Three Kinds of Teacher

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Three Kinds of Teacher

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:02 am

I heard recently there are three kinds of Dhamma Teacher or teaching, simply put the teacher comes from Anitta, Anatta, or Dhukka!
does anyone know the caracteristics of each of these three what is the common expression/s or theme of the three different types?

I believe the teacher of Dhukka comes from a position (or can come from) of Metta as the cornerstone of their teachings but what else tells us which they come from?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Re: Three Kinds of Teacher

Postby appicchato » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:52 am

Hi Manapa,

This doesn't sound like anything I've encountered...where have you 'recently heard'?...

Be well... ;)
appicchato

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:18 pm

Hi Appicchato,

appicchato wrote:where have you 'recently heard'?...

I don't think it is in the Suttas, specifically! but it was from a Dhamma Teacher called Michael Kewley (AKA Pańńadipa)I know the last time I saw him back home a month ago! just wondering more about it
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Dhammanando » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:44 am

Hi Manapa,

Manapa wrote:I don't think it is in the Suttas, specifically! but it was from a Dhamma Teacher called Michael Kewley (AKA Pańńadipa)I know the last time I saw him back home a month ago! just wondering more about it

I'm not familiar with the idea that you mention, but am reminded of the teaching about the three gateways to Nibbana. Here penetration of impermanence leads to the signless liberation, penetration of dukkha to the desireless liberation, and penetration of anatta to the emptiness liberation.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
    ...and this thought arose in the mind of the Blessed One:
    “Who lives without reverence lives miserably.”
    Uruvela Sutta, A.ii.20

It were endless to dispute upon everything that is disputable.
    — William Penn Some Fruits of Solitude,
Dhammanando

Postby stuka » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:24 am

Dhammanando wrote:Hi Manapa,

Manapa wrote:I don't think it is in the Suttas, specifically! but it was from a Dhamma Teacher called Michael Kewley (AKA Pańńadipa)I know the last time I saw him back home a month ago! just wondering more about it

I'm not familiar with the idea that you mention, but am reminded of the teaching about the three gateways to Nibbana. Here penetration of impermanence leads to the signless liberation, penetration of dukkha to the desireless liberation, and penetration of anatta to the emptiness liberation.

I was reminded of that also.
stuka

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:17 am

hi Dhammanando

Dhammanando wrote:Hi Manapa,

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu

Maybe it is related to that? how someone "knows" is how they teach?
so if someone has liberation through Impermanence they teach the signless path, so if someone has liberation through Dukkha they teach the desireless path, so if someone has liberation through anatta they teach the emptyness path? which in a way coresponds to what was said at the time! which was mainly about teachers of Dukkha tending to emphasise Metta!
but Dhamma has many flavours but only one taste!
Cittasanto

Return to Open Dhamma