Am I a Buddhist

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
edwhys211

Am I a Buddhist

Post by edwhys211 »

Hi, I was raised Christian but it never made much sense to me and I gave up my religion. Anyway, I have been looking into Buddhism for awhile, and I follow the teachings of The Buddha, such as the eight fold path and five precepts, and I am open to the idea of karma and reincarnation.

So here is the man part of my question: Some people say in order to consider yourself a Buddhist, you have to fully accept everything in the religion, and some say you are a Buddhist as soon as you start the path by following the Buddha's teachings, and growing and learning through life. Which one is right?

Thanks
tiltbillings

Re: Am I a Buddhist

Post by tiltbillings »

edwhys211 wrote:Hi, I was raised Christian but it never made much sense to me and I gave up my religion. Anyway, I have been looking into Buddhism for awhile, and I follow the teachings of The Buddha, such as the eight fold path and five precepts, and I am open to the idea of karma and reincarnation.

So here is the man part of my question: Some people say in order to consider yourself a Buddhist, you have to fully accept everything in the religion, and some say you are a Buddhist as soon as you start the path by following the Buddha's teachings, and growing and learning through life. Which one is right?

Thanks
Go with the second.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

edwhys211 wrote:Hi, I was raised Christian but it never made much sense to me and I gave up my religion. Anyway, I have been looking into Buddhism for awhile, and I follow the teachings of The Buddha, such as the eight fold path and five precepts, and I am open to the idea of karma and reincarnation.

Thanks
We're not forced to accept anything in Buddhism. The Buddha encouraged his followers to question everything, even the Dhamma itself.
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
Bonsai Doug

Post by Bonsai Doug »

tiltbillings wrote:

Thanks
Go with the second.
I agree.

Old joke, but true:
Q: What's the difference between a Buddhist and a non-Buddhist?
A: The non-Buddhist thinks there's a difference.
Now having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path.

~ Tibetan Book of the Dead
dude

Post by dude »

Buddhism is a practice, not a state of being.
One who practices Buddhism is a Buddhist.
You can undergo initiation as a monk one day and quit practicing the next, sometimes without even knowing that you've quit.
The Buddha stated that even after being accepted into the Order and receiving the precepts from the Buddha himself, one who acts in such and such a way "Is not my disciple and does not understand my teachings." One who acts in such and such a different way, is, and does understand.
People can say what they want, and as it seems you've already found out, they will. There is no Ministry of Buddhism in charge of handing out certificates and deciding who is a Buddhist and who is not.
There is no authority but the Buddha. Since we were not born in the Buddha's lifetime, we look to the sutras for instruction; "Rely on the Law and not upon persons." Reflecting deeply on our own conduct in the light of the Buddha's teaching we ourselves can borrow the wisdom of the Buddha and make our own judgment whether we are disciples of the Buddha and understand his teachings or not.
plwk

Post by plwk »

If this is of any help...
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Dhamma is the path to be walked.
Dhamma is not the believing to be understand.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english