Samatha Trust

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Lombardi4

Samatha Trust

Post by Lombardi4 »

Bhante Dhammanando recommended Samatha Trust to me, and since their centre in Manchester is only 20 minutes away by bike from my house, I plan to visit them regularly and join the beginners meditation classes. I asked my teacher Bhikkhu Bodhi about them but he said he didn't know much about them but that it does not hurt to try and join their groups.

I would like to know other's experiences with and views about Samatha Trust. Have you had an overall positive experience with them? Are there any bad points? I know nothing as of yet, and can only go by Ven. Dhammanando's praise, and though I trust him 100%, I still would like to get more of an impression of Samatha Trust from more people.

Thanks.
Ben

Re: Samatha Trust

Post by Ben »

Stephen,
Just go! If you find it suitable and agreeable to you - continue to go. Many years ago before my first ten-day course I knew virtually nothing about SN Goenka, but I overcame my nervousness and went, and I am so glad I did.
With metta,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Thanks Ben! I will go, I just wanted to know what other people think. I know I will have my own impressions, and Ven. Dhammanando has given me positive impressions of them, but I thought maybe other people can share theirs too.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Hi Stephen,

I have a friend who goes to regular meditation sessions with a Samatha Trust group and he speaks very highly of them. I think he also went on one of their retreats in Wales.

I don't have experience of them myself because there aren't any of their groups in my area.

Kind regards,

Aloka
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I have only heard good. and I know some of the members are well known for their writings (Gethin I think it is). I did meet some people who went to their groups and their literature is interesting.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

That's good to know! Thanks.
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

I think I've been there before actually. If it's the place I'm thinking of, there was an impressive mural.
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Mawkish1983 wrote:I think I've been there before actually. If it's the place I'm thinking of, there was an impressive mural.
It's the one in Chorlton I will be visiting.

I saw on their website that Venerable Ananda Maitreyya, Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Sumedho have visited the same temple in Chorlton. http://www.samatha.org/manchesterextension" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Upāsaka Sumana wrote:It's the one in Chorlton I will be visiting.
Yes, that's the one. Another user here, ImageMarie (I think), goes there too.
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Mawkish1983 wrote:
Upāsaka Sumana wrote:It's the one in Chorlton I will be visiting.
Yes, that's the one. Another user here, ImageMarie (I think), goes there too.
I went there by bicycle as soon as I found out that it was just 20 minutes away. There was no one inside, but at least I now know the route. I have now contacted them through email, and will go as regularly as I can.
imagemarie

Post by imagemarie »

Hi Stephen

I practiced with a local Samatha group for several years, have visited the Chorlton centre many times, and been on retreat at the centre in Wales. You will receive a very good grounding in concentration/jhana practice with them. There are leading academics and Pali scholars amongst their number, and many experienced and knowledgeable people lead satellite meditation groups. The practice is staged, and developed and refined over time. Hang in there, and you will derive many benefits I'm sure. They are excellent chanters too..if that's your thing :smile:

Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions. Good luck.

:namaste:
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

imagemarie wrote:Hi Stephen

I practiced with a local Samatha group for several years, have visited the Chorlton centre many times, and been on retreat at the centre in Wales. You will receive a very good grounding in concentration/jhana practice with them. There are leading academics and Pali scholars amongst their number, and many experienced and knowledgeable people lead satellite meditation groups. The practice is staged, and developed and refined over time. Hang in there, and you will derive many benefits I'm sure. They are excellent chanters too..if that's your thing :smile:

Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions. Good luck.

:namaste:
Hi Imagemarie, do you still go to the Chorlton centre? Would you like to meet there if you do go? Thanks for sharing your experience with them. All the best. :smile:
imagemarie

Post by imagemarie »

Hi Stephen

I haven't been a part of the group for several years now (though I still get mailings and updates occasionally). I live about 40 miles away.
You will find Samatha folk welcoming and enthusiastic. Particularly so, now that the prospective new build will allow for an expansion of their various classes and activities.

All the best

:anjali:
puppha

Post by puppha »

Hi Upasaka Sumana,

Just my share of experience with them.
I went twice to their weekend retreat. I found they have a pretty complicated system for focusing the mind. The emphasis appeared to be completely on samatha/samadhi, with nothing in terms of vipassana/insight...
In the end I decided it was not for me, but by all means it's best for you to make your own mind about it.

With Metta
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

puppha wrote:Hi Upasaka Sumana,

Just my share of experience with them.
I went twice to their weekend retreat. I found they have a pretty complicated system for focusing the mind. The emphasis appeared to be completely on samatha/samadhi, with nothing in terms of vipassana/insight...
In the end I decided it was not for me, but by all means it's best for you to make your own mind about it.

With Metta
Hi puppha, Thanks for sharing your experience. That was my impression too: that they teach only samatha and no vipassana; but I do have other options for vipassana around, so that does not bother me. Plus, samadhi usually comes before vipassana in the sequential order.

metta