Bhante Vimalaramsi

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Re: Bhante Vimalaramsi

Postby mirco » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:02 pm

tiltbillings wrote:How, or if, you respond to criticisms of Vimalaramsi is your choice. I can see that these criticisms are difficult for you,

Yeah, that is so true. Don't like it, but it's still like that. I tend to glorification.

tiltbillings wrote:and for whatever discomfort I may causing you with this, I am sorry.

That has reached me.

Kind Regards,
Mirco
Last edited by mirco on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I get what I give
mirco

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:26 pm

mirco wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:
Vimalaramsi wrote:Even today if you go to teachers of one-pointed concentration and ask them: “How does craving arise?” Or you ask them: “What is craving?” They can’t tell you.
Where has Ven. Vimalaramsi answered these questions? I had and could not find it precisely.

Here are two from the articles section:

If one listens to the talks or reads the transcipts, one will stumble over his explanations of what craving is and how it works over and over again.

Warm Regards,
Mirco

I see nothing in this that is unique.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby mirco » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:10 pm

Cittasanto wrote:
mirco wrote:

Good for you :-)
I get what I give
mirco

Postby Dan74 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:19 pm

Yes, most, if not all, teachers are imperfect. Even the Buddha made mistakes.

It is great to feel gratitude to the teacher who has brought the Dhamma into ones life and hard to see his faults sometimes. But if the teacher's intentions are basically good and there is some Right View, she/he can be a wonderful blessing inspite of the imperfections, I feel.

I am sorry if this is :offtopic: here, I don't know the teacher under discussion and I agree that "mine is the only way" rings alarm bells, but I hesitate to criticize.

As an aside anecdote, a fellow Buddhist Religious Ed teacher at the school I do this, is a student of a student of Geshe Micheal Roach, a Tibetan teacher who had gone off the rails some years ago. I actually had read a fair bit about it, but I never mentioned anything to her - it's all widely available and I am no judge of anyone else's practice. Instead a positive support is more useful I think...
_/|\_
Dan74

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:25 pm

mirco wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:
mirco wrote:

Good for you :-)

why good for me?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Billymac29 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:49 am

As stated earlier in this thread,if Vimalaramsi's technique works for you, then by all means use it.. I was just pointing out that his outlandish remarks of other teachers, ideas, and techniques (and his nonfactual story of Bhuddaghosa) are unintellectual, untrue, and unwarranted... He could have simply stated that this was his way of interpreting the suttas and that this technique works for him and left it at that.. Instead he tried to bad mouth very respected monks and teachers and make an unsuccessful attempt to downgrade and belittle others' practices and beliefs. Doing so without a shred of evidence on top of it.. Monks are not supposed to spread false truths (especially of other good monastics), I find that this is hard for him to follow.

may all be well
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
Billymac29

Previous

Return to Theravāda for the modern world