Your view about schools

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
DarwidHalim

Your view about schools

Post by DarwidHalim »

Dear members,

If we go to the temple and ask the practitioner, for example Theravada practitioner, we will find a practitioner who says Buddha is God or above Buddha still have God who create Buddha.

Similarly, when your go to other Buddhist schools, we will find this answer as well.

We have to acknowledge that not all Buddhist practitioners read Buddha dharma. Things become worse when the practitioners have catholic or Muslim background, where the existence of god is so strong. The consequence is the practitioner who didn't read Buddha dharma will use their previous mindset to their new view. All of these can be understood.

However, what I found quite interesting is the view among different practitioners in Buddhism. Some of us mention that oh that school deify the Buddha like a god.

Besides making such a general statement, are we really sure with our view that the school we are aiming to are actually teaching the practitioner to deify the Buddha?

Or actually in yourself you believe that it is Just the practitioner who mistakenly have that view?
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
Ben

Re: Your view about schools

Post by Ben »

What is the point of this thread?
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DarwidHalim

Post by DarwidHalim »

It is to understand the background of our image.

Some of us are so confident in claiming something based on their visual inspections or their images of some practitioners.

What I want to highlight is when we claim something do we really understand their teaching and then we claim it or we simply rely on Our image and we claim?

What we write can have a chain effects. Claiming something that we really never know by heart can bring karma to ourself and baseless misunderstanding to others.
I am not here nor there.
I am not I nor non-I.
ground

Post by ground »

It is like in the case of a scentless clean cloth. When put into a glass that contains the scent of roses it will absorb the scent of roses. When put into a glass that contains the scent of cinnamon it will absorb the scent of cinnamon.

In the same vein when you are not preoccupied ("scentless clean cloth") and repeatedly attend a group of practitioners where a particular school's view is expounded you will gradually and maybe even unconsciously absorb the views expounded there in an authentic way.

If you are preoccupied with views then the simile of the cloth does not apply. Why? Because you will transform all views expounded by others to match your own preoccupations.

Kind regards
Ben

Post by Ben »

Be sure to extend that same gaze inward, Darwid.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

DarwidHalim

Post by DarwidHalim »

Absolutely Ben
I am not here nor there.
I am not I nor non-I.
Ben

Post by Ben »

I'm glad to hear it!

- Sutta Nipata 3.725