Bad thoughts = Bad Karma?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
ground

Re: Bad thoughts = Bad Karma?

Post by ground »

Digity wrote:Sometimes something is on my mind that's really bothering me. It's usually has something to do with the way someone acted, which I disapproved of. Often times when I tell other people what happened thye agree that the person was wrong and it was stupid, etc. In these cases I often start having a lot of bad thoughts about the person thinking that they're stupid idiots, etc, etc, etc. I don't want to have these thoughts...I want to be more peaceful, but I can't control it or at least I currently can't control it. I kind of let my mind spew a lot of venom, but I know in the back of my mind it's not right or inline with the Dhamma. Am I creating a lot of negative karma here? I wasn't sure, because it's not like I'm fully intended to be mean towards these people...these thoughts and urges just arise. My intention is to not be this way, but I don't feel like I can control what's arising in the moment. Any advice on how to deal with this more wisely?
Try to focus on things that foster your self-confidence. If you are content and satisfied with yourself your negative thinking about others will diminish because the source is a sense of inferiority. :sage:
Digity

Post by Digity »

You know what...I realized 90% of the crap I worry about or am angry about is kind of stupid. I live in a privileged part of the world, have a good life and I spend my time mulling over what so-and-so said. I think I need to stop focusing my attention on these stupid issues and put my focus in a better place. :alien:
ground

Post by ground »

Digity wrote:... I live in a privileged part of the world, have a good life and I spend my time mulling over what so-and-so said. ...
Yeah, that's the reason for buddhism in a privileged part of the world too. :sage:
Digity

Post by Digity »

I'm going to make an effort to complain less. It'll be part of my practice. Most people who live in a first world country have it well and need to shut up about their problems. There's people who are far worse off out there.
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Strengthening one's metta practice would be a strong catalyst for positive change in this case.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
waimengwan

Post by waimengwan »

Whenever unwholesome thoughts arise, we should dispel them by wise reflection on the evil consequences of such thoughts, use bare attention to contemplate their three characteristics, or forcefully suppress them if necessary.
Thank you Bhikkhu Pesala for sharing, what are the three characteristics ? And if we suppress these thoughts won't it come back to bit us again, usually things that are suppressed works that way. Or we have to suppress until we find the right remedy / antidote. Please share thanks.
taintless

Post by taintless »

My friend,

Bad intention, is bad karma.

Not bad thoughts.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

waimengwan wrote:Thank you Bhikkhu Pesala for sharing, what are the three characteristics ? And if we suppress these thoughts won't it come back to bite us again, usually things that are suppressed work that way. Or we have to suppress until we find the right remedy / antidote. Please share thanks.
The three characteristics are impermanence (anicca), suffering (dukkha), and not-self (anattā).

See the Sabbāsava Sutta on the Āsavas that should be removed through rejection (= suppression). As long as the unwholesome roots are not destroyed by insight, unwholesome thoughts rooted in ill-will or lust may arise when conditions so conspire. Whenever they do arise they should be rejected, otherwise, we will follow them and the latent tendency to lust and ill-will will get strengthened. Could anyone observe the five precepts without suppressing the intention to do wrong? If one never had the slightest intention to break any of the five precepts, then one would already be a Stream-winner, for whom observing the five precepts is natural and stable morality.

It is the intention that characterises a thought as good or bad. Bad thoughts such as, "I want to seduce that man's wife," "I want to kill that man," "I don't believe there is any result of merely thinking bad thoughts," are the unwholesome thoughts of covetousness, ill-will, and wrong view.

Can anyone be content if they covet things that they don't own, or have to meet with people they cannot stand?
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Digity

Post by Digity »

taintless wrote:My friend,

Bad intention, is bad karma.

Not bad thoughts.
Yes, but if bad thoughts are a symptom of bad intentions then having bad thoughts could be an indication of underlying bad intentions.