best suttas to memorize? techniques?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Cittasanto

Re: best suttas to memorize? techniques?

Post by Cittasanto »

alan... wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:
alan... wrote:i think this question could be a headline for this entire forum sometimes :tongue: just kidding. but i do agree with you on this particular thread sir.
sometimes it is useful others it is pointless.
but to get back on topic.
I like Dmytros suggestion. but put on your list Mangala sutta & Karaniya metta sutta. both worth having in the toolbox.
i especially like the metta sutta as it is very short and straight to the point, no intro or outro, just practical advice. good suggestion. i'll have to look into the mangala sutta, not familiar with it.

EDIT: the mangala sutta is beautiful. made my heart all gushy, cuts straight to the core. thanks.
I think in practical terms these two are hard to beat no matter the length. but the Dhammacakkhapavatena sutta is supremely useful.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
equilibrium

Post by equilibrium »

There is a saying: One cannot SEE beyond what one CANNOT understand!

The water in the fish tank appears to be muddy, it is best to let the water rest so we can "SEE" better.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

equilibrium wrote:There is a saying: One cannot SEE beyond what one CANNOT understand!

The water in the fish tank appears to be muddy, it is best to let the water rest so we can "SEE" better.
And so you accurately characterize your criticism. Very perceptive on your part.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
vitellius

Post by vitellius »

alan... wrote:i'm working on memorizing satipatthana right now. this one is very inclusive.
The most inclusive one is the Sangiti Sutta (DN33).
mirco

Post by mirco »

alan... wrote:i'm working on memorizing satipatthana right now. this one is very inclusive. are there any others that would be good?
Chachakka Sutta
(M148)

This one, besides M146 & M147, is to assist with the realization of "anatta".
But complete versions only. For your own good don't use abridgements.
Very powerful.

:-)
alan...

Post by alan... »

Cittasanto wrote: I think in practical terms these two are hard to beat no matter the length. but the Dhammacakkhapavatena sutta is supremely useful.
yeah see i love this sutta and it's on my list but it's not got a lot of advice directly explaining practice. it's certainly a sutta that includes information i would want memorized though after i memorize satipatthana.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Don't forget as part of your practice of memorization that you write out by hand what you have memorized.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
alan...

Post by alan... »

Oleksandr wrote:
alan... wrote:i'm working on memorizing satipatthana right now. this one is very inclusive.
The most inclusive one is the Sangiti Sutta (DN33).

WHAT???? how have i never read this one before? all inclusive is putting it lightly!!! wow.
alan...

Post by alan... »

tiltbillings wrote:Don't forget as part of your practice of memorization that you write out by hand what you have memorized.
i did this at first but once i got to page three it became to much. didn't people originally memorize them and not write them down at all?
alan...

Post by alan... »

mirco wrote:
alan... wrote:i'm working on memorizing satipatthana right now. this one is very inclusive. are there any others that would be good?
Chachakka Sutta
(M148)

This one, besides M146 & M147, is to assist with the realization of "anatta".
But complete versions only. For your own good don't use abridgements.
Very powerful.

:-)
thanks i will be reading these soon.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan... wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Don't forget as part of your practice of memorization that you write out by hand what you have memorized.
i did this at first but once i got to page three it became to much. didn't people originally memorize them and not write them down at all?
The writing is an obviously physical activity, which adds to the solidity of what you memorized. I not suggesting that you write it every time you recite it, but the writing is a discipline that is worth doing, if not just for cultivating patience alone.

alan...

Post by alan... »

tiltbillings wrote:
alan... wrote:
The writing is a obviously physical activity, which adds to the solidity of what you memorized. I not suggesting that you write it every time you recite it, but the writing is a discipline that is worth doing, if not just for cultivating patience alone.
you're very right. my speed of memorization dropped sharply when i stopped writing it, i just can't find the time or paper to write a fifteen page sutta...
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

alan... wrote:
Cittasanto wrote: I think in practical terms these two are hard to beat no matter the length. but the Dhammacakkhapavatena sutta is supremely useful.
yeah see i love this sutta and it's on my list but it's not got a lot of advice directly explaining practice. it's certainly a sutta that includes information i would want memorized though after i memorize satipatthana.
does a map directly explain or point in the direction?
the Dhammacakkha Sutta is telling us far more that you may think as it is what some would call a wisdom text.

So try really reading it.

And tilts advise to write it down is excellent.
you could use spare pieces of paper or specially bought pieces & then bind them yourself later.

Here are some of my scribbles
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
vitellius

Post by vitellius »

alan... wrote:
Oleksandr wrote:The most inclusive one is the Sangiti Sutta (DN33).
WHAT???? how have i never read this one before? all inclusive is putting it lightly!!! wow.
I'm glad that it was useful.

Well, this one is just not a part of the set of suttas that are popular in the West at the moment. That's how, I believe :)
befriend

Post by befriend »

i think an important topic for sutta memorization is non anger. dont know the name but its like when one flares up at someone who is angry matters get worse, when one does not flare up one wins a battle hard to win, theres more to it, its only like a short paragraph long but good to keep in mind. metta, befriend
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.