YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Wat Dhammakaya - Page 6 - Dhamma Wheel

Wat Dhammakaya

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Kumara

Re: Wat Dhammakaya

Postby Kumara » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:04 am

I'm not just a monk. I'm a human being. — Sayadaw U Jotika

suriyopama

Postby suriyopama » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:53 am

The large investigation about Dhammakaya and other corrupt monks on 2bkk.com has been ordered to be deleted by the authorities. :weep:

Dhammakaya is extremely powerful. Very well positioned inside some factions of the Thai government, the police, the army, businessmen, and supported by very powerful people like the exiled PM Thaksin Shinawatra.

Sokehi

Postby Sokehi » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:28 am

this is dangerous and certainly not for the well being of many
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

Kumara

Postby Kumara » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:36 am

helparcfun

Postby helparcfun » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:57 pm

Kumara

Postby Kumara » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:23 am

suriyopama

Postby suriyopama » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:35 am

The Thai Ministry of Education is forcing teachers to be brainwashed with Dhammakaya through coercive measures, not giving teaching licenses to the ones that do not have the :alien: certificate

It´s in Thai, but you can use Google Translate to get a rough idea

Kumara

Postby Kumara » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:41 am

appicchato

Postby appicchato » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:06 am

Kumara

Postby Kumara » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:37 am

helparcfun

Postby helparcfun » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:44 pm

I must say that I am getting more and more worried about my wife's involvement with this group. Today she went off to the Temple in Woking and just as we said goodbye she said today is a "big merit day" at the temple and as she said this she looked in the direction of my wallet on the table!! It does very much seem like the only way to gain merit (if that's the right way of putting it) is to donate more money. My understanding of gaining merit was through general good deeds.

I was at the temple last year with my wife for Kathina day where they had the usual ceremony which was all fine until one of their disciples began telling everyone through the temple sound system that everyone should donate more money and that the more money they donate the better their lives would be!!

I sometimes feel that this lot should be investigated by the UK government for the way they try to force their followers to give money. But they do it in quite subtle ways which may make it difficult to prove they're doing anything wrong - if their followers are donating freely then it may be decided that there's nothing untoward going on. It's the way they brainwash their followers into believing all their nonsense that worries me.

Having said all this I must say I am still quite taken with Buddhism generally, especially with their meditation techniques. For me, I am happy doing the mindfulness of breathing or the loving kindness meditation. All the other stuff that comes with it is really not important to me.

Perhaps someone on this forum can explain one aspect of Buddhism which I have been struggling to understand. My understanding of these matters may not be correct so please anyone correct me if I am in error; one of Buddha's teaching is that we should try to eradicate such things as desires or wants because these lead to suffering. My problem with this relates to my wife (and others who attend the DMC temples). She and the others seem to have very strong desires, or wants, to visit the temple and to meditate as often as they can. To my way of thinking this desire is contrary to Buddha's teaching and I wonder whether or not, if the Buddha were around today would he be happy at the way in which DMC seem to promote their brand of Buddhism pretty much like a company may promote its products. My wife (and I'm sure others from the temple do too) sometimes gets to the point where she feels bad if she hasn't found time for her daily meditation - surely this can't be healthy? To my way of thinking meditation should become a natural part of an individual's daily activities. There may be days when events don't allow time for this and if so, well, so be it! Surely an individual should not 'beat them self up" if they haven't managed to meditate everyday? Sometimes I really worry that all this DMC nonsense is going to have a detrimental effect on her over time.

Kind regards all.
Paul.

nibbuti

Postby nibbuti » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:00 am

Kumara

Postby Kumara » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:04 am

dagon

Postby dagon » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:46 pm

Kumara

Postby Kumara » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:00 am

Kumara

Re: Wat Dhammakaya: Fund Raising Method

Postby Kumara » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:34 am

Recently someone who attended a Buddhist ceremony at a Thai Wat (temple) in a northern state of Malaysia told me about his experience there. First he saw prominently placed posters of the super-rich: Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, etc. Later, a young monk gave a talk, asking the audience why these people are so rich. He then answered himself that it's because they have done a lot of dana (giving). After that, he began to introduce Dhammakaya with a computer presentation, showing impressive photos, etc.

This may not mean much to many of you here, but for the gullible, materialistic Buddhists (which there are many in Malaysia), I can see how it would work.

This reminds me of an article in Times magazine on Scientology: "The Thriving Cult of Greed and Power: Ruined lives. Lost fortunes. Federal crimes. Scientology poses as a religion but is really a ruthless global scam — and aiming for the mainstream"

In full: https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Fishman/time-behar.html
Summary and issues around it: Scientology http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thrivi ... _and_Power

dagon

Postby dagon » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:55 pm

terryshine

Postby terryshine » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:53 pm

Attachments
File 21.jpg
File 21.jpg (51 KiB) Viewed 4618 times
File.jpg
File.jpg (62.3 KiB) Viewed 4618 times
Last edited by terryshine on Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sokehi

Postby Sokehi » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:00 pm

Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

terryshine

Postby terryshine » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:06 am

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”