Wat Dhammakaya

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
waterchan

Re: Wat Dhammakaya

Post by waterchan »

dhammarelax wrote:Does anyone have a reference to a meditation guide of the Dhammakaya, ever since the Buddha actually taught the "mind is luminous" it might be interesting trying it.
I would be very wary of trying any meditation techniques offered by a doctrine of a "true self", such as the Dhammakaya. Looks like a path to attaining wrong mindfulness and wrong samadhi.

Besides, that the mind is luminous is not an original Dhammakaya teaching. Ajahn Chah has also said it before, and he and his disciples appear much more legitimate to me, so I would rather investigate their teachings and give Dhammakaya a wide berth.

https://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Training_this_Mind1.php
Training this mind... actually there's nothing much to this mind. It's simply radiant in and of itself. It's naturally peaceful. Why the mind doesn't feel peaceful right now is because it gets lost in its own moods. There's nothing to mind itself.
dhammarelax

Post by dhammarelax »

waterchan wrote:
dhammarelax wrote:Does anyone have a reference to a meditation guide of the Dhammakaya, ever since the Buddha actually taught the "mind is luminous" it might be interesting trying it.
I would be very wary of trying any meditation techniques offered by a doctrine of a "true self", such as the Dhammakaya. Looks like a path to attaining wrong mindfulness and wrong samadhi.

Besides, that the mind is luminous is not an original Dhammakaya teaching. Ajahn Chah has also said it before, and he and his disciples appear much more legitimate to me, so I would rather investigate their teachings and give Dhammakaya a wide berth.

https://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Training_this_Mind1.php
Training this mind... actually there's nothing much to this mind. It's simply radiant in and of itself. It's naturally peaceful. Why the mind doesn't feel peaceful right now is because it gets lost in its own moods. There's nothing to mind itself.
I think that the experience of internal radiance is something DK followers experience a lot, that is where my interest reside.
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

If you want to investigate, there's plenty of on-line instructions in videos and books, and if you speak Thai there's a TV channel...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dhammak ... structions

A lot of the instructions seem to be standard mindfulness and concentration. The key difference is their particular visualisation practice.

:anjali:
Mike
samseva

Post by samseva »

gavesako wrote:More recent news from Thailand:

A JOINT committee made up of monks and laymen will be proposed for the prime minister and National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) chief to endorse and then advise on whether Phra Dhammachayo, the abbot of Wat Phra Dhammakaya in Pathum Thani, should remain a monk.

The panel's conclusion would be presented to the Supreme Sangha Council for it to decide on Dhammachayo's status, Rakkecha Chaechay, the head of the Ombudsman's Office, said yesterday.

Another panel would be proposed to probe if former Attorney-General Pachara Yuthithamdamrong's decision not to indict Dhammachayo was legitimate, while a third committee would investigate a former head of the Department of Religious Affairs for his alleged failure to take action against Dhammachayo as per the letters from the late Supreme Patriarch Somdet Phra Nyanasamvara.

Rakkecha said Dhammachayo was dismissed from the monkhood for violating the monks' code of conduct, according to letters written by the late Supreme Patriarch to the Supreme Sangha Council in 1999.

Dhammachayo agreed in 2006 to turn over assets worth Bt959.3 million, the same year when Pachara decided to abandon lawsuits against the abbot.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 64849.html
That is good news. Thanks for the heads up.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

For an exposition of the original meditation teachings of Phra Mongkhol Thepmuni (as opposed to Wat Dhammakaya's adaptation of them), see the writings of the late Suratano Bhikkhu (Terry Magness), in particular the booklets Vistas and Sammā Samādhi II. All his published works can be downloaded here:

http://www.triple-gem.net/BookList.html

But caveat lector ... though Magness's exposition is a lot less far out than that of the abbot of Wat Dhammakaya, it's still pretty freaky stuff.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
robertk

Post by robertk »

I read some of the dhammakaya stuff and can barely fathom how they developed such ideas. Ones like multiple rebirths forking away from one consciousness.
Then again just today we have comments like these on this forum so I guess it's not so strange.

"I think mental continuum is generating like forks or like a tree."

And
"I think, the consciousness can be manifested as ...[..]bacteria or even an invisible electron."
:thinking:
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Greetings from Pluto :bow:
11758974_10205473052520113_366593212_n.jpg
11758974_10205473052520113_366593212_n.jpg (120.91 KiB) Viewed 3692 times
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
dhammarelax

Post by dhammarelax »

Dhammanando wrote:
For an exposition of the original meditation teachings of Phra Mongkhol Thepmuni (as opposed to Wat Dhammakaya's adaptation of them), see the writings of the late Suratano Bhikkhu (Terry Magness), in particular the booklets Vistas and Sammā Samādhi II. All his published works can be downloaded here:

http://www.triple-gem.net/BookList.html

But caveat lector ... though Magness's exposition is a lot less far out than that of the abbot of Wat Dhammakaya, it's still pretty freaky stuff.
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

I'm not sure of the most updated version of Wat Dhammakaya, but the original Wat Paknam one was mentioned earlier in this thread: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ok#p251859" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, there's a vast difference between a visualized crystal ball and the luminous mind. It's interesting that such a connection can me made. It reminds me of the wrong views mentioned in Brahmajala Sutta (DN1).
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

More thais are starting to open the eyes and react to the Dhammakaya Cult.

Protest against a Dhammakaya fanfare parade at Hat Yai, Songkhla, organized by the Network to Protect Buddhism.

http://www.manager.co.th/Local/ViewNews ... 0000095450
https://www.facebook.com/tipck/posts/1042565169109583
https://www.facebook.com/tipck/posts/1042584785774288

:alien:
:alien:
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

samseva

Post by samseva »

It is good news that there are Thais that are actively against Dhammakaya.

A picture taken out of context can be misleading, but monks looking at a woman singing—both for the singing, which incurs a dukkaṭa, and the fact that it is a girl—and going through some random bag is revealing.
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

What impresses many Thais is the way that Dhammakaya manages to organize huge events with thousands of people participating and everybody lined up properly. It is nothing strange in Thailand to see dancing girls at temple festivals, the Dhammakaya version was probably more disciplined than some others...
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

samseva wrote:It is good news that there are Thais that are actively against Dhammakaya.
There is a group of Thais, including the abbot of Wat Onoi, that has vowed that Dhammachayo is defrocked and faces legal action before the body of the former Sankhara, Somdet Phra Nyanasamvara, is cremated on December 2015, since that was an order that he made but was never executed.
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

While researching of thina-middha, I found something odd at one of their websites:
"Thina means discouragement or gloominess, disheartening, dullness and loneliness."

Huh? I suppose the idea came from the leader or leading coterie. Could it be that he/they are putting their emotions into the explanation?