Myanmar: the state mocks its own religion

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
householder

Re: Myanmar: the state mocks its own religion

Post by householder »

It's widely covered in the English-language press there and presumably in Myanmar-language news and social media too; it was certainly a hot topic locally when the initial incident took place from what I understand.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

householder wrote:It's widely covered in the English-language press there and presumably in Myanmar-language news and social media too; it was certainly a hot topic locally when the initial incident took place from what I understand.
It would be interesting to see how much this is used in any campaigns.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ceisiwr

Myanmar Sentences 3 to Prison for Depicting Buddha Wearing Headphones

Post by Ceisiwr »

Does anyone else find this disturbing?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/03/18/wo ... &referrer=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The most disturbing part about it is that people are allowed to open bars in Burma. People are always going to drink alcohol, but it never was an accepted part of Burmese culture. Now it has become normal for young people to visit bars and discos instead of tea shops and pagodas. Secular westerners are polluting every civilized culture in Asia with their irreligious, disrespectful behaviour, and immoral ways of life.

This is disturbing, but unless the illegal immigration is addressed by proper and fair regulations, then there will be no end of the problems.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Phena

Post by Phena »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Secular westerners are polluting every civilized culture in Asia with their irreligious, disrespectful behaviour, and immoral ways of life.
Oh, it's those evil western secularists creating all the problems.

Let's have a look just across the border in Thailand. Seems this Buddhist South East Asian nation has been doing a good enough job polluting its own culture, with the amount of bars and booze they have. (Mekong, SangSom, Sang Tip, Singha, etc, etc, etc anyone?)

Casting this as a problem Westerners have created rather then a universal human issue (dukkha and avijja) is such a facile analysis.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The most disturbing part about it is that people are allowed to open bars in Burma. People are always going to drink alcohol, but it never was an accepted part of Burmese culture. Now it has become normal for young people to visit bars and discos instead of tea shops and pagodas. Secular westerners are polluting every civilized culture in Asia with their irreligious, disrespectful behaviour, and immoral ways of life.

This is disturbing, but unless the illegal immigration is addressed by proper and fair regulations, then there will be no end of the problems.
I think alcohol and prostitution was there in Buddha's time too.
No doubt Westerners spread the hard drugs to countries like China and Sri Lanka.
Westerners have left these countries for some time now.
So it is time to take some responsibility for ourselves.
We always see the problems (climate change etc) as external.
We should recognise that the problems are part of external as well as an internal.
:thinking:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

daverupa wrote:Utterly foolish behavior from the authorities, alas. Sigh.

religious countries
- no matter which one -
encourage the thoughtful
to pick up & run
Well, the US is probably the most religious country in the developed world, but I think I get your point. All the educated people have left the country and those that haven't are weighing their options. The country suffers from an unfathomably MASSIVE brain drain. My cousin graduates from university at the end of this year and she was asking me about work opportunities here in the UK. As I reflected on the education standards over there, I couldn't help but think, "Not a cold chance in hell."

I am confident that this sentence reflects neither the position of the informed, devout practising Buddhist community, nor the opinion of the upper-middle class and beyond. But in a country like Burma it's difficult to come out and condemn things like this in public. There's a significant risk of getting into trouble with the authorities or getting bullied by the angry mob of nationalists and religious purists.

Nothing more destructive than a crowd with the wrong idea.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
mal4mac

Post by mal4mac »

SarathW wrote: No doubt Westerners spread the hard drugs to countries like China...
Yup. British East India company:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o ... pium_trade" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Mal