Realizing no-self for 1,000£ only! ;)

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Bagoba

Realizing no-self for 1,000£ only! ;)

Post by Bagoba »

Hi everyone,

Stumbled across this blog, and especially this discussion here:
http://ruthlesstruthdotcom.blogspot.fr/ ... t.html?m=0

That "Direct pointing at no-self" technique seems to be working wonders for some! :)

What do you make of this?

You may read this as well, to have more background about Ciaran:
http://ruthlesstruthdotcom.blogspot.fr/ ... shine.html

Cheers,
Bagoba
"This path is a thorough investigation and understanding of the limitations of the mortal condition of the body and mind. Now you're developing the ability to turn away from the conditioned and to release your identity from mortality." Ajan Sumedho, "Mindfulness, the path to the Deathless." http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/deathless.pdf
Ben

Re: Realizing no-self for 1,000£ only! ;)

Post by Ben »

Yes, we are aware of them and from time to time one of their minions come to Dhamma Wheel - but they never last long.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Bagoba

Post by Bagoba »

Ben wrote:Yes, we are aware of them and from time to time one of their minions come to Dhamma Wheel - but they never last long.
kind regards,

Ben
Hi Ben,

I'd be curious to read some of the discussions that took place between you guys, can you provide some links by any chance?

Cheers,
Fred
"This path is a thorough investigation and understanding of the limitations of the mortal condition of the body and mind. Now you're developing the ability to turn away from the conditioned and to release your identity from mortality." Ajan Sumedho, "Mindfulness, the path to the Deathless." http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/deathless.pdf
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Bagoba,
From memory, a substantial volume of posts may have been removed to our naughty post archive in the admin forum. I'll have a bit of a look later and if there is anything in the public forum I'll provide a link.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Bagoba

Post by Bagoba »

Ok no sweat, thanks Ben. :)

What do you personaly make of the exchange pointed above though? There seems to be some change of perspective taking place in the dude's mind thanks to Ciaran's words... Can it really be that simple? :)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Fred,

Its almost identical to other stuff I've read from their site.
Its no different from what people were doing in the '70s and '80s with EST and The Forum.
In one post that I read, some time ago, Ciaran was putting the hard word on his minions to go forth and troll other forums and get the word out about his book.
Its nothing but a money-making enterprise.
I would think you would be better off sending your L1000 to a charity or as dana to a meditation centre or monastery. My communication with so-called enlightened 'ruthless truth' people is that they are very far from being liberated.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Bagoba

Post by Bagoba »

Thanks Ben :)
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

For a guy who is so vocal about there being no self, there is an awful lot of "I" and "me" in those pages.

I really doubt there are shortcuts. The habits of self are very deeply ingrained and many are very subtle. They are not going to be gone just like this, without the hard slog. They are not going to be gone without careful cultivation which will expose the deep as well as the subtle clinging.

Sure some people may have cultivated the paramis in past lives and one great effort may suffice, I don't know. What is quite clear is that this is not the case with our friend, Ciaran.
_/|\_
manas

Post by manas »

Hi Bagoba,

well I dunno about 'no-self', but you could tell him that, if he gives me every last penny, I can guarantee he will realize 'no-money' instantly

manas :)
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
plwk

Post by plwk »

Do Dhamma Wheel members get a discount? :mrgreen:
Bagoba

Post by Bagoba »

plwk wrote:Do Dhamma Wheel members get a discount? :mrgreen:
That's an excellent question plwk, I will ask and let you know... :lol:
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

manas wrote:Hi Bagoba,

well I dunno about 'no-self', but you could tell him that, if he gives me every last penny, I can guarantee he will realize 'no-money' instantly

manas :)
Seems legit. :mrgreen:

Bagoba wrote: That "Direct pointing at no-self" technique seems to be working wonders for some! :)

What do you make of this?
It's a classic example of the placebo effect. However, if you want to spend 1,000£ or more, i offer to sell magic stones that will awaken common sense and economic consciousness in every person who buys it! :tongue:
marc108

Post by marc108 »

The first thing I can do is liberate you - this is to trigger the permanent shift commonly referred to as enlightenment.

I am the philosopher who cracked open the trigger mechanism for this, and also the most successful direct liberator alive.
barfffffff :clap:
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Hahaha it's dedicated to Bill Hicks! That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Bagoba wrote:What do you make of this?
That's not a bad price!
LonesomeYogurt wrote:Hahaha it's dedicated to Bill Hicks! That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard.
Indeed. Very strange and awesome at the same time.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3