Lucid Dreaming & Meditation

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
dhamma_newb

Lucid Dreaming & Meditation

Post by dhamma_newb »

I recently purchased a couple of books on Lucid Dreaming and I'm interested in Lucid Dreaming as a way to practice meditation.

Tibetan Buddhist Tarthang Tulku writes, "Dreams are a reservoir of knowledge and experience yet they are often overlooked as a vehicle for exploring reality. In the dream state our bodies are at rest, yet we see and hear, move about, and are even able to learn. When we make good use of the dream state, it is almost as if our lives were doubled: instead of a hundred years, we live two hundred."

I have had lucid dreams before and I am interested in hearing from people who have also had lucid dreams and what they think about using lucid dreams for meditation. Does Theravāda literature mention anything about dreams?

Metta,
Don
The watched mind brings happiness.
Dhp 36

I am larger and better than I thought. I did not know I held so much goodness.
Walt Whitman
bodom

Re: Lucid Dreaming & Meditation

Post by bodom »

Does Theravāda literature mention anything about dreams?

Ive never come across any Theravadin teachings on the subject. You may want to try posting your question here:

Dharma Wheel
http://www.dharmawheel.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
dhamma_newb

Post by dhamma_newb »

Thank you bodom. :smile:
Dhp 36

Walt Whitman
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

This recent thread might help http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... ep#p167701" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; there are a few others on lucid dreaming also if you search
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
dhamma_newb

Post by dhamma_newb »

Thanks Goof. :)
Dhp 36

Walt Whitman
tillencik

Post by tillencik »

I experimented with lucid dreaming and it was very interesting. If you set yourself to ask "is this real?" at regular intervals during the day it'll start to happen during dreams, then you'll realize you're dreaming. Staying in the dream after you are 'enlightened' is difficult but manageable. I do see dreams and lucid dreams as a metaphor for life and enlightened life.
Practical Buddhist

Om Namu Padme Hum
Yana

Post by Yana »

dhamma_newb wrote:I recently purchased a couple of books on Lucid Dreaming and I'm interested in Lucid Dreaming as a way to practice meditation.

Tibetan Buddhist Tarthang Tulku writes, "Dreams are a reservoir of knowledge and experience yet they are often overlooked as a vehicle for exploring reality. In the dream state our bodies are at rest, yet we see and hear, move about, and are even able to learn. When we make good use of the dream state, it is almost as if our lives were doubled: instead of a hundred years, we live two hundred."

I have had lucid dreams before and I am interested in hearing from people who have also had lucid dreams and what they think about using lucid dreams for meditation. Does Theravāda literature mention anything about dreams?

Metta,
Don
Hi,

Dreams have a significant place in my life.I tend to learn a lot of things from dreams.Whether about myself or other people or things i can't explain.
This is why i truly value dreams..sometimes they are just sorting out through everyday informations we receive..sometimes it's something else.
Lucid dreaming however,i have had a few times in my life.I am not sure how to use lucid dreaming as a form of meditation.Although it ALWAYS happens AFTER i meditate.Especially before bed.

After i meditate all my dreams are lucid.

.. i think it's very normal and natural.I think because your awareness is heightened you are aware that you are dreaming.You are mindful of your dreams like you are mindful of your waking life. :smile:
Life is preparing for Death