Social Action

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Buckwheat

Re: Social Action

Postby Buckwheat » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:17 am

Last edited by Buckwheat on Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.

contemplans

Postby contemplans » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:18 am

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:54 am

Kenshou

Postby Kenshou » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:32 am

Oh, nevermind, my grumps aren't going to do any good. Entertaining thread, in any case.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:47 am

DarwidHalim

Postby DarwidHalim » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:21 am

I read through some of the reply and I can sense that there is a notion that Buddhist practice doing meditation and this meditation separating them from social life. There is a sense because of this your involvement in society is a some sort of fake.

One of my teacher who is Christian, one time told me, what is the use for Buddhist to practise meditation in the mountain? Meditation is dangerous. Selfish act just for themselves.

:rofl:

Well, it all happens because you see Buddhism from the skin.

We do a meditation or whatever practise they are to conquer ourself, to eliminate all the defilements inside us, to see how is this reality really looks like.

Once we realize that, we go to the society to show them this.

Look, you are all looking for happiness. But the way you find happiness instead of bringing you happiness, they just bring you suffering. If you want to find the true happiness, this is the way.

This is the true contribution to the society. Although we help the poor by giving food, this is not the main aim.

We cannot do all this if we ourself is also deluded. We are not helping the society. We are even make this society looks worse. Short term it looks good. It looks good to be able to give food to the poor. But, in the long term giving food will not bring that person happiness.

The act of Mother Theresa is excellent and beautiful, but there are good only for a short while. But, from Buddhist point of view, it has less value because you will come back again in this samsara with full ignorance, and you start again this cycle or happiness and sadness.

Social action is definitely where are going after we trained so hard to make ourself really someone who know how truly benefiting this society.

And the ultimate Buddhist action is to stop all this cycle for all society wherever they are.

We are not teaching them to see Buddha as a creator,
We are not teaching them to deify Buddha.

Just showing them, look this is reality.
This is impermanent. Look at it. Save yourself from this cycle of samsara.

Free from God and unrealistic hope such as the kingdom of god or nirvana or whatever it is.
Last edited by DarwidHalim on Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!

contemplans

Postby contemplans » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:09 am

chownah

Postby chownah » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:22 am

contemplans,
I still have no idea what this soul thing is that you keep talking about. I have never had any experience that has shown me a soul and so far you haven't really said much about how one could go about expereinceing the soul ....you just keep making unsupported conjecture on what you think are various aspects of it. So for me, "soul" is sort of like "rebirth" in that I have never had an expereince that indicates that either one exists so I just sort of let go of the concepts until some expereince arises which gives some insight into them. Have you ever had an experience that led you to believe that a soul exists?....and what exactly does the idea of "soul" have to do with social action?
chownah

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:34 am

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:10 pm

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:11 pm

Good point Kim. Let us get this thread back to topic lest it be closed. :focus:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:
My Practice Blog:

contemplans

Postby contemplans » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:27 pm

I said that plunging the depths of the arahant's soul was difficult, and someone then said, What soul? And on it went from there. I originally said the statement to refer to his inmost thoughts and desires.

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:12 pm

Time to close up shop and start another thread if everyone insists on talking about the theory of Soul.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:
My Practice Blog:

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”