Combined Karmic Results

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
squarepeg

Combined Karmic Results

Post by squarepeg »

Greetings all,

Im trying to avoid wrong view here, Is there anything in the suttas that specifys wether or not others karmic actions affect our flow of karma? Like if i were to go rob a bank and shoot the bank teller, is it safe to say that that, now dead, bank teller had negitive karma that led to his early demise? In infinite existances im sure its safe too say that we all have our share of horrific karma that has yet to come into furition. Is this part of interdependence?
"Yadisam vapate bijam tadisam harate phalam" — as we sow, so shall we reap
Maranam Bhavissati - "death will take place"
squarepeg

Re: Combined Karmic Results

Post by squarepeg »

any effort to help me gain clairty is greatly appriciated

with metta

-sp (may also stand for spelling :tongue: )
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings squarepeg,

You may wish to consult the following:
Kamma: A Study Guide by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
You may find the notion of "interdependence" to be of Mahayana, and perhaps contemporary, origin.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
squarepeg

Post by squarepeg »

§ 22. "These four imponderables are not to be speculated about. Whoever speculates about them would go mad & experience vexation. Which four? The Buddha-range of the Buddhas [i.e., the range of powers a Buddha develops as a result of becoming a Buddha]... The jhana-range of one absorbed in jhana [i.e., the range of powers that one may obtain while absorbed in jhana]... The results of kamma... Speculation about [the first moment, purpose, etc., of] the cosmos is an imponderable that is not to be speculated about. Whoever speculates about these things would go mad & experience vexation."— AN 4.77
thats good enough for me :jumping:

thank you! ben

sp
Fede

Post by Fede »

I was going to add the same thing....But as Ben also points out, the interdependence of causality, and interconnectedness of our Kamma with that of others' is a mind-blowing concept that is not addressed in Theravada.

That's not to say it's not possible, but that it's simply far too great a concept to study to any depth.

The thing to remember is that Kamma (which in fact is action or seed) and vippaka (which is the result, or fruit) have to be as a result of Wilful Intention, in thought, Word and Deed.

In other words, matters that arise by sheer accident, are not Kammic factors, they may well be considered 'neutral'.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;