Postby rohana » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:20 pm

"Delighting in existence, O monks, are gods and men; they are attached to existence, they revel in existence. When the Dhamma for the cessation of existence is being preached to them, their minds do not leap towards it, do not get pleased with it, do not get settled in it, do not find confidence in it. That is how, monks, some lag behind."
- It. p 43

robertk

Postby robertk » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:15 pm

robertk

Postby robertk » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:16 pm

robertk

Postby robertk » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:25 pm

I always wondered how the ven. acharn could be taken seriously but try giving even a slight criticism of maha bua (let alone Ajarn Mun)to thai people and they will be shocked. They really have this devotee mindset to famous monks:dis the Tipitika if you like, but never our big monks.
the Burmese will get upset about both.

Mkoll

Postby Mkoll » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:03 am

Very interesting, thanks robertk.

From reading Ajahn Bua's biography of Ajahn Mun, one clearly gets the impression, and the admission by Ven. Bua himself, that he was a fiery character, to say the least. I've rarely seen so much self-deprecation in any work. Maybe it's a cultural thing?

Regardless of whether Ajahn Mun was an arahant or deluded or whatever, I still admire the intensity with which he trained himself, even if only half of those anecdotes were true.

:anjali:

robertk

Postby robertk » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:47 am

yes he lived an austere life and respected the Vinaya (although enjoyed smoking ).

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:36 am

robertk

Postby robertk » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:59 am

do you have the citations where the other followers of Mun disagreed with Mahabua. i would appreciate having those.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:18 am

Jon. S

Postby Jon. S » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:18 am

In Maha Boowa's biography, Samana, he also talks in-detail about his enlightenment.. I've always been kind of confused about that point. Aren't bhikkhus prohibited from speaking of attainments?
I was born naked.
My beloved parents
kindly gave me a name.
When I reached twenty
I thought "a name is a chain,
I want to abandon it".
Whoever I questioned
No one answers me.
When I hear the wind in the pines
I get an answer.

rohana

Postby rohana » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:20 am

"Delighting in existence, O monks, are gods and men; they are attached to existence, they revel in existence. When the Dhamma for the cessation of existence is being preached to them, their minds do not leap towards it, do not get pleased with it, do not get settled in it, do not find confidence in it. That is how, monks, some lag behind."
- It. p 43

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”