Nascent Speculative Non-Buddhism

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
ancientbuddhism

Nascent Speculative Non-Buddhism

Post by ancientbuddhism »

NASCENT SPECULATIVE NON-BUDDHISM by Glenn Wallis
In sum

Speculative non-buddhism is a transgression against buddhistic transcendence—the dark concealment of an atavistic yearning to rise above the status of homo sapiens ape and to escape, unscathed, from empty reality. Speculative non-buddhism permits an understanding of Buddhism more basic than the pseudo-understanding of Dharma-infused buddhistic discourse. The life of speculative non-buddhism is the death of buddhistic pretension to specular oracularity. It thrives on the violent absence of the dharmic good, and thus of everything that protects, consolidates, or guarantees the interests of the individual personality. The death of this transcendent pretension is the ultimate transgression, the release of narcissistic humanity from itself, back into the blind infernal extravagance of the sun.

Huh?
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
Kim OHara

Re: Nascent Speculative Non-Buddhism

Post by Kim OHara »

:rolleye:
Looks like a severe case of scholasticism to me. Sufferers initially lose the ability to say anything clearly and typically progress to loss of ability to say anything meaningful. They may, however, survive for many years so long as they are protected from contact with uninfected people.

:namaste:
Kim
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hmmmm.....?

''I hold a Ph.D. in Buddhist studies from Harvard University's Department of Sanskrit and Indian Studies. My scholarly work focuses on various aspects of Buddhism. Recently, I have been concerned with how to make classical Buddhist literature, philosophy, and practice relevant to contemporary life. My emphasis, though, is not on "Buddhism;" it is on "contemporary life." Interestingly, the more "life" emerges, the more "Buddhism" recedes. Hmmm.
[continues …………………]''
http://glennwallis.com/who-i-am/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Glenn Wallis is pretty awesome (I have and love his translation of the Dhammapada,) but I can't make much of his articles ever. It sounds like he wants to strip away all the pretense from Buddhism to see what's genuinely useful for the individual.

Maybe someone could encourage him to come on here and explain his ideas more simply.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
ground

Post by ground »

Structured and systematic thought is of "system building" nature. Therefore the number of "systems of thought" is endless.

Kind regards
fig tree

Post by fig tree »

ancientbuddhism wrote:
[...]
The death of this transcendent pretension is the ultimate transgression, the release of narcissistic humanity from itself, back into the blind infernal extravagance of the sun.
Huh?
Excuse my deleting most of that in the [...]. :smile: If you read to the end, you see that he's taken a quotation from some other author waxing poetic about the liberating potential of literature and made some substitutions in it.

One of the pitfalls of postmodernism is that it offers a tempting easy path up to the (supposed) status of "innovative critic"... of essentially almost anything you can name. One can see various standard postmodernist "moves" in this piece. He presents the mere actual Buddhist as if trapped within a structure that he now proposes to "expose" for what it is, but without doing the work that serious criticism would require. Being a good critic is hard work, as for one thing it requires making sure that you're not just projecting your own preoccupations onto your subject, not just interpreting it as if it were a deviant version of your own point of view.

So much of what he has to say in this piece about Buddhism could be said almost as well about almost anything. One can tell that he's concerned, for example, about the way that Buddhist scripture is used as a source of authority ("The Buddha said that....") This is a very natural concern. But I don't see any way in which he's really grappled with it. A person might argue, it's a bad idea to take anything on authority, and you'd find that some Buddhists would agree with you. But he writes as though he has no interest in admitting to any such view. (Early on, he comments that he's not interested in his non-Buddhism contradicting doctrinal claims in Buddhism.) There's also this theme of immanence vs. transcendence. I can't think of any religion (or philosophy of life or...) where this isn't an issue. I also can't think of many in which "deconstructing" this dichotomy has been pursued to the extent that it has in Buddhism. We might as well have a bumper-sticker, "Immanence = Transcendence". But now he proposes to reveal to us the manner in which we as Buddhists are constrained by it. He also refers to the possibility of total loss of faith that the dharma can enable us to solve the problem of death (to paraphrase a bit). Again, who has seriously attempted to come to grips with death without at some point losing a sense of naive trust in whatever traditional answer one has been given? But the real question is, in the face of this kind of doubt, how does one carry on forward? Have we made a sound (skillful) choice for how to cope with our position of uncertainty?

So I don't see him as accomplishing much here... even philosophically naive critics seem usually to do better. (In fact it might well be that following in the footsteps of the sophisticated other writer he claims inspired him has led him to waste time with stuff like this.) If we can believe his biographical blurb, he's had the chance to do much better.

Fig Tree
ancientbuddhism

Post by ancientbuddhism »

Bhante Sujato’s reply to the comment in his blog, raised of the Buddhist Manifesto by Glenn Wallis :
Hi Geoff,
Finally got around to reading the article. I appreciate Wallace’s up-front manner, which i don’t find at all vexatious, as his apologetic tone in the introduction would have us believe. It’s a straightforward set of principles, clearly and energetically set out. I would have thought most of what he says is fairly standard fare in the realms of ‘secular Buddhism’, but he seems to be presenting it as a controversial statement. Perhaps it is, I’m not very familiar with the world of american Buddhism.

There are certain problems with the paper. First up is his dismissal of being able to sort out the original teachings on text-critical grounds. Like so may, he seems to have absorbed second hand the opinions of Schopen, which simply don’t establish what they are supposed to. Most of the basic arguments that Schopen uses to demolish the findings of the text-critical studies are simply wrong: i have demonstrated this at length in two essays. This is not a matter of interpretation (only), he misreads his texts and draws false conclusions. When his mistakes are rectified, the readings in fact tend to support the text-critical consensus.

Wallis describes the nature of Buddhist texts as “heavily edited translations of older oral compositions”. This is misleading, and perpetrates a number of misunderstandings. First, the Pali texts are not ‘translations’ in the sense of translating from French to English; they are ‘translations’ in the sense of translating English to Australian (ok, some might think there’s an even bigger linguistic gap there!). The translation, or more precisely, dialectical standardization, does not seriously affect the meaning. Second, there is no evidence at all that an oral tradition of the type of early Buddhism is in any way less reliable than a written tradition. Finally, they are ‘heavily edited’. So what? A newspaper article is edited, does this mean we simply throw out the idea that it in any way reflects the opinions of the author? This is not reason, it is the rejection of reason.

What our understanding of the nature of early Buddhist literature means, rather, is that we have to understand the nature of the editing process, the kinds of changes that may have been introduced, the manner in which the means of transmission may have influenced the final product. This is simply to say that the Buddhist texts, like all other texts, do not exist in some arbitrary socio-historical vacuum, but must be read in context. Sure, this means that we nuance, refine, criticize, and sometimes reject the theories of earlier scholars. It does not mean we stop trying.

The outcome of this kind of ‘reasoning’ is that most of the western scholarly world has stopped paying serious attention to the early teachings, while a few dedicated scholars like Ven Analayo do the heavy lifting that is required to actually improve our understanding.

This then leads on to Wallace’s Dhamma principles. First, Wallace redefines the four noble truths to strictly exclude rebirth – including saying samsara is ‘neurotic pressure’! Then he goes on to say that these definitions are “so basic to Buddhism that it hardly requires comment”. Umm, no. They are a radical revisioning of the Dhamma, which is a product of 20th century American secularization, and which would be unrecognizable as Buddhism to any previous generation.

Wallace is honest enough to admit the obvious: that references to devas and the like are fundamental to early Buddhism. (Note how he has now switched from first decrying the text-critical process, to now relying on it, implicitly assuming that the early Sutta, not the Mahayana, etc., are the best guide to what “Gotama” taught.) What he omits is the elementary distinction between narrative and doctrine; between the ‘story’ of a deva who comes to visit the Buddha, and a direct and specific claim made by the Buddha when speaking of central matters. It is in the first kind of teaching that we find the Indian cosmology, the use of ‘special effects’ for narrative spice, and the other matters that Wallace quite rightly points out (including “(i) genre restraint and requirement, and (ii) advertisement and propagation”.)

In the Buddha’s own direct statements on the matter, however, we do not find these things: we find a consistently worked out, philosophically coherent system that the Buddha says he has realized with his own direct knowledge. Wallace avoids the implications of this, having previously snipped rebirth out of the four noble truths. Remember, the second truth is not, as Wallace says, “you ask too much of the world.” It is “That craving that leads to future rebirth”.

Wallace goes on to say that “supernatural” teachings contradict the phenomenological approach of the Buddha. I agree completely. It is just that the Buddhist teachings are not in any sense “supernatural”. This is an imported western concept, derived from Aristotelian metaphysical dualism, which is unknown in India. The gods and the rest are very much a part of nature, subject to the same laws that we are. This does not mean such teachings are true; but it does mean that this critique is misguided. We need to ask the Indic tradition how they conceived these things, how they reconciled the different aspects. Contrary to Wallace, we have not received mainly the Buddha of the devotees – in fact the vast majority of Buddhist texts are precisely the Buddhism of the philosophers – they’re the ones who write stuff. This means that there are many highly intelligent, critical, inquiring minds who have reflected on these questions before us. While we won’t come to the same answers that they have, as we are in a different context, we should not labor under the conceit that we are the first generation to notice these things.

So, then, are the Buddha’s claims about rebirth “true”? There is a genuine issue here, and a case to be made on both sides. Those who attack rebirth, to my mind, accept too readily the hubris of modern science, which itself does not in any way understand the anti-metaphysical nature of Buddhism, but is still fighting its battles with Christianity. On the other hand, perhaps, as Wallace suggests, Gotama simply got it wrong. Those who defend rebirth often misunderstand or misrepresent the extent to which traditional Buddhist beliefs have genuinely been undermined by science. I just heard a story of a senior monk who insists that the moon is a silver mansion inhabited by a deva, who used his magic powers to create a false surface of the moon in order to deceive the astronauts who went there. Sad and a bit pitiful, yes, but it is honest in representing the kinds of ideas that 2500 years of Buddhists have accepted without question.

Okay, fair enough, intelligently interrogate Buddhist notions in the light of modern science, modify or reject when required – on both sides. In this sense I agree with Wallace that we should be critics of tradition – although this does not exclude being a custodian as well. In fact, any good custodian must always be a critic, to decide what is worth preserving.

Our understanding of early Buddhism – of “Gotama”, if you like – is imperfect and always will be. Nevertheless, there are some things we do know pretty well. If we are to embrace Wallace’s project of rescuing Gotama from the Buddha – a project I have considerable sympathy with – then it is a bad move to start by throwing away some of the few things we know with reasonable certainty. When we cut ourselves loose from the moorings of history, we end up with a Buddha who looks very much like, well, us. And how exactly is that meant to lead to any radical transformation?
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves