School teacher -- a good career choice for a layperson?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
pascal

School teacher -- a good career choice for a layperson?

Post by pascal »

Hi,

do you think becoming a school teacher would be a good career choice for a lay Buddhist practitioner? I'm currently considering this (even though the option to ordain as a monk is also on my table), and I'd like to know if there are any serious downsides to it, from your perspective.

pascal
Cittasanto

Re: School teacher -- a good career choice for a layperson?

Post by Cittasanto »

pascal wrote:Hi,

do you think becoming a school teacher would be a good career choice for a lay Buddhist practitioner? I'm currently considering this (even though the option to ordain as a monk is also on my table), and I'd like to know if there are any serious downsides to it, from your perspective.

pascal
It is not wrong livelihood so it is a fine career choice. although i would imagine it would be stressful, hopefully a member who is a teacher would be able to answer more specific issues the job has.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Teaching elementary school children for a year cured me both of my desire to be a teacher, and also of my desire to have children of my own.
But it's pretty wholesome as careers go, just about as maximally wholesome as can be, if you are a good person.
I can't think of any downsides. Apart from having to be around children all the time.
The pay for the first few years is pretty small, but sufficient if you are frugal. Lots of holidays.
But you do more work than you are actually paid for during term time.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

pascal wrote:Hi,

pascal
Hi pascal,

I'm a fully qualified secondary school teacher ( ages 11 to 18) and I think its a good career choice if you are prepared to work longer hours than the job description, deliver interesting lessons, be dedicated to the well-being of your students and be able to let it all go in your free time!

with kind wishes,

Aloka
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

And you have to accept that there is a lot about "teaching" that is beyond your control, decisions made by school administrators or state or national legislation that seems harmful to students. You, as a representative of the school system, have to accept these policies even if you believe them to be harmful.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
David2

Post by David2 »

I think there are two kinds of people:

One kind of people prefer to work with children, the other kind of people prefer to work with adults.

If you think that you are one of the first kind of people, then working as a school teacher is probably a good choice. :smile:
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

I'm a teacher. There are no downsides.
badscooter

Post by badscooter »

Im a teacher... There are downsides.. teaching can come with a lot of stress... Both from the students and administration. The subject your teaching and grade have a lot to do with how many downsides there are.... Teachers in New Jersey are slowly being forced to teach a certain kind of way only... No more creativity or subjectivity will be aloud... And you have to discipline!!! So if you dont want to get upset and deal with disciplinary issues at least once a day, then I would stay away from teaching.... Its definitely a challenge to you practice.

may all be well
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Billymac29 wrote:Im a teacher... The subject your teaching
*you're

:stirthepot:

:heart:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

daverupa wrote:
*you're

is that revenge for all those boring lessons from your school days? :tongue:
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Cittasanto wrote:
daverupa wrote:
*you're

is that revenge for all those boring lessons from your school days? :tongue:
Probably not. Probably the result of a teacher's compulsive urge to correct people - I suffer from it, too.

More seriously, I agree with all those people who said it's right up near the top of the 'right livelihood' table, along with the other helping professions - medicine, social work, etc.
The bureaucratic rubbish is generally no worse than you would get in other jobs.
How enjoyable or stressful it is depends partly on you and to an even greater extent on where, what and who you end up teaching. The gap between the poorest schools and the richest is huge - resources and (just as importantly) parental support. The differences between young and older students are important, too: younger kids are (generally) nicer to work with but require more patience, while teenagers are ... teenagers :tongue:

:namaste:
Kim
badscooter

Post by badscooter »

daverupa wrote:
*you're

lol..... I'm a high school math teacher.... but thanks for the correction..
;)
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Billymac29 wrote:
daverupa wrote:
*you're

lol..... I'm a high school math teacher.... but thanks for the correction..
;)
In the UK all teachers must be 'teachers of literacy', even at its most basic level, regardless of their subject. I'm physics teacher.

I disagree with you about the stress: choose not to be stressed. You're there for the children, not the governors.

I disagree with you about the behaviour problems: children will get away with what they are allowed (not 'aloud', as in your post) to get away with. In my - admittedly short - career so far, I've never had significant behaviour problems even though my colleagues have. Why? I have to assume it is because the children don't want to misbehave; either because they love physics so much (unlikely), or because they enjoy the lessons so much, or because they understand that even the most minor of misdemeanors will not be tolerated by me.

I've heard teachers complain about having to work throughout their own time. My response is, manage your time better. I never work at weekends or in the evenings after 4pm (unless there is a parent consultation evening at school, seven per year).

I've heard teachers complain that the pay is poor. How much do you really need to earn? I have a nice house, run two cars, eat well and generally don't think about money. When I need it, it's there. (My wife and I are both physics teachers).

Thirteen weeks of holiday (or 'vacation' if you're American, I think) per year. How much more free time do you need?

The best part is, I've never laughed so much as when I've been teaching. Children are brilliantly funny, insightfully clever, as quick witted as any stand up comedian you'd pay to meet.

Purely selfishly, teaching is a great career choice. The fact that you are working to help young people make a decent life for themselves and, hence, generating merit is a subsidiary bonus.

I never wanted to be a teacher, but causality lead me here. How glad I am that my kamma bore such beautiful fruit! Teachers need to stop complaining about their jobs.

Work night shifts at McDonalds. I did. Then you'll understand.
badscooter

Post by badscooter »

In the UK all teachers must be 'teachers of literacy', even at its most basic level, regardless of their subject. I'm physics teacher.
*(you're) a physics teacher
I disagree with you about the stress: choose not to be stressed. You're there for the children, not the governors.

I disagree with you about the behaviour problems: children will get away with what they are allowed (not 'aloud', as in your post) to get away with. In my - admittedly short - career so far, I've never had significant behaviour problems even though my colleagues have. Why? I have to assume it is because the children don't want to misbehave; either because they love physics so much (unlikely), or because they enjoy the lessons so much, or because they understand that even the most minor of misdemeanors will not be tolerated by me.
This type of talk is purely judgemental. I was speaking of my experience of which you know nothing of.. Have you ever taught at risk youths? Children with behavior problems? Children who have been kicked out of mainstream school because of behavior issues?

You teach PHYSICS! Oh what joy I would have to teach physics in my new school.. Totally different type of students in those classes.

Like I said earlier. It all depends on what you teach, who you teach, and where you teach.

You can only speak of your experience. Please don't try and judge me on mine.
thank you

:)
badscooter

Post by badscooter »

Thirteen weeks of holiday (or 'vacation' if you're American, I think) per year.
this is incorrect