Urgently seeking jhana teachers in Burma and SE Asia

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Re: Jhana Teachers In Burma?

Postby Ben » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:06 pm

With respect, didn't you start a thread on this exact same subject a few days ago?
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby ancientbuddhism » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:22 pm

Mr.SeanStewart wrote: ... PSS. I heard Ajan Chah was focusing on jhana before vipassina but today i visited one of his
monesteries (Wat Pah Nanachat) in Udon Thailand, and i talked to one of the monks
and he didnt know any thing about Jhana.

WPN is more a kindergarten for ordaining Western seekers in the Ajāhn Chah lineage than a center dedicated to contemplative training. Even so, it is rather amusing that a bhikkhu in this lineage would not know anything about jhāna.

If Ajāhn Ñāṇadhammo is there and has time he would surely be able to answer your questions.
Fingers walk the darkness down
Mind is on the midnight
Gather up the gold you've found
You fool, it's only moonlight.
If you try to take it home
Your hands will turn to butter
You better leave this dream alone
Try to find another. – Townes Van Zandt ‘Lungs’

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

Postby Mr.SeanStewart » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:19 am

Ben wrote:With respect, didn't you start a thread on this exact same subject a few days ago?

Hi Ben, your right sorry about the double post, i figured this one is a summary of my search
and listing the only actual teachers that are genuinly Jhana focused.

if this is not ok feel free to move/delete thanks again
Mr.SeanStewart

Postby Ben » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:29 am

Mr.SeanStewart wrote:
Ben wrote:With respect, didn't you start a thread on this exact same subject a few days ago?

Hi Ben, your right sorry about the double post, i figured this one is a summary of my search
and listing the only actual teachers that are genuinly Jhana focused.

if this is not ok feel free to move/delete thanks again

No worries, Sean.
I've merged it with the other thread and changed the thread title so that it should attract interest from those who might have information regarding your query.
kind regards,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Re: Urgently seeking jhana teachers in Burma and SE Asia

Postby bazzaman » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:18 am

Two points:
1) regarding samatha practice at Chanmyay Yeiktha: yes, it is possible to do up to three months of it there, if one is planning a lengthy stay. i.e. many more months of vipassana afterwards. I did this once many years ago; but the only form of samatha they would permit was metta bhavana. I never heard of anapana being taught there.
I requested permission to do samatha there based upon something I had read by Chanmyay Sayadaw. It is not a common practice there, and, even though I was permitted to do so, it is perhaps viewed as a divergence from the preferred method of practice i.e. Mahasi style vipassana
2) I would not be too concerned about the student teacher ratio at Pa Auk Tawya. As a foreigner, one has more access to Pa Auk Sayadaw (if he is there) than do the local yogis. If Sayadaw is not at the centre, there are other teachers who will take care of the foreign yogis. It is possible to have a daily interview.
bazzaman

Re: Urgently seeking jhana teachers in Burma and SE Asia

Postby Mr.SeanStewart » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:30 pm

Thanks bazzaman very helpful, i just applied for my meditation visa today will be heading there this week

Ben Thank you for your help :)
Mr.SeanStewart

Previous

Return to Open Dhamma