Dhamma Ending Age

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Ceisiwr

Re: Dhamma Ending Age

Post by Ceisiwr »

Will wrote:Whether 'wrong View Dhamma' or 'counterfeit Dhamma' or Dhamma lite - it is all rooted in Wrong View. And as fundamentalist as it may appear, there is only 'one valid interpretation' - that of Buddha.

See this old thread on Wrong View: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16691

He also said in A 1 (sutta 318) that 'There is nothing worse than wrong view'.

Isnt it better translated as "skilful view"

That is, which is more skiful at leading to letting go?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
oceanfloor

Post by oceanfloor »

Arjan Dirkse wrote:If getting rid of superstitious trappings you don't believe in, while embracing a Buddhist practice you feel is helpful and beneficial to yourself and others, is a sign of the dhamma ending age, then please let the dhamma end today. :tongue:

We get terribly hung up on definitions and doctrinal delineations on forums such as these. But Buddhism is spreading, is thriving, and it's definitely a force for good. If the interest of its followers is more about achieving happiness and doing good things, like safeguarding the environment, or helping people in difficult circumstances, fighting inequality or exploitation etc, than in "keeping the faith pure", then that is only a good thing.
The Dhamma is not ended yet. It is degrading until no one knows the true Dhamma.
Actual signs of Dhamma ending age:
- lesser and lesser people refer to sutta
- more and more people cannot differentiate between true Dhamma and counterfeit Dhamma
- counterfeit Dhamma gains more popularity, such as in the west
- abbot of Buddhist temple watches NBA playoff in his room

It is indeed Dhamma ending age. Learn diligently while there is time.

:anjali:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

clw_uk wrote:
Will wrote:Whether 'wrong View Dhamma' or 'counterfeit Dhamma' or Dhamma lite - it is all rooted in Wrong View. And as fundamentalist as it may appear, there is only 'one valid interpretation' - that of Buddha.

See this old thread on Wrong View: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16691

I think that's the point that Will is making. If some interpretations are more or less effective/valid/wrong/skilful than others then it is actutally important to identify which is which.

I don't think anyone here woud disagree that if someone was under the misapperehension that it is possible to effectively practice while killing, stealing, etc, etc, we'd be doing them a favour by telling them (politely) that they were deluded. We wouldn't be saying: "Oh, you need to be kind to him, and let him think whatever he wants to...".

We have less consensus on whether some modern developments ("Dhamma Lite" if you like) are actually ineffective but it's obviously a question worth exploring.

Mike
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Regarding degeneration of the Dhamma:

The first time I read this sutta about 3 or 4 years ago, tears began streaming down my cheeks, because at that time, I felt that it had already started happening a long time ago, especially this part: "But they will listen when discourses that are literary works — the works of poets, elegant in sound, elegant in rhetoric...."

SN 20.7 Ani Sutta: The Peg

Staying at Savatthi. "Monks, there once was a time when the Dasarahas had a large drum called 'Summoner.' Whenever Summoner was split, the Dasarahas inserted another peg in it, until the time came when Summoner's original wooden body had disappeared and only a conglomeration of pegs remained.

"In the same way, in the course of the future there will be monks who won't listen when discourses that are words of the Tathagata — deep, deep in their meaning, transcendent, connected with emptiness — are being recited. They won't lend ear, won't set their hearts on knowing them, won't regard these teachings as worth grasping or mastering. But they will listen when discourses that are literary works — the works of poets, elegant in sound, elegant in rhetoric, the work of outsiders, words of disciples — are recited. They will lend ear and set their hearts on knowing them. They will regard these teachings as worth grasping & mastering.

"In this way the disappearance of the discourses that are words of the Tathagata — deep, deep in their meaning, transcendent, connected with emptiness — will come about.

"Thus you should train yourselves: 'We will listen when discourses that are words of the Tathagata — deep, deep in their meaning, transcendent, connected with emptiness — are being recited. We will lend ear, will set our hearts on knowing them, will regard these teachings as worth grasping & mastering.' That's how you should train yourselves."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Arjan Dirkse

Post by Arjan Dirkse »

mikenz66 wrote:
clw_uk wrote:

I think that's the point that Will is making. If some interpretations are more or less effective/valid/wrong/skilful than others then it is actutally important to identify which is which.

I don't think anyone here woud disagree that if someone was under the misapperehension that it is possible to effectively practice while killing, stealing, etc, etc, we'd be doing them a favour by telling them (politely) that they were deluded. We wouldn't be saying: "Oh, you need to be kind to him, and let him think whatever he wants to...".

We have less consensus on whether some modern developments ("Dhamma Lite" if you like) are actually ineffective but it's obviously a question worth exploring.

Mike
True...but some tact is called for. When everybody just starts quoting scripture to prove that everyone else is wrong, you can't really have a fruitful discussion anymore.

Pointing out wrong view is great in a teacher - student relation, or for an individual to apply to him or herself. When people of different convictions start using it to discredit alternative viewpoints, that is just unhelpful and unpleasant.

As to the whole "dhamma lite" thing - I have no doubt it is just the same as has always been the case. Right after the Buddha died, different groups started popping up all over the place. Sthaviravadins, Mahasamghika, Dharmaguptakas, Sarvastivadins, Sautantrika, and then of course all the widely different Mahayana schools. I bet the "wrong view" accusation has been used a lot of times in heated debates even back then, and the "dhamma ending age" argument likewise..."Your beliefs are different than mine, therefore the dhamma ending age is here!"
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Arjan Dirkse wrote:

Pointing out wrong view is great in a teacher - student relation, or for an individual to apply to him or herself. When people of different convictions start using it to discredit alternative viewpoints, that is just unhelpful and unpleasant.

As to the whole "dhamma lite" thing - I have no doubt it is just the same as has always been the case. Right after the Buddha died, different groups started popping up all over the place. Sthaviravadins, Mahasamghika, Dharmaguptakas, Sarvastivadins, Sautantrika, and then of course all the widely different Mahayana schools. I bet the "wrong view" accusation has been used a lot of times in heated debates even back then, and the "dhamma ending age" argument likewise..."Your beliefs are different than mine, therefore the dhamma ending age is here!"

:goodpost:
Digity

Post by Digity »

The end of the Dhamma is ultimately in our hands. The teachings are kept alive through us so ultimately if the Dhamma comes to an end it will be through our own lack of dedication to the true teachings. If you want to keep the Dhamma alive then keep up with the practice and further develop your wisdom.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Arjan Dirkse wrote: True...but some tact is called for. When everybody just starts quoting scripture to prove that everyone else is wrong, you can't really have a fruitful discussion anymore.

I certainly agree with that. However, as I said, not every point of view is necessarily useful. It does seem to me that some of the modern secular/Dhamma Lite/etc approaches risk losing important aspects of Dhamma. Putting some aspects aside "for now" is quite different from arguing that they have no significance. And that is what one sometimes sees: wholesale dismissal of some aspects of the Dhamma with pejoratives such as "cultural baggage".

Mike
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Morphing Monasteries: Commercial Buddhism in Thailand

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
binocular

Post by binocular »

mikenz66 wrote:We have less consensus on whether some modern developments ("Dhamma Lite" if you like) are actually ineffective but it's obviously a question worth exploring.
Of course they are effective. The only question is toward what goal.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!