YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Saftey questions for visiting Burma (myanmar) - Dhamma Wheel

Saftey questions for visiting Burma (myanmar)

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Mr.SeanStewart

Saftey questions for visiting Burma (myanmar)

Postby Mr.SeanStewart » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:28 pm

Hey Dhama Family,

I am planning to visit burma this week and i have been reading about the political situation and the corruptions in burma which is making me feel a bit uneasy, i have couple of questions coming up...

First, I was born in Iran originally and have canadian citizenship but in my passport says i was born in Tehran, Iran, so I just like to make sure im safe going to burma, though im not muslim nor have any involvement/interest in any type of politics( I will find out tomorrow if i even get my meditation visa successfuly)

2nd concern, is regarding my Visa: I have applied for my meditation visa, chanmyay school has been kind enough to sponsor me and i am suppose to pick up my visa tomorrow at 3:30pm.

However im planning to visit few different schools of meditation including pau-auk school and also visit the city area as a tourist. I told this to the lady working at the counter in Burma Embasy in thailand when i was getting my meditation visa, and She said that i can still travel around with my meditation visa, I want to make sure that this is true and im allowed to do this? I want to get more awareness around this subject to make sure i dont get in any trouble by their authorities,

What are the rules on my meditation visa? ideally i would want to study with different teachers for at least few days/ weeks before I staying long term with them.

Thank you for all your support i really appreciate it

Ben

Re: Saftey questions for visiting Burma (myanmar)

Postby Ben » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:28 pm

When I went to Myanmar several years ago I went on a meditation visa.
You will be fine travelling around. There are some rules regarding the meditation visa. The most important one is to not get involved in any politics and to abide by the laws of Myanmar.
The fact that you were born in Tehran and are a Canadian citizen is irrelevant. You will be fine.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:04 am

• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Mr.SeanStewart

Postby Mr.SeanStewart » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:24 am

Last edited by Mr.SeanStewart on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.SeanStewart

Postby Mr.SeanStewart » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:28 am

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:07 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:37 am

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Mr.SeanStewart

Postby Mr.SeanStewart » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

Thanks Ben, I think its a bit late for that now, iv already got my visa and flight booked tomorrow.

I have emailed my sponsor and let him know about my plans and asked him for his suggestion, well see what happends :)

thanks again

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:22 am

All the best, Sean.

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:00 pm

A question for those who keep tabs on Burmese issues. I would have thought the visa difficulties would have eased up since the political situation has improved? Are the changes in the government only on the surface or has meaningful change been established?

All the best for your travels btw Sean.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

Mr.SeanStewart

Postby Mr.SeanStewart » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:57 am

quick update for any one who cares, iv arrived in yangon for a few days, no problem, they seem to be super cool, not many tourists here but i feel safe.

Tonight im traveling to Pa-Auk forest and staying there for a while before i come back up north to attend mahasi school for a month or so.

Thanks again for all your support talk soon

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”