I follow this, what does it make me?

Three marks of existence
Five aggregates
Dependent arising
Karma and rebirth
The four noble truths
The Noble Eightfold Path
Nirvana

P.S. I don't worship any image or statue of Buddha, I do not make offerings or pray for blessings and fortune to Buddha statues or any other rituals.
past is dead

Re: What tradition do you follow?

Postby rohana » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:44 am

I selected "Classical Theravada" based on some sources (Bhikkhu Bōdhi, Ñyānapōnika Thera, Rērukāne Chandavimala Thera, Viṣuddhimagga based material, etc) - and "Suttanta" (Thanissaro Bhikkhu, Katukurundē Ñānānanda Thera), also "Sri Lankan" (all of the above sources except for Thanissaro Bhikkhu), and capped it all off with "Theravada in general".

In future I plan to read more matertial from the many wonderful Burmese Sayādaw's so then I'd have to include "Burmese" as well.
"Delighting in existence, O monks, are gods and men; they are attached to existence, they revel in existence. When the Dhamma for the cessation of existence is being preached to them, their minds do not leap towards it, do not get pleased with it, do not get settled in it, do not find confidence in it. That is how, monks, some lag behind."
- It. p 43
rohana

Postby PadmaPhala » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:03 am

Thai Forest, Zen Rinzai, Nyingmapa.

Samyak Buddha Shakyamuni's Dharma has reached as far as the Pleiades!
PadmaPhala

Postby Zenainder » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:38 pm

Theravada "in general" category is likely where I am "boxed". Like others here, I'm not interested in religious order, heiarchy, or politics; only the path. Otherwise, I draw primarily from Theravadist thought (Bhikkhu Bodhi, Ajhan Chah, Mahasi Shadow (sp?), Bhikkhu Nananada, to name the primary few). I was formally introduced to Buddhism, beyond my own indepedent thought, through Tibetan Buddhism and found religious nonsense had filled parts of their teachings. I shortly thereafter stumbled into Theravada after hearing an adherence to sutta orthodoxy --- which I find more appealing and real. How "orthodox" is the most "orthodox" way of the elders tradition, is likely up for debate. However, I think that its still a very relevant and streamline tradition when it regards liberation.

These are, of course, opinions.

Metta,

Zen
If the words "I", "me", or "you" are used, they are for the use of convenience related purposes. None of these exist, of course. ;)
Zenainder

Postby melancholy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:45 pm

i thought suttanta is the oldest, how can it be modern? appreciate if someone can explain.

i can say i follow what's in my signature.
Then the Blessed One said to Ven. Ananda, "Now, if it occurs to any of you — 'The teaching has lost its authority; we are without a Teacher' — do not view it in that way. Whatever Dhamma & Vinaya I have pointed out & formulated for you, that will be your Teacher when I am gone.
-DN 16, trans. Thanissaro Bhikkhu
melancholy

Postby andyebarnes67 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:38 pm

Buckwheat wrote:I still meditate, and I look more or less like a Buddhist to outsiders.

What does a Buddhist 'look like'? :thinking:
Metta

Andy Barnes
About.me
andyebarnes67

Postby chris98e » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:01 am

Because I just read the Nikayas and go to a Buddhist Temple once in a while I guess I follow general Theravada.
I didn't even know there was a difference between Thai Forest Buddhism and just Thai Buddhism. :reading: :bow: :thumbsup:
chris98e

Previous

Return to Theravāda for the modern world